• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

So you are giving me a £400 hardship payment and then freezing my bill at £525 more?

Gee. Thanks, you cunts.
Just listening to LBC and a contributor (Richard Murphy - Economist Sheffield University) states that this way of doing it might not reduce inflation as it will be seen as a subsidy to the full cost and the full cost would be used for inflation figures.

It's as half baked as Rish!'s original plan of a loan that isn't a loan but it is a loan. Which he had to bin.

This can't be it, it's not even close to a plausible solution, even short term.

The Government will be setting energy prices? Can't help thinking there's a better way of doing that... 🤔

It's as half baked as Rish!'s original plan of a loan that isn't a loan but it is a loan. Which he had to bin.

This can't be it, it's not even close to a plausible solution, even short term.

Especially when the underlying theme (regardless of cost) is the reduction in consumption to meet net-zero to ' save the planet '. Van Der Leyen suggests the EU nations reduce consumption of gas by 15%. Now, these corporations will think 'fockin ell' how will that affect our profits and the city likewise will think ' fockin ell' if these major corporations are reporting lower profits that will 'fock' other things up.

Extinction Rebellion seem fairly quiet on the subject and will quietly go about their business smashing service stations up and gluing themselves to roads while Edwina Currie seems to be an unofficial spokesman for Insulate Britain. I am not sure any politician in the UK has any real control over any of this.

Our monthly fuel bill went up to 193 not long ago. New email received stating it now goes up to just under 260 per month. Mrs jelly says she feels she's working just to pay the gas & electric bill.

. Mrs jelly says she feels she's working just to pay the gas & electric bill.
And soon she will be working just to pay the gas and electric bill with an added bonus of paying the energy firms a bit extra to ensure their profits don't suffer

Some families here have their pre-payments put up from €200 to €1200 a month just for gas. Apparently a pensioner has been told to pay €2268 a MONTH, up from €165.

I expect legal challenges, which will see it come down but how the fuck is almost anyone able to pay that??

in a meeting about students, and learning that the uni is expecting lots of students to spend a lot more time on campus to save money on utilities, and they're extending building opening hours, have also installed a lot more plug sockets, and some buildings will have blankets available in the evenings!

42BCF081-8486-4F1A-93C0-97AE85CC2535.jpeg
Essentially, unless you’re a top earner, very soon (if not already) you would be better off living in Eastern Europe.

View attachment 5989
Essentially, unless you’re a top earner, very soon (if not already) you would be better off living in Eastern Europe.
I'd like to see the figures from Eastern Europe (and Southern Europe).
Not that I'm saying you're wrong, we absolutely need to level up wages.
Watched a documentary a few years ago comparing us to Germany, at the time the average wage was quite similar, however a far larger proportion of the population were on or slightly above the average in Germany.

I'd like to see the figures from Eastern Europe (and Southern Europe).
Not that I'm saying you're wrong, we absolutely need to level up wages.
Watched a documentary a few years ago comparing us to Germany, at the time the average wage was quite similar, however a far larger proportion of the population were on or slightly above the average in Germany.
You can, quite literally, click the link and do so.

Basically if your household is in the top 3% (take home of £84k+) you're on par with Europe.

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.
https://www.ft.com/content/ef265420-45e8-497b-b308-c951baa68945

Starting at the top of the ladder, Britons enjoy very high living standards by virtually any benchmark. Last year the top-earning 3 per cent of UK households each took home about £84,000 after tax, equivalent to $125,000 after adjusting for price differences between countries. This puts Britain’s highest earners narrowly behind the wealthiest Germans and Norwegians and comfortably among the global elite. So what happens when we move down the rungs? For Norway, it’s a consistently rosy picture. The top 10 per cent rank second for living standards among the top deciles in all countries; the median Norwegian household ranks second among all national averages, and all the way down at the other end, Norway’s poorest 5 per cent are the most prosperous bottom 5 per cent in the world. Norway is a good place to live, whether you are rich or poor. Britain is a different story. While the top earners rank fifth, the average household ranks 12th and the poorest 5 per cent rank 15th. Far from simply losing touch with their western European peers, last year the lowest-earning bracket of British households had a standard of living that was 20 per cent weaker than their counterparts in Slovenia.

Using mean figures is always misleading.

Let's say there are 10 houses on a street. 1 earns £2m a year, 5 all earn £40k a year, 2 are on minimum wage (around £17k for a full-time 35 hours a week job) and 2 are out of work.

The "average wage" by that reckoning is £223,400 a year. Or if you just ignore the unemployed people as Government statistics often do, £279,250. Wow, that street must be doing great! Except actually four of the households are absolutely fucked at the moment (two of them will probably get evicted and end up homeless soon), and five are feeling the pinch and having to cut back, despite earning decent money. Richie Rich in the big house on the corner probably reckons they all just need to work harder.

And while there's some simplification and exaggerating for effect there, we actually do have that kind of inequality in the UK.

Thats the gist of the article. outwardly the UK, & US, look fine - but actually the disparity in earnings is shocking. You end up with some of the most deprived parts of the developed world being very near to some of the most expensive enclaves.

Its not sustainable, eventually the system will crack.

I remember Cerys Matthews (who we can assume does ok financially) put up a picture of the damage to Grenfell. Someone asked what she was doing there, she said "I can see it, I'm in my back garden".

You've genuinely got mansions next door to what was not much better than slum housing. Ridiculous country.

Just had an email from Eonnext to tell us about the price rise from Oct 1st. They're taking off the 400 quid monthly, so £67 per month and we're already 400 quid in credit which overall means our monthly payment is reducing by £30.
On the face of it, it seems like a result apart from the fact we'll be paying it off for the rest of our lives.

Mansfield are bringing forward kick off times to 1pm to save electricity. I can see that many league/non league clubs will have to follow this example.

Maybe Wolves could start a new initiative by not putting the lights on at all. Then I could both go to the match, which I love, but not have to see Bruno or his football. From what I've seen of the opposition so far this season I've got a feeling this idea has got legs with other clubs.

Mansfield are bringing forward kick off times to 1pm to save electricity. I can see that many league/non league clubs will have to follow this example.
Surely LED floodlights use little energy

Echoes of the 1970s there, when there were no floodlit matches at all for a little while, iirc. I seem to recall going to Bramall Lane on a Tuesday afternoon, or was that just a bad dream?

Back