• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

Our heating has been coming on for a short time in the morning for about a week, stat is is set to 18 for 6.30 am

There are still windows open in our house. There will be no heating on until they are all shut!

was in the office the other day, and a few others were asking if people had the heating on yet. what also surprised me in that discussion was how many people have mortgages coming to an end in the next 6-12 months.

We just moved into a A+++ insulated house and the difference is incredible. I'm still sweating during the day, and opening windows. The house is warm but we have no heating on yet. The only gas we use is to heat the water. If I take the bins out, I can notice the warmth when I go.back indoors. It's weird, we dont have the oven on or anything hot enough to head the house but its currently warm enough to not need heating

My heating is still set at 17°C from the spring when it warmed up. It came on yesterday morning for about an hour and a half.

So after posting earlier about our house being warm without the heating being on, I looked through the manual that we were given when we moved in and it turns out we have a heat recovery unit on the attic called an MVHR. Anyone know anything about them?
It seems they filter the incoming air and also heat it before circulating it around the house? We have 2 zones in the house that have temp controls, upstairs and downstairs and I thought they were set to the central heating (if I set the dial to 21° upstairs, the radiators upstairs come on and heat it up to 21°) but could the MVHR also be controlling the temp too?

Our electric bill has been nearly halved today. A very pleasant surprise.

You entitled lot need to stop watching Netflix and start sitting in the dark more.

Our electric bill has been nearly halved today. A very pleasant surprise.

You entitled lot need to stop watching Netflix and start sitting in the dark more.
Absolutely, doesn't seem that long ago we were sitting in the dark playing monopoly by candle light...never did us any harm.

poor jokes aside we were victims of energy price gouging before it was cool. Our then supplier was attempting to screw us out of £229 per month for a one bed flat on the small side over a year ago. We binned them off and were paying £119 elsewhere and they emailed yesterday saying they've adjusted our monthly amount based on our usage to £69.

Our mortgage fix ends in June so I’ll be right in the thick of it. While I can find a way to pay the kinds of sums I’ve been reading about, I’m not sure my current bank will agree and will try and put me on a variable so it means my broker will be a busy boy this spring and it’s also probably bye bye any kind of luxury for the forceable. I have a good job, the wife also works full time too. Makes me think if I’m in that kind of position I dread to think the state the economy will be in 18 months from now. Still at least my pension pot is…..oh.

Fun times.

poor jokes aside we were victims of energy price gouging before it was cool. Our then supplier was attempting to screw us out of £229 per month for a one bed flat on the small side over a year ago. We binned them off and were paying £119 elsewhere and they emailed yesterday saying they've adjusted our monthly amount based on our usage to £69.
Is that them adjusting your DD to take in account the £400 over the 6 months or on top of that?

Octopus Energy emailed us 2 days ago to say they were adjusting ours to include that money. Had the option to leave our DD payment the same and have the £400 added to our credit each month. We took that option.

So after posting earlier about our house being warm without the heating being on, I looked through the manual that we were given when we moved in and it turns out we have a heat recovery unit on the attic called an MVHR. Anyone know anything about them?
It seems they filter the incoming air and also heat it before circulating it around the house? We have 2 zones in the house that have temp controls, upstairs and downstairs and I thought they were set to the central heating (if I set the dial to 21° upstairs, the radiators upstairs come on and heat it up to 21°) but could the MVHR also be controlling the temp too?
I'm no engineer but presuming that you don't live in a fully mechanically ventilated house I would assume that the MVHR is for your bathroom (and possibly) kitchen ventilation, it will use the warmth of the outgoing air to heat the new incoming air so that its not so cold. Thereby helping to reduce your heating bills

If your house has a wet heating system (ie radiators) this is what will control your heating, the MVHR in this case is just increasing the temperature of fresh air it replaces in the bathroom

Hmm, made the mistake of checking my retirement account today, hopefully it recovers quite quickly after todays news, getting rid of dumb and dumber would no doubt help too, wonder how long they'll last?

Hmm, made the mistake of checking my retirement account today, hopefully it recovers quite quickly after todays news, getting rid of dumb and dumber would no doubt help too, wonder how long they'll last?
If you are close to your retirement date wouldn't the fund be invested in safe products so that it has less chance to fall?

If you are close to your retirement date wouldn't the fund be invested in safe products so that it has less chance to fall?
Im already retired (early) it's no longer a pension plan, it's a retirement account which I'm drawing down on. I chose the least risk option so it's pretty safe. It's only dropped a couple of times over-the-counter last 2 years due to covid, Russian invasion and now the 2 numpties.
It's always recovered quickly and well.
I'm just very risk averse so I have a panic when it drops a little. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Not sure where to stick this (Liz/Royals/Energy) but...

Households could experience a series of three-hour power cuts this winter if Vladimir Putin shuts off gas supplies from Russia and Britain experiences a cold snap, National Grid has warned.

Such an event would mean consumers in different parts of the country being notified a day in advance of three-hour blocks of time during which their power would be cut off, in an effort to reduce total consumption by 5%.

The emergency plan would need to be approved by King Charles on the recommendation of the business secretary.

Why has it been announced that the King would have to approve it. Surely this is a Government thing and as such only gets signed off as a matter of course by the monarch. Is this the Government attaching the kings name to negative news?
I can't remember stories that the Queen would have to sign off the Rwanda policy.

Back