• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crystal Palace 3-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Fair enough, I just wish the Club would have put more thought into his replacement even though it was close to the beginning of the season instead of panicking.

Better than the opposite we have now.
I'm sure you won't have too long to get your wish. Let's just hope they replace him with someone better. Do you trust them to do that? Zenga, Lage, Lambert, O'Neil... there's a pattern.

We should've paid the money for Conceição when we had the chance a few years ago.

Except we don't know what he really wanted. Apart from maybe to make himself very rich from a very healthy contract (and his son by the way, who was mysteriously qualified to be Head of scouting). And raise his profile so he could get a better job as soon as one came along. Which you know, I know, everyone knows he would have done as soon as a bigger club came along.
We don’t know what he really wanted - though within the same breath you, me, and indeed all of us, know it full well apparently. Glorious logic.

We don’t know what he really wanted - though within the same breath you, me, and indeed all of us, know it full well apparently. Glorious logic.
Two different things but you go ahead and kid yourself that he was here because he'd bought into the Wolves project.

He was here because he was paid exceptionally well and lead to believe he'd have a punchers chance of taking a team to the lower European places. Then through no fault of his own things changed. I'm far from a Lopetegui fan, but we can't pretend he didn't have the rug pulled, not once, but twice

Last edited:
Two different things but you go ahead and kid yourself that he was here because he'd bought into the Wolves project.
It’s obviously an awful argument when you state one can’t know someone’s state of mind and then immediately categorically claim you can. Clearly.
Who gives a sht if he ‘bought into a project’? He was here to win and when he wasn’t given what he needed to do that he went. I’d rather none of that had happened, weirdly enough. You’d rather have a good old British shouty man - enjoy it while it lasts.

He was here because he's was paid exceptionally well and lead to believe he'd have a punchers chance of taking a team to the lower European places. Then through no fault of how own things changed. I'm far from a Lopetegui fan, but we can't pretend he didn't have the rug pulled, not once, but twice
I agree that certainly the goalposts were moved. But he was already making noises before the end of last season about not being happy here. I don't actually trust the owners, but I sure as shit don't trust him. And I'm not bothered he's gone. I just wish it would have happened sooner so we could have got a proper replacement.

I agree that certainly the goalposts were moved. But he was already making noises before the end of last season about not being happy here. I don't actually trust the owners, but I sure as shit don't trust him. And I'm not bothered he's gone. I just wish it would have happened sooner so we could have got a proper replacement.
End of the season was he when he got rugged for the first time!

Lots of clubs want a better striker but it seems to me that our problem is how we tend to slow / stop playing when we reach the box. We literally stop the ball more times than not instead of throwing it in the box like Palace did for their first goal. If strikers are expecting quick service, they'll take the gamble of trying to get on the end of it. Instead, we try to walk the ball into goal.

Also, we had 3 or 4 opportunities to hit the ball just outside the box, not once did we try. I remember Ian Greaves, when he was our manager, making all players have pops at goal from 30 yards in training fairly regularly. As a result, we scored more goals from that distance. We just don't do it anymore and we only ever had the odd Neves wonderstrike in the last few years to go on.

We've pretty much changed our playing staff in the last 12 mths but the same issue remains. Start scoring goals when we are dominant and a lot of our issues disappear.
Good post.

Our shooting is abysmal. Neto used to be capable of striking the ball supremely well.

But I still think Fabio is some way off the required pace despite undoubtedly having the technique. Cunha is a frustrating player who I fear won’t get too many goals either.

It’s gonna be a long hard season again. Well worth every penny of the £630 :)-.

But, we are Wolves and you supports your team through small wedges of thick and the copious amounts of thin.

What a strange game. As comfortable as I've seen us for a long time when Palace score from nowhere. Deserved equaliser and then should have gone on to at least draw. 2nd goal killed us though and it all went to shit.
Thank fuck for that. Thought I was the only one who saw it that way.

It's another poor result, we can't get away from that. Performance wise it was pretty even. Palace took their chances during their period of dominance, we didn't. Sadly a recurring theme.

The positives; we had a go, we scored two.

I did think there was one area where we did well, for large parts of the first half we were really good at pinching the ball back off them high up the pitch, Lemina especially, backed up by Gomes and Cunha. Unfortunately we wasted some really good opportunities by our slowwww play afterwards.

I did think there was one area where we did well, for large parts of the first half we were really good at pinching the ball back off them high up the pitch, Lemina especially, backed up by Gomes and Cunha. Unfortunately we wasted some really good opportunities by our slowwww play afterwards.
That's a recurring theme for a while,now I wonder if it's a confidence thing, I will go safe rather than try something ?

Good post.

Our shooting is abysmal. Neto used to be capable of striking the ball supremely well.

But I still think Fabio is some way off the required pace despite undoubtedly having the technique. Cunha is a frustrating player who I fear won’t get too many goals either.

It’s gonna be a long hard season again. Well worth every penny of the £630 :)-.

But, we are Wolves and you supports your team through small wedges of thick and the copious amounts of thin.
Fabio isn’t just “off the pace”.

He’s fucking abysmal.

It’s a managerial instruction thing. Hence why he tried to shut up shop for a point against a shit team with 25 minutes to go.

It’s a managerial instruction thing. Hence why he tried to shut up shop for a point against a shit team with 25 minutes to go.
I only saw the second half, I thought we were out-thought by Woy.
Palace were fairly happy to let us have the ball, up to the last twenty-five yards of their goal. We don't move the ball quick enough to be a real threat, We're easy to defend against.
Their defence and midfield were organised and well regimented.
Whereas our defence gets pulled all over the shop. Both from wide areas and the central areas getting dragged out towards the ball.
My hope is a combination of Santi, Toti and Johnny can be utilised to improve things, but I'm clutching at straws tbh.

I only saw the second half, I thought we were out-thought by Woy.
Palace were fairly happy to let us have the ball, up to the last twenty-five yards of their goal. We don't move the ball quick enough to be a real threat, We're easy to defend against.
Their defence and midfield were organised and well regimented.
Whereas our defence gets pulled all over the shop. Both from wide areas and the central areas getting dragged out towards the ball.
My hope is a combination of Santi, Toti and Johnny can be utilised to improve things, but I'm clutching at straws tbh.
No surprise really, Hodgson isn't the most exciting coach but he's been top class for 30+ years, GON has coached (head coach) what, less than a season?

Back