• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crystal Palace (A) 18/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind you, there's one. In the days where we'd win and Dave Edwards would do absolutely fuck all to contribute to it, people would say "you never change a winning team"*.

Bet about 1% of Wolves fans would play Toti over Collins tomorrow, despite us winning AND keeping a clean sheet, you ungrateful bastards.

*Obviously such a fucking nonsense statement and always has been

I'm going with Guedes as I've seen him trap a ball properly, a skill that seems sadly beyond Hwang. Around £15M must be the cut-off nowadays for that skill to be in your armoury.

Kinda related but it bugs me how few professional footballers can ping a ball into the box etc with accuracy AND pace. Like, anyone can float a decent ball in, we could all do that.

Kinda related but it bugs me how few professional footballers can ping a ball into the box etc with accuracy AND pace. Like, anyone can float a decent ball in, we could all do that.
They can all do it, and I mean all. The technical level of a professional footballer is exceptional compared to any of us.

The difference is then trying to do it under pressure or aim for a particular spot where the runners should be. When we watch we don't account for defenders or the pace at which pros move. It's so much different under those conditions and we all forget it.

Guedes has been playing top flight football since 2014/15. He has topped 5 goals once, last season.

Grant Holt and Marlon Harewood got into double figures in the Premier League once, do not expect Guedes to do anything, that was totally at odds with his career as a whole in multiple countries.
My expectations of Guedes are very low but I’d favour him over Hwang on the basis very low is still higher than zero.

They can all do it, and I mean all. The technical level of a professional footballer is exceptional compared to any of us.

The difference is then trying to do it under pressure or aim for a particular spot where the runners should be. When we watch we don't account for defenders or the pace at which pros move. It's so much different under those conditions and we all forget it.

I think there's a mentality/bravery issue with it, like you say, it's definitely not a technical ability issue

I'm always impressed by just how good professional footballers are when they aren't under the pressures of match conditions.

Yep, even the 'shittest' will generally school a regular Joe on the pitch, even when retired

I've seen Leon Clarke play in the Wolverhampton 7 aside League. He didn't school anyone (well maybe our current lot as he missed an open goal)

Yep, even the 'shittest' will generally school a regular Joe on the pitch, even when retired
I once scored in a game that also featured ex-Oldham and Man City winger Rick Holden.

He was not taking it entirely seriously I suspect and was about twice the size of when he played pro. But it's on my LinkedIn nonetheless.

Imagine if we won tomorrow evening..........you'd most likely see Davis's name added to the possibilities !

This!! How many players do you see, lining up a corner kick putting both arms in the air (whatever the fuck that means) then puts in a cross that goes no higher than 6 feet, doesn't get past the 1st defender, that goes nowhere near a Wolves player? (Moutino I'm looking at you, but not exclusively)

The yield off corners is and always has been really low.

Bet you a tiny amount of David Beckham or Cesc Fabregas's assists will have come off corners and they will have taken thousands.

They hit the first man because they're trying to hit an incredibly difficult area. Any idiot can lob one in. Yay, he beat the first man. And you'll score exactly 0 goals per season doing that.

Bet you a tiny amount of David Beckham or Cesc Fabregas's assists will have come off corners and they will have taken thousands.

They hit the first man because they're trying to hit an incredibly difficult area. Any idiot can lob one in. Yay, he beat the first man. And you'll score exactly 0 goals per season doing that.
Well Dan, from my enormously experienced position on the back of this high horse, I can't fully agree with your last sentence, tell me why is it such an incredibly difficult area?
What is so difficult about it?
The ball isn't moving, you haven't got a defender up your arse, Just take your time and put it where you always put it in practice.
And to your next bit, it seems that no, very few idiots can lob it in. We spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get wingers to run in and get a decent cross in, with everything moving real fast.
So why is it all of a sudden so fucking difficult to get a standing ball past the 1st 2 defenders?

Because you're trying to put it at high pace in exactly the right area and hitting a dead ball is not fucking easy, is it. Like Harry Kane has literally scored 1 free kick ever from however many attempts, and that took a huge deflection.

Next up, I don't know what the fuss is about Tiger Woods, I could hit a ball with a stick.

Come on mate.

4% is the stat isn’t it, although I don't think that's necessarily a full representation in terms of second phases, penalties etc

There was one coach, can't remember who, not in the UK, who instructed his teams to just hit their corners into the side netting because it was statistically more likely that you'd concede on the counter from a corner than actually score yourself...

There was one coach, can't remember who, not in the UK, who instructed his teams to just hit their corners into the side netting because it was statistically more likely that you'd concede on the counter from a corner than actually score yourself...
100% Lage was inspired by that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back