• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crystal Palace (H) 30/10 Build-up & Match Thread

"Premier League clubs agree to review of PPV price: decision on Nov 5 but no change to £14.95 price for those games over the next two weekends. PL has earned £5.2m (gross) from first 9 PPV games:"

They've made a killing early on and will now continue... Again I say fuck 'em

If there is a drop off because of a boycott they may consider a price drop

It isn’t a killing. It’s 38k viewers per game. That’s tiny. And that’s the average that will have been skewed by a Liverpool and I think United match in there.

Not sure about Neto playing the whole game, to me he is used in a similar way we used to use Cavaleiro i.e. runs himself into the ground and is usually blowing hard by about 75 minutes.
think its harsh on Podence to say he's just flicks and tricks, he's created quite a few chances and had a few shots on target, just a matter of time till he scores a couple.
Traore I'm not sure about, been a bit crap so far and seems to just wonder about in a daze most of the time, wouldn't be averse to see how he does starting.
..............................Rui
...........Boly........Coady.......Kilman
Semedo.......Donk.....Neves......RAN
........Neto........Raul....Podence

Put me down in the Ait-Nouri to start camp.

Unfortunately Nuno is predictable - and to that end, it will obviously be Marcal or Saiss. If Ait-Nouri couldn’t get off the bench on Sunday, he’s got no hope of starting on Friday.

I’ve also read “I hope we take the game to them” in every single build up thread for the last few months, but I can’t see that happening either. It just ain’t Nuno’s way.

I don't think we'll see RAN v Palace, I think he's gonna be one of those that none of us have really seen much of but week after week seems more like the missing link.

Marcal to start for me, he seems to be Jonny lite and will give some cover for Max but be a more natural fit than Romain.

I don't think chopping and changing is going to help us settle into a new playing style/frame of mind.

Nuno needs to get us a settled XI, develop some confidence and partnerships and then introduce newbs like RAN, Hoever, Vitinha and Fabio over time. Neto and Kilman are young too but they've been around the team for a while now.

Personally I think people have been very quick to give up on Adama; he's frustrating but he's still a special talent. I'd give him a start and see if him and Nelson can start forging an understanding. Neto keeps his place as I feel he's more of a goal threat than Pod, harsh on Pod perhaps.

........................ Rui
......... Boly.... Coady... Kilman........
Semedo...Donk....Neves......Marcal
....Traore...........Raul........Neto.......

Ait Nouri is talent-wise ready. He was excellent against PSG. Is he system ready though? That’s the question Nuno must ponder.

Your thinking is right but I would have Podence in the 10 place and Neto alongside Raul to start.

Rui
Boly Coady Kilman
Semedo Neves Donk RAN
Podence
Neto Raul
good lord man, I was reading through the thread and thinking this.
I am now terrified! ;)

Clear consensus - wing backs need to offer the width, forwards need to be closer to Raul.
Personally, I also would like to see Raul dropping deep less, or at least not as deep as he has been recently.

I don't think we'll see RAN v Palace, I think he's gonna be one of those that none of us have really seen much of but week after week seems more like the missing link.

Marcal to start for me, he seems to be Jonny lite and will give some cover for Max but be a more natural fit than Romain.

I don't think chopping and changing is going to help us settle into a new playing style/frame of mind.

Nuno needs to get us a settled XI, develop some confidence and partnerships and then introduce newbs like RAN, Hoever, Vitinha and Fabio over time. Neto and Kilman are young too but they've been around the team for a while now.

Personally I think people have been very quick to give up on Adama; he's frustrating but he's still a special talent. I'd give him a start and see if him and Nelson can start forging an understanding. Neto keeps his place as I feel he's more of a goal threat than Pod, harsh on Pod perhaps.

........................ Rui
......... Boly.... Coady... Kilman........
Semedo...Donk....Neves......Marcal
....Traore...........Raul........Neto.......
Don't think people have given up on Traore, just he's not playing well atm, so as we have other options they tend to go for them

It's a circular situation, he's in rubbish form so we can't pick him (this has not just been when he played at RWB, all his sub appearances have been awful and he was dire from the start vs both Stoke and West Ham), but if he doesn't play then he probably isn't going to pick up very much. I don't have the answer there.

He is always going to be very hit and miss, you're never going to get week in, week out performances from him. We didn't get that last season and that was by a monumental distance the best sustained spell of form he has ever had in his entire career.

Yeah, he needs to find some form. The way for that to happen might be a run of games though, I suppose. His best form for us has been on the right of the three with Raul and Neto from about October last year through to January. He had seemed to get the balance of receiving inside and dribbling rather than just hugging the touchline, which he is doing too much of currently IMO.

also, i will be avoiding spending fifteen quid in answer to kennys q.

He is always going to be very hit and miss, you're never going to get week in, week out performances from him. We didn't get that last season and that was by a monumental distance the best sustained spell of form he has ever had in his entire career.
Why? Do you think that is too much to ask, his involvement (although spectacular when successful) is minimal at best.

Just the nature of the player. He's not a Beckham type player where you know what you'll get every single game.

Much more like Sako* where there are quite a few 9/10s but when you get a 1/10 (and there'll be quite a lot of them) then you know it.

*Steady on Alan, before you start :D

I do miss old Bakary.

Jokes aside, the comparison is valid.

The conundrum with Adama is that, in spite of his frustrations, he's still a player that the opposition take notice of, and also potentially a big saleable asset for the club. It's not in our interests to let that depreciate.

He's taken a step back since his peaks last season, that's for sure. I agree with DW in that it's a circular situation, although when we've been poor this season it's not solely on Adama.

He needs games, for me (I'd like to find some way of utilising him more centrally, so he's less likely to revert to pointless winger mode), and although Neto and Pod have started the season and done well, neither are undroppable IMO.

The key for me is the partnerships. Which two play best with Raul? We're a stronger team if Nuno can integrate Adama again this season, but he already has his hands full evolving our play and integrating the new players. He has a job on his hands for sure!

For me, it needs a bit of time for Nuno to work with him again - his best spells have always followed a bit of concentrated training time, so I have hope that he’ll start getting back to his best soon now Nuno has some time with him/the team.

You only have to look at how dangerous he was when he played for Spain to know what he can do. So played in a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 or any formation that uses a genuine wide option then he’s going to be very effective. Unfortunately we don’t get the most out of him in our 3-4-3 with him out wide. It worked OK with Doc as he would get himself in the box or combine with Raul.

So we’ve got 3 options.
1) get him to play narrower
2) sell him
3) change the system.

1) is the best thing to do, 3) isn’t going to happen. I don’t know what fee we could get for him

It's going to be a tough game, Palace look good. However, in my opinion if you stop Zaha you stop Palace. What do people think of targeting Zaha. Maybe Donk man marking Zaha

Back