• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Decent commentators

More Barry, England vs Cameroon in 1990:

"EkekeEEEEEEEEEEE.....And Cameroon lead! 'Where were you again', says Peter Shilton!"

Bit before my time but I quite like David Coleman's abruptness in his commentary. "Rush - Dalglish - 1-0 Liverpool!"

How'd i forget this guy?. I probably should start thinking outside of the football box for commentators. Murray walker was superb, although did occasionaly let himself down with quotes such as "The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical" :D

Also massively have enjoyed Anthony Davidson and David Croft on 5live for their F1 commentary over last couple seasons aswell as Martin Brundle for his knowledgable input.

Murray Walker and James Hunt just shouldn't have worked but it did, in their pomp, to perfection. I only found out recently that Hunt used to drink more or less constantly during comms. Shouldn't be surprised though I guess.

My favourite moment of Murray Walker's was when Damon Hill won the Championship and a teary Murray came out with "I have to stop talking as I have a lump in my throat"

Oh, and Martin Tyler really is excellent.

Probably the best around right now.

Who is the other one Sky use (he did our game at Anfield? I need his name for the Bellend thread)

Also massively have enjoyed Anthony Davidson and David Croft on 5live for their F1 commentary over last couple seasons aswell as Martin Brundle for his knowledgable input.

I've mucked about with the red button options on F1 before now, and whilst I really like Davidson and Croft, I miss Brundle enough to have put up with Jonathan Legard. I'm not convinced that Coulthard will be good, but I guess we'll find out.

On football, I appear to be the only person in Britain who thinks that Jacqui Oatley did a decent job.

My favourite moment of Murray Walker's was when Damon Hill won the Championship and a teary Murray came out with "I have to stop talking as I have a lump in my throat"

That really was lovely stuff. Not just in a Partridgean way.

More Barry, England vs Cameroon in 1990:

"EkekeEEEEEEEEEEE.....And Cameroon lead! 'Where were you again', says Peter Shilton!"

Bit before my time but I quite like David Coleman's abruptness in his commentary. "Rush - Dalglish - 1-0 Liverpool!"

Where, or more precisely how, in god's name do you store all this info?

Anyway, I have had to google some Barry Davies quotes and found the following which I had forgotten about

1) Interesting......very Interesting

2) and of course the two words which summed up how all of england felt when Southgate missed the penalty in 1996 - "Oh No!"

Where, or more precisely how, in god's name do you store all this info?

It's one of life's great mysteries.

I am also superb at any "Guess the Intro" or "Guess the Year" for songs between about 1993 and 2006. It's highly useful, as you can imagine.

One day, I will find a use for all of this. Otherwise I've essentially wasted my life, or brain, or both.

The best around at the moment is Martin Tyler, but my favourite of all time was Barry Davies. Someone who realised that a decent commentator doesn't have to continually talk. Sometimes, it's good to just watch or take in the atmosphere. Barry was perfect for football (and of course the World Stare Out Championships). A great piece of Barry Davies commentary? The Rene Higuita scorpion kick. How many other commentators would have just laughed? I can't think of any who wouldn't have thought of something to say to ruin the comedic moment.

And I'll never forget watching this back in 1991:

"That is schoolboy's own stuff....."

Others who I like:

Andy Gray (never understood why he got so much abuse from people)
Lee Dixon
Leonardo (the 2006 World Cup was made better by his presence)
Clarence Seedorf
Jurgen Klinsmann
Steve Wilson
Our Mick
Don Goodman

There are plenty of decent commentators and pundits out there, but I'm noticing the trend for 'state the fucking obvious' style commentators is coming back - take a bow Kevin Phillips. I'll let him off for now as he's new to the role, but we want EXPERT ANALYSIS not basic summaries for the blind. Trevor Francis was always the worst for that - I actually think he's improved of late.

I thought the Tyler/Gray combination was the best so I was a bit annoyed that Gray got the boot (more annoyed with him for being such a twat though....).

I've always loved how Coogan made Alan Partridge into such a dreadful Barry Davies wannabe.

Walker and Hunt shouldn't have worked and they certainly didn't get on at first. In so many it ways added to the fun of watching F1. A passionate, jumper-over-the-head commentator paired up with a man who'd been there and would speak his mind. Especially if it was Patrese. But it's a formula that works, no more so than with Brian Moore's often pithy but brilliant rugby analysis. In the early days there were some classic little cases where the camera would be on him, mike in hand, as they relayed a comment made by Laporte just to get a shot of his reaction! :D

A chap I've mentioned before and will again. Alan Hyde. Criminally underrated motorsports commentator, knows the racing inside out, has time for anyone and everyone, jesus he knows everyone and anyone in racing too and I don't think has a bad bone in his body. If I was at the BBC he would be on the motorsport roster, no question.

Co-commentators/ pundits I like:

Football: Lee Dixon (best around at the moment), Ray Wilkins and er, that's about it.

Non-football: Michael Johnson (absolute legend, best in any sport), John McEnroe, Mike Carlson (NFL on Five- he REALLY knows his shit).

Commentators I like:

Football: Steve Wilson (best one on MOTD), Conor McNamara (5 Live), Barry Davies (old school).

Non-football: David Coleman ("Jauntorena opens his legs and shows his class"...), Steve Cram (surprisingly good), Bill McLaren (natch), Gus Johnson (NFL on CBS).

Last edited:
McEnroe is a great shout. He's excellent.

Non-football: Michael Johnson (absolute legend, best in any sport)

Great call. Knowledgeable, articulate, the biggest legend in athletics in my lifetime (for me, anyway), absolutely forthright, superb.

I like Cram too. Sally Gunnell and Colin Jackson are both a waste of space, mind.

Great call. Knowledgeable, articulate, the biggest legend in athletics in my lifetime (for me, anyway), absolutely forthright, superb.

I like Cram too. Sally Gunnell and Colin Jackson are both a waste of space, mind.

Johnson is my all time sporting hero. Best athlete I've ever seen and when he speaks you listen.

Jackson is crap but in a quite endearing, harmless way, Gunnell is just annoying. She's got a face like a slapped arse and a really annoying nasally voice.

When I have occasionally played golf I've hit a few shots that are Sally Gunnells- not pretty but a good runner...

Gunnell is the queen of the "How do you feel?" interview to a sprinter who's just finished second by three hundredths of a second. How do you fucking think, you twat?

Gunnell is the queen of the "How do you feel?" interview to a sprinter who's just finished second by three hundredths of a second. How do you fucking think, you twat?

You do often get the bonus of Denise Lewis on the Beeb's athletics coverage though. She more than makes up for Gunnell...

Mike Carlson (NFL on Five- he REALLY knows his $#@!).

I believe he also used to the NHL on 5 too. He knew just as much about hockey as he did NFL, the guys like a north american sports knowledge machine. Brilliant to listen too especially as he can explain things really well for newcomers to the sports.

You do often get the bonus of Denise Lewis on the Beeb's athletics coverage though. She more than makes up for Gunnell...

Ah, our Denise. The pride of Wolverhampton.

I remember staying up for her efforts in Sydney 2000. Just magnificent. We probably need an athletics thread before I start ruining this one with reminisces of Steve Backley and pictures of Jess Ennis...being as you're the expert, you can start it.

Back