• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Derby 3-1 Wolves: The Verdict

That second goal is just horrible from our point of view. Coady absolutely burned, chugging away after pace merchant Johnny Russell like a Ford Granada chasing a Porsche 911, absolutely no-one tracking Johnson's run or cutting out a simple ball that's just rolled in to the near stick, and Burgoyne dives out of the way of the shot like a Brad Jones impersonator.

Oh the 1st 25 minutes was like that on both sides repeatedly,Derby played such an high tempo that the defending was all over the place and showed the full backs for what they are.....er not full backs.

The 23s group is being kept together as much as possible. Every effort going into promotion.

Yeah, do understand that. And in a way, it may not be a terrible thing them being kept out of firing like (or having anything to do with this shower of shit). Do think with a decent gap before their next games we could have seen a couple given places in squad or some minutes.

Where to begin.

Full backs..

Let's be honest, Coady and/or Saville filling in at full back might be ok against some shit show like Blackburn and Forest as a last resort as they didn't set up to play that way or the personnel that started weren't a threat.

Today, Ince and Russell had a field day. Just as March and Knockhaert did for Brighton. It was so easy. Suck the full back in and dink it/slide it behind for the runner, or cut inside and play a cross field pass to isolate the opposite full back. Repeat ad nausieum. We could've had no complaints at being 4 or 5-1 down at HT.

I can't express how poor a goal the second was. It was quickly distributed by the goalkeeper but the ball travelled 30-40 yards along the floor and our players watched it and backed off until Russell made a chimp out of Coady and the rest was history. It wasn't a swift counter attack it was entirely our own doing. The third goal wasn't much better, Bryson could've read War And Peace before picking his spot. Again, it came from exposing Coady on the right.

Dicko was one positive for me, looked sharp and promising, caused a mistake and got an (albeit) tame shot away, flashed another across goal and our goal simply doesn't happen without his strength and determination. That passage was the Nouha we know and love. I'm hopeful with preseason he comes back in the 2015 vintage.

For the opening 30 minutes Saiss was a bomb scare but he dug in after the sending off and cut out the silly errors. There's something there and I hope with some patience over summer he'll get a Bit more upto speed and offer much more. Evans flatters to deceive for me, he's had countless chances but I've never seen a great deal to get excited about. He did come into the game a bit in the closing quarter but that could be equally down to Derby putting their feet up.

Burgoyne - Not a lot to do in the grand scheme. Made a couple of saves but well beaten for the 1st and 3rd and saved by Edwards and the bar. 5

Coady - will never not try but was hideously exposed and beaten time and time again. 4
Williamson - Has shown today he isn't the messiah. We were chaotic at the back a few times so his legendary organising wasn't there. 5
Hause - generally speaking the standout performer at the back, not a high bar. 5.5
Saville - See Coady. 4

Cavaleiro - Few touches and tracked back once it became apparent his full back was compromised but that led to Dicko being more isolated and long balls. Didn't realise the sending off was for violent conduct, stupid. Oddly enough the sending off of our best technical player allowed for a better shape and Dicko came into the game more. 4
Edwards - won a corner in the first half and an interception in the second half. That should bag him 40 starts next season. Sticks when he should twist and twists when he should stick. 4.5
Evans - Anonymous in the first half, came into it and played more advanced once it went 3-1. 4
Saiss - bombscare early doors sloppy and invited pressure. better after the sending off. 5
Marshall - huffed and puffed, got one decent cross in which nobody attacked and was easily chested down to the GK. took his goal well. 5.5

Dicko - I don't know who the imposter was but this was Nouha Dicko. Made the goal and worked his nuts off for the cause. Goal was entirely his doing. Still more to come though. 6.5 MOTM

Subs

Bright - was bright. Got the ball and would look to bring it forwards and one great touch took him by two players as he got to the edge of the box he got a shot away but it was on his weaker foot so he didn't get hold of it. 6

JDB did fuck all, wasn't even good for chasing down. 3

I really hope they revamp the whole commentary side. Burrows is $#@! and 'say like' Thompson is a $#@!
I never listen to commentary and couldn't give a flying fuck what he said, but unless it is discriminatory on the grounds of race then to call Andy Thompson a cunt is bang out of order.

As has been said, Derby is an usual place to have found trouble, but clearly I hope the chap is well. I live there, but am in Madrid this weekend so wasn't at the game, but from the numerous times I've been to PP, win or lose, I've not felt intimidated. As for the game, it sounds like they were up for it and we weren't. For whatever reason they seem to reserve their best home performances of the season for us.

Last edited:
I never listen to commentary and couldn't give a flying fuck what he said, but unless it is discriminatory on the grounds of race then to call Andy Thompson a cunt is bang out of order.

If you say so. I can't stand him and think he is a bit of a prick, you think otherwise clearly.

On the red card.. Cav caught his man and the ref blew for a free kick. He called Cav to him but the Derby player confronted him. Edwards told him to come over to the ref and a second Derby player joined the first. I'm sure I'll be proved wrong by the highlights later but there didn't appear to be a clash of heads.

Yep, I watched the goals on C5 this morning and there was a movement of the head towards the Derby player. He kept working Cav till he got a reaction and he had to go. Left the referee with no other option

Yep, I watched the goals on C5 this morning and there was a movement of the head towards the Derby player. He kept working Cav till he got a reaction and he had to go. Left the referee with no other option

Ch5 only showed the first incident. He then got sucked in by somebody else and did the same again I think. Braindead, no thought for the teams or fans that travelled.

If you say so. I can't stand him and think he is a bit of a prick, you think otherwise clearly.

Wash you're mouth out. He used to win me bets nearly every week in the 80s and 90s. Thommo fust goalscorer and 2-0

Loved Thommo as a player, was never nervous when we got a penalty. At this rate he might be able to dust his boots off! As for Thommo the commentator not so keen albeit he's better than Butler.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

What has really disappointed me - and I do not think it augurs well for the summer or for next season - is the way Lambert has simply let this season fall away. There seems to be no pride, no desire at the moment and... well, I don't need to re-hash all the old arguments. But Lambert is making me lose interest: he's a dour, miserable $#@!, which I can tolerate if he is winning games, but if we're losing, learning nothing and just churning out the same old $#@!, what's the point? Anyway, there's the best bet of the football season on offer next week: some bookie might go 7/1 about Wolves 0-0 Preston...

This, simply not good enough and perhaps he is not the man to trust to get it right.

Sad to hear about the violence. We chatted to a few in the Harvester beforehand and they shook our hands and wished us well, after the game two different groups stopped us on the way back to the station and commented on our following and shook hands too. Only takes one though I guess.

As a seperate discussion point, (I can't really remember as I was only 14/15 at the time) but how poor was the squad that Dave Jones inherited in 00/01? Was it worse, equal to or better than the 16/17 vintage? Obviously football has moved on but I'm assuming there were equal amounts of deadwood to relegate/replace.

Regular team was along the lines of:

Oakes

Muscat
Pollet/Butler
Lescott
Naylor

Branch
Andrews/Dinning
Robinson
Sinton

Proudlock
Ndah

Marginally better I would say. Midfield was still fucking shit. Sinton had had it by this point, we'd already seen the best of Ludo, Lescott was very raw. We all love George but he was never much of a goalscorer. Muscat had a shite season.

DJ did worse with those players than Lambert has with this lot.

Tony Dinning was a Weird one at first he looked decent thought he was going to be a good signing. Then he gradually became bang average and moved on. Loved Ludo would walk into our team the Ludo of that time. In fact most of that lot would walk into our team.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Dining didnt fancy competition for his place and asked to leave before the start of 01/02. Thats one thing I remember from that time.

Yep, he bottled it when we signed Rae and Cameron. Played the first 3-4 games of 01/02 alongside Robinson but left pretty abruptly.

I'd wanted him (and Cooper) for ages from Stockport, he started brilliantly (he was absolutely class on debut vs Norwich, also when we drew 2-2 with Watford who were flying in the top two at the time) but tailed off, he had back problems and DJ didn't help matters by constantly switching him between centre half and midfield. His career properly faded away...left us in September 2001 when he was still only 26, carried on playing in the Football League until 2009 but we were the last team to ever receive a fee for him.

The 00/01 team looks fairly decent on paper (in comparison to now anyway) but we were utter crap. I've said before, McGhee and DJ both had awful half seasons when they arrived, worse than Lambert and then they went and finished 3rd the year after when they'd had chance to switch things around. DJ won two of his 10 home games that season and finished with an overall record of 6-5-8, 1.21 PPG which is frankly pathetic. As it turned out we were indebted to John Ward for picking up nine points from four games as caretaker over Christmas, without them we'd have gone down.

Back