• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Derby Build Up

Tony Towner

Reaction score
My local derby and I'm torn as to what team I would pick. Do we go 442 with the same team again, but Henry for RVLP and EEL for Stearman (if he doesn't make it) and just concentrate on our own game, or 451 bringing Edwards in for Dicko to try and negate Derby?

It would be madness to play 442 against the Derby of November as I think we'd be overrun again, but this isn't that team and they are highly unlikely (unless they are playing mind games) to have Martin fit who is pivotal to the way they play. So on balance I think I'd go 442 and go at them, but I wouldn't have an issue with a slightly more conservative approach with the intention of bringing Dicko on in the second half if required. If we did go that route I'd rather have RVLP in for Henry though for his pace

We will play Afobe and Dicko but Afobe will play deeper. He spent most of the 2nd half last night in the number 10 role. If Stearman is out, then Hause alongside Batth. Henry over RVP

............The Kster

Doherty....Batth....Stears or Hause.....Golbourne

Henry......Price......McDonald.......Sako

..................Afobe

..................Dicko

Afobe did just as much as Edwards ever has last night and some. Real technical ability, won headers, brought the ball down and held it up and good work rate on top of his obvious goal threat.

IMO it's 442 even when Edwards plays, so pick our best players and we give ourselves the best chance.

I think we have to go similar to last night. We have to be looking to score against them. They've not won in 5. Score in the first 20 & they could properly get the jitters. No good setting up to contain them.

I think it is telling KJ brought Ebanks Landell on for Stearman last night. I suspect if Stears isn't ready, then Ebanks Landell will deputise again. I hope Golbourne retains his position too.

Other than that, the only decision is VlP or Henry.

I think we have to go similar to last night. We have to be looking to score against them. They've not won in 5. Score in the first 20 & they could properly get the jitters. No good setting up to contain them.

I think it is telling KJ brought Ebanks Landell on for Stearman last night. I suspect if Stears isn't ready, then Ebanks Landell will deputise again. I hope Golbourne retains his position too.

Other than that, the only decision is VlP or Henry.

He might not have finished picking up the toys he threw out his pram last night when subbed

Going to this one. We owe them a stuffing after last time.

I won't have the kids in tow for this one so where's everyone meeting for a beer pre match?

A bit harsh? Since when do you care if Lycan shows up or not?

To be fair, if I'd gone to Derby away we probably would've won. I've only seen us lose once this season (Forest).

I want Lycan to be my #1 Uber fan but he keeps letting me down

No matter how hard I try I'm never quite Über enough. :shake:

I'm sure Edgemond will give me some tips though.

Bournemouth away recently was the first time I'd seen us lose since the Ipswich home game under Stale. Was gutted. Next game for me is Leeds at home, I pick them well :)

Stearman's fine and will play Friday. Trapped a nerve.

Really excited to see us in action again hopefully a good attacking performance against a stuttering Derby. The wolves fan in me is expecting Derby to end their bad run against us but there really is no reason we can't win this one.

Would go with Kenny's team above, with Stears in if pronounced fit (though would not have a fit if EEL is needed instead)

Henry rather than VLP as he is less one dimensional & gives a bit more strength on that side. There's enough pace/attack with Sako, Afobe & Dicko on.

Start well & get ahead quickly will help - Derby will be feeling the pressure to come off the current run & we know only too well that that is not easy to do.

Would love to have been there, but evening game on a work day just not possible from down here - have to be a Sky pass then

Last edited:
Yes, Henry for RVLP, please. Did he really throw a 'dickie-fit' when he was substituted last night?

Yes, Henry for RVLP, please. Did he really throw a 'dickie-fit' when he was substituted last night?
Just stropped off and walked down the tunnel. Ignored KJ as he walked by. A little bit disrepectful but nothing major.

Just got my tickets for the Derby game. BW upper. Couldn't get any tickets for the south bank, it's sold out. I hope it warms up, I'm freezing here.

Back