• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

English League Club Tier List

Maybe that one is there to see if folk are paying attention...

Struggle to think of any metric where Birmingham are a big club, Middlesbrough too is a bit strange. Albion are bigger than both, as are Leicester, Derby, Blackburn.

Blues above Albion, Sheff Utd,Leicester, Derby is comical. If each section is done in order cannot understand Ipswich being above us

It’s the my dad’s bigger than yours stuff again, said it before Leeds, West Ham size gets massively over inflated due to certain factors.
Leeds golden era coincided with the evolution of football on TV ie MOTD, The Big match making the game more visible.
West Ham simply location and a proportion of journalists being West Ham fans.

Ipswich and Blues are closer to tinpot than big - both playing in stadia that should be condemned - and Boro are decent at best. Pretty fair otherwise.

Ipswich there on the count of winning the UEFA Cup you'd think as with Forests European Cups but they don't like to mention them.

I'd have them along with ourselves Preston, Sheffield Wednesday Sunderland and Huddersfield as provincial clubs with proud histories but a tier below. Swindon, Bradford, Barnsley and Oldham have been picked solely for being in the Premier League so I'd relegate them a tier too.

Middlesbrough and Blues are fairly nothing clubs in the grand schemes of things. Weird placements for both

They've both won cups in the last 20 years, that's as deep as it goes. The whole thing is tosh

From the outside looking in it mostly feels like a coping mechanism for clubs who used to be good but aren’t anymore.

Appreciate that in reality there’s more to it than that.

From the outside looking in it mostly feels like a coping mechanism for clubs who used to be good but aren’t anymore.

Appreciate that in reality there’s more to it than that.
Not really, Sheffield Wednesday are a bigger club than Bournemouth by any metric you care to measure, apart from the one which matters. I'd have them Sunderland, Derby, Leeds etc all in the PL ahead of Fulham, Brentford, Bournemouth, Luton and so on, but it doesn't work like that, so you are left with this kind of ego boosting stuff

It’s a topic I hesitate to wade into tbh. Having not grown up there I doubt I can fully comprehend how you individually form relationships with clubs, through culture, experience, etc.

Rambling a bit, suffice to say it’s something I find very interesting!

I kind of think of it as a kind of subjective reputational inertia.

I kind of think of it as a kind of subjective reputational inertia.
Mmmm, like, what the world thinks a club is vs what the club actually is. Makes sense to me.

Will of course depend what subsection of fans you ask. If you're under 30 then you don't remember Sheff Wed in the top flight.

Anyone under 30 would question the position of Oldham. Actually anybody sane would. 5 years of being reasonably successful and now non league and not coming back any time soon.

Oldham’s badge does at least have the honour of looking most like a beer logo clipped onto the front of a hand pump.

If I was in a random town looking to try a local ale I’d definitely have a pint of that.

Swindon a tier above Bristol City will go down well on OTIB. Also Oxford will be less than amused at being rated below their deadly rivals from down the A420

Oldham being non-league is bizzare in itself, them being a tier 4 side would be them punching well below their weight. Should be comfortably be in league 1 pushing for championship.

Back