• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2016 Qualifiers - The Road to France

vicarious wolf

Reaction score
Today's matches:

Georgia v. Republic of Ireland (5pm)

Hungary v. Northern Ireland (5pm)

Germany v. Scotland (7.45pm)

-----

With a possibility of Kevin McDonald making his senior international debut, all eyes will be on Germany v. Scotland. Do Scotland realistically have a chance? How should they go about their job tonight?

As someone who's able to claim both Rep. of Ireland and Northern Ireland heritage, I'm hoping at least one of the two countries acquits itself well this evening. Much more likely to be the Republic, I'd say, who are in the same group as Scotland and Germany and will be aiming to finish in 2nd place.

The Republic of Ireland have an excellent record against Georgia, winning all five of their previous meetings (four of which were qualifiers) and trouncing them 4-0 in last year's friendly. Kevin Doyle was on the scoresheet against Oman in midweek.

As for Northern Ireland, Michael O'Neill has been making optimistic noises about qualification, but I can't see it at all. More likely they'll be vying with the Faroe Islands for bottom place in the group. I wish I could have more hope.

Your thoughts?

Germany have issues at both ends of the park, they have to deal without Mertesacker and Lahm now and Durm had an absolute shocker on Wednesday against Argentina. Up top Gomez has come back into the fold but he's such an unreliable finisher and incredibly clumsy - even had he not had injury problems last season I'm not sure he would have made the World Cup squad. Even a 75 year old Klose was a genuinely better option. However they should still have more than enough to see off Scotland. Strachan is no master tactician, he'll set up with an ultra defensive 4-5-1 and take the inevitable two or three goal defeat.

Ireland XI v Georgia: Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, Wilson, Ward; McCarthy, Whelan, Quinn, Walters, McGeady, Keane

1-0 Ireland,McGeady

Denmark look well in control of Armenia.

BBC: A neat dummy from Robbie Keane plays in James McCarthy, who in turn picks out Aiden McGeady and he slots a left-foot shot into the net from 18 yards.

I'm listening to Hungary v. Northern Ireland on Radio Ulster. 28 minutes gone and no shots on goal.

Kasper Schmeichel starting in the Danish goal and Bendtner up top.

Simon Kjær looks imperious as usual. Improved a lot since his days at Roma.

Denmark not troubled by Armenia like last time,but they're not producing much either.0-0 HT
Ofcourse with Bendtner,who would?

Gibralter play their first competitive game tonight against Poland.

Mikky Tarian scores,1-0 Armenia

Højbjerg equalize for Denmark,nice shot.

Scotland team: Marshall, Hutton, Whittaker, Martin, Hanley, Morrison, Fletcher, Mulgrew, Naismith, Bannan, Anya.

Morrison has played a whole 18 minutes of league football this season. Top selection on merit there.

Kahlenberg heads in a Bendtner cross? 2-1 :)

It's Darren Fletcher that annoys me in that team. So so so overrated.

Back