• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton 1-3 Wolves: The Verdict

That's a good article.

oh so *now* everyone likes stats... ; )

oh so *now* everyone likes stats... ; )

Long before Bill James we had Charles Reap and Charles Hughes. Their bastardisation of stats scarred a lot of people looking at football stats.

So true :icon_lol:

My course leader on my undergraduate degree absolutely loved Charles Hughes. His ‘work’ was basically our coaching modules (which was extremely concerning)

So true :icon_lol:

My course leader on my undergraduate degree absolutely loved Charles Hughes. His ‘work’ was basically our coaching modules (which was extremely concerning)

Was your course leader Sam Alladyce?

I miss the glory days of Graham Taylor's Wolves lamping the ball out from the kick off like a line out.

I got bought Charles Hughes book when I was a kid - can’t beat a POMO....

The sad part is all new recruits to English coaching courses used to get a free copy, with many drills based around the garbage content. Setting them up with bad habits.

I miss the glory days of Graham Taylor's Wolves lamping the ball out from the kick off like a line out.

Taylor loved Hughes system as did many Wolves fans judging by the amount of 'gerrit forwards' I used to hear in the stands.

The sad part is all new recruits to English coaching courses used to get a free copy, with many drills based around the garbage content. Setting them up with bad habits.

I was one of those given the books and sadly a lot of people I have been on coaching course believed it and would recant it verbatim. Anybody challenging the system and the 'Educators' delivering the courses were openly ridiculed (as I was).

Anybody challenging the system and the 'Educators' delivering the courses were openly ridiculed (as I was).

So, not all negative then...

(luvs ya really)

I was one of those given the books and sadly a lot of people I have been on coaching course believed it and would recant it verbatim. Anybody challenging the system and the 'Educators' delivering the courses were openly ridiculed (as I was).
Yeah me too at Ray Hall Lane, we used the books to place on the seat before we placed muddy boots in the car.

What about going all the way back to the GK from kickoff so he could lamp it upfield?

We used that tactic for years. The first game under Stale when we didn't do it was like some culture shock around Molineux. Then Dean went back to it (amazed he never kicked off a game with Johnson up front and O'Hara receiving the ball back)

Back