• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton 1-3 Wolves: The Verdict

I'm sure I saw a graphic on MOTD that our xG was 1.42. Even if it was 1.75 that's less than I was expecting. Surely the penalty and Jimenez's goal would put it up near that. Not to mention our other chances.

Theirs looks high too. The goal was a 1 in 20 shot and none of their other chances were clear - all shots with blocks.

We did well to block a couple of shots that dropped in our penalty area. In those situations it's going to be a higher xG, even though we did have bodies in front of the ball (arguably one of the flaws of the algorithm).

Dendoncker's was our best chance in open play. Jimenez was quite a difficult header I thought but very well executed.

Off the Grand Old Team forum

"Mate you're not all that.

You have a parasitic way of playing that will soon get found out.

Well organised yes definately.. Forward thinking , absolutely not."

I don't even know where to start ?

Another one I found while reading through the build up/match day thread (in response to a Wolves fan who had gone on there)

"You're having a good season, we're having a terrible season, yet we can go above you tomorrow. It's all about levels. We expect better and we know we can be, this is about as good as it gets for Wolves. Who wants to join you, seriously? Some Portuguese players approaching the end of their career? This summer, any good players you have will be taken away from you. Not to mention they'd have to live in the cesspit that is the Midlands.

We sell out every home and away game, I imagine this is a rarity for Wolves. It's actually shameful that you can't sell your allocation for tomorrow.

If we 'technically' can't compete with your owners, who has spent the most money out of our clubs since they bought into your club?

In regards to our mismanagement not being on the scale of yours, I'll bring back the point of levels. You're a small club, who has a small fanbase, on one of your rare appearances in the top league. We're currently in the worst period in our history, yet we average out a position of 7th in the league. There'd be an open-top bus parade if Wolves ever manage to consistently match our performance."

Great level of knowledge there...In fact in the entire post :icon_lol:

Table don't lie. Simple as.

Another one I found while reading through the build up/match day thread (in response to a Wolves fan who had gone on there)

"You're having a good season, we're having a terrible season, yet we can go above you tomorrow. It's all about levels. We expect better and we know we can be, this is about as good as it gets for Wolves. Who wants to join you, seriously? Some Portuguese players approaching the end of their career? This summer, any good players you have will be taken away from you. Not to mention they'd have to live in the cesspit that is the Midlands.

We sell out every home and away game, I imagine this is a rarity for Wolves. It's actually shameful that you can't sell your allocation for tomorrow.

If we 'technically' can't compete with your owners, who has spent the most money out of our clubs since they bought into your club?

In regards to our mismanagement not being on the scale of yours, I'll bring back the point of levels. You're a small club, who has a small fanbase, on one of your rare appearances in the top league. We're currently in the worst period in our history, yet we average out a position of 7th in the league. There'd be an open-top bus parade if Wolves ever manage to consistently match our performance."

Great level of knowledge there...In fact in the entire post :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

Moutinho I will almost give them (though still reckon that he has a good 3 or 4 years left) & If the likes of Neves, Jota, Costa, Cav & Vinagre are at the end of their careers then it's going to be a bloody short one (not going to count Patricio as for keepers it's only injury which stops them playing to the late 30's - or even longer)

They clearly don't like any other sides trying to muscle in on their 7th place - they haven't realised yet that this is just the first step we want to make!

all the bitterness and petty sniping amongst fans is so weird to me

Table don't lie. Simple as.

You'll love this one then...

"I'm over 50, actually over 60. The poor performance today was honestly built on several things
1 Team afraid to go forward, too much sideways stuff, or backwards
2 Lack of drive and determination
3 Piss poor ref
4 Slow play, slow decisions, best players on paper, performing like paper cut outs
5 Poor subs, throwing on attackers with no midfield is just silly
6 being out-played, out thought and out hassled by a largely inferior group of players
7 yet again, marking space instead of players at set pieces - call it what you want, I call it a disaster"

How many of the Everton team would we want in our squad, never mind starting XI? Two?

I'd have Lookman, but he wouldn't start. I also like Gueye, but again, wouldn't be a starter right now.

Other than that, no one. I guess you could argue that any of Mina, Zouma, and Keane would have their weaknesses minimized in a back three, but there again, none are so good that I'd break up our current trio for them.

I love when the excuse of losing is "cause our players were shit, our coaching was bad, and we played horribly"

well then you're not that good, are you?

I'd be the richest man in the world if I weren't so broke

I'd have taken Coleman and Baines years ago. Not now. Injury has ruined one and age the other.

Michael Keane is wank, he was 1/10 material yesterday.

You'll love this one then...

"I'm over 50, actually over 60. The poor performance today was honestly built on several things
1 Team afraid to go forward, too much sideways stuff, or backwards
2 Lack of drive and determination
3 Piss poor ref
4 Slow play, slow decisions, best players on paper, performing like paper cut outs
5 Poor subs, throwing on attackers with no midfield is just silly
6 being out-played, out thought and out hassled by a largely inferior group of players
7 yet again, marking space instead of players at set pieces - call it what you want, I call it a disaster"

How many of the Everton team would we want in our squad, never mind starting XI? Two?

Struggling to think of one really - Pickford was OK, but no better than we have & Gomes did alright though not a real upgrade

I’d take Gomes and Gueye in the squad. Their defence are all past it or useless. Sig wouldn’t fit our team, ethic or a system. Bernard is useful, not sure why he didn’t play yesterday. Tosun and Walcott are useless, Richarlison hit and miss.

Gueye is statistically the best DM in the league for tackles/interceptions. Him and Gomes and maybe Richarlison. That's it.

Anyone suggesting Pickford is a fucking madman. T-Rex arms is the most over-rated keeper I have seen in a VERY long time.

Richarlison is their only good player, but he’s really hit and miss. Wouldn’t take him over Jota anyway tbh.

I’d take Gomes and Gueye in the squad. Their defence are all past it or useless. Sig wouldn’t fit our team, ethic or a system. Bernard is useful, not sure why he didn’t play yesterday. Tosun and Walcott are useless, Richarlison hit and miss.

Lucas Digne is a quality player and I'd disagree about Sig, he's a very good player who has a good work rate which goes unnoticed. I agree with you on Richarlison, on his day he's top notch.

Gomes and Bernard are solid players.

I don't see the quality in Gueye, I think he's vastly overrated and pretty poor on the ball.

Lucas Digne is a quality player and I'd disagree about Sig, he's a very good player who has a good work rate which goes unnoticed. I agree with you on Richarlison, on his day he's top notch.

Gomes and Bernard are solid players.

I don't see the quality in Gueye, I think he's vastly overrated and pretty poor on the ball.

Forgot about Digne with him being suspended yesterday. Sig is definitely more a AM than anything else and we don’t really play with one, maybe he could do a job as a CM but I don’t see it.

Gueye is certainly more Saiss than Neves, but I’d rather him to Saiss in CM.

Back