• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton (H) 12/1 Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed but the idea of bringing on an extra CB is surely to make us more solid and it didn't work. In fact it had the opposite effect if anything.

At the moment we don't have any players fit that look comfortable at RCB apart from Dendoncker and we need him in midfield.
If we went to 3 at the back, and it is a big if, I think Donk is ideal as we could play Otasowie with Neves in midfield.

I don't think 3 at the back works with the personnel we have, particularly Fabio and Cutrone.

I was pointing out that judging a system based on a hastily constructed mid-second half rework, while simultaneously going ultra-defensive, is hardly a fair comparison.
Ok, we played three at the back vs Burnley and looked bloody awful :D

Agreed but the idea of bringing on an extra CB is surely to make us more solid and it didn't work. In fact it had the opposite effect if anything.

At the moment we don't have any players fit that look comfortable at RCB apart from Dendoncker and we need him in midfield.
Oh yeah I get that, personally I'd be sticking with the back four for the foreseeable anyway. Find out which players can cope best this season.

For example, I want to see a fully fit Boly have a run between Coady and RAN, because I think being the left of the two in a back four will suit him better. I think people have been a bit hasty with regards to Boly and his capabilities in a back four, although I understand some concerns.

With James back fit I imagine they'll be going with the front three that they started the season with including DCL and Richarlison alongside him.

I'd prefer a back four against that sort of setup, back three either ends up getting caught man for man or the wingbacks get pulled back to mark James and Richarlison then you've got three centre halves marking one striker and surrendered the wings to Everton's fullbacks.

For example, I want to see a fully fit Boly have a run between Coady and RAN, because I think being the left of the two in a back four will suit him better. I think people have been a bit hasty with regards to Boly and his capabilities in a back four, although I understand some concerns.

Agree with this, although it's a shame that Saiss sometimes looks our biggest goal threat after Neto!

If Donk can play up front by himself, so can Rui. Amirite @Cyber?
Not going down that rabbit hole mate! Both games this week are winnable against teams who will have very different mindsets so we need to stick to our game plan not adjust to suit theirs. Let Everton worry about us. Please can we score first!

We conceded headers against Brighton from set-pieces IIRC. The formation makes no difference to that.

Nuno more on injuries: "We still have Jonny (out), Boly out, Marcal out. We have some problems.

No mention of little Daniel, presume he just forgot about the poor lad

Edit, or don't rely on Joey fucking E&S for your "FACTS"

"Nuno on injuries (Podence, Boly and Marcal still out as well): "It's one of the most challenging periods of my time at Wolves."

Everton fan on Twitter saying 'If Richarlison is out too I'd take a point now'...how gracious of him!!

For some reason we all like to get confused by formation. 3-4-3 isn’t a defensive or “solid” formation, same as 4-2-3-1 isn’t an attacking one.

Personally I’d play 4-2-3-1 forever. It suits pretty much every player better and gets the most out them.

For some reason we all like to get confused by formation. 3-4-3 isn’t a defensive or “solid” formation, same as 4-2-3-1 isn’t an attacking one.

Personally I’d play 4-2-3-1 forever. It suits pretty much every player better and gets the most out them.
This is really true, we get bogged down by them, but as you've said before, it's the way we play that is important

What I've seen so far is that we look more fluid and threatening with more players in front of the ball. Traore has also benefited from having the extra player inside of him I think.

Last time we played Everton Ancelotti tried to match up with our 3-4-3 and they looked a mess. I'd be tempted to try and force them to do something similar again, especially if they have injuries to key players.

This is really true, we get bogged down by them, but as you've said before, it's the way we play that is important

What I've seen so far is that we look more fluid and threatening with more players in front of the ball. Traore has also benefited from having the extra player inside of him I think.
Well this is it. I think it suits our most effective players better. Traore, Neto and Neves. I also think it helps Donck as it doesn’t rely on him receiving the ball in parts of the pitch he’s uncomfortable in. Plus I don’t think Semedo is a WB. Much better with the added space an extra attacker allows him to have.

Most the goals we are conceding currently are pretty much exclusively set pieces and or individual errors, not holes in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back