• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everything you need to know about Gonçalo Guedes

footywithuti

Reaction score
Hi everyone, with Gonçalo Guedes’ arrival now imminent, I’ve just done a short video (3 minutes and 54 seconds) breaking down everything you need to know about him for those interested. I’ve explained his background, style of play, as well as how he’ll fit into Bruno Lage’ system. Make no mistake about it, the kids dynamite and exactly what the doctors ordered at the club. I’d love to hear your thoughts and am happy to answer any questions you may have in mind, cheers and have a great week ahead!

A question.

Why does he look like a half-finished user created player from Pro Evolution Soccer 5?

Or a proper couple of questions - are his performances for Portugal (generally awful) representative of what we're going to get? Used to make me rage that Ross's Dad from Friends picked him over Jota. I haven't seen much of him at club level. Can he play as a #9?

Not seen much of him last season but was impressed that he'd got 11 league goals. If most of those have come from wide or as a support striker its not a bad return at all.

A question.

Why does he look like a half-finished user created player from Pro Evolution Soccer 5?

Or a proper couple of questions - are his performances for Portugal (generally awful) representative of what we're going to get? Used to make me rage that Ross's Dad from Friends picked him over Jota. I haven't seen much of him at club level. Can he play as a #9?
The first ones a great question and something I've been wondering about myself, hope he's asked about it at his unveiling.

In regards to the second, absolutely not. Most of his appearances came during a spell of poor form and now that he's firing, Santos (or conversely, Ross's Dad from Friends, which is a far more positive description compared to some of the things he's called back home) is misusing him and every other forward at Portugal's disposal aside from CR7.

The kid can operate in every single forward position you can imagine, including as a #9.

Not seen much of him last season but was impressed that he'd got 11 league goals. If most of those have come from wide or as a support striker its not a bad return at all.
Indeed, that too for one of the worst Valencia sides in 30 years. Really good going and most were from the positions you mentioned.

The first ones a great question and something I've been wondering about myself, hope he's asked about it at his unveiling.

In regards to the second, absolutely not. Most of his appearances came during a spell of poor form and now that he's firing, Santos (or conversely, Ross's Dad from Friends, which is a far more positive description compared to some of the things he's called back home) is misusing him and every other forward at Portugal's disposal aside from CR7.

The kid can operate in every single forward position you can imagine, including as a #9.
Good man.

Fernando Santos is a complete spoofer.

Thanks for the info, don't know a great deal about him, but I believe some other forumites have some reservations.

Is a 25 year old a kid?

It's good to hear a positive review of him. From the few snippets I've seen on Twitter from Valencia fans they seem pretty gutted he's leaving too.

Like others, I'd only ever seen some very average displays from him for Portugal but over the past couple of days I've gone from being a bit 'meh' about him to now being cautiously optimistic.

Andy Brazell has just been talking him up on TS and he is pretty clued up on European football. His criticism was regarding a lack of consistency but he says if that is sorted then we have got a very good player for the price

Encouraging as his footywithuti's critique

Andy Brazell has just been talking him up on TS and he is pretty clued up on European football. His criticism was regarding a lack of consistency but he says if that is sorted then we have got a very good player for the price

Encouraging as his footywithuti's critique
He’s been very consistent if you ask me (which you probably won’t).

I'd happily send him back for ten million and play Theo. He's fucking shit.

I'd happily send him back for ten million and play Theo. He's fucking shit.
I’ve never been happy with Podence but after seeing Trincao and Guedes I’m beginning to change my mind.

Spent so much on Guedes and Hwang and yet probably like many I want to see less of them and more Chem Campbell, given the way he has looked in comparison when given the opportunity.

Guedes has looked pretty shocking so far to be fair.

I’d love to say something positive about potential but as yet I have seen nothing at all to suggest we won’t be loaning him to Villarreal for free in January.

Jorge has stitched us up like a kipper again with another Portugal bench warmer.

We'd all like to see if that were possible tbh.
Be assured it’s not. (Unless Jeff falls on his sword and explains that sacking nuno and replacing with Bruno was one of the worst decisions in the history of football).

Spent so much on Guedes and Hwang and yet probably like many I want to see less of them and more Chem Campbell, given the way he has looked in comparison when given the opportunity.
I think Campbell will drop back into obscurity with the appointment of a new manager, sadly. As for Guedes, as someone has already said, he looks like another Mendes cash cow.

Back