• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup 4th Rd: Chorley 0-1 Wolves

We were wank yes. But you need forwards who can actually hold the ball while the midfield support. They couldn't hold their mommy's tit! So the playing it sidewards and backwards is a product of the latter, as all you do passing to the front line is give it back to the opposition. Raul was brilliant at holding it while the support came forward. We miss him badly.
Don't agree with that at all. The midfield were like watching a photo.

More movement on a constipation ward.

At what point do we say it’s gone from a bad run of form to things clearly are not going to get better? Not saying I want a change but some worrying patterns are evolving.
We keep getting very slow second half starts which sets a tone for the rest of the game.
No clear sign of improvement from set peices or balls into the box.
Continually conceding first in league game and no clean sheet in 12.
Formations and personnel changed game by game.
Post match interviews are like a cut & paste job, ie “we’re working hard on our weaknesses” “we must do better in this situation”
This is clearly the hardest time Nuno has had here and the most pressure he’s been under to, I really hope he can turn us around.

Essentially a lot of pressure on Senor Jose

Don't agree with that at all. The midfield were like watching a photo.

More movement on a constipation ward.
And it's your god given right not to. But if the midfield pass to the forwards and they lose it, they have to win it back, or the defence gets a lumped ball into the box which puts them in danger. With a forward line as lightweight as tonight the midfield where better served keeping possession of the ball. Which pretty much nullified them, but made us look boring. I don't care. We won a potentially huge game which had we lost it would have been catastrophic.
Let's just jog on to the next game.

Bully had a great first touch. It's why he scored so many. Fabio or Cutrone couldn't hold a candle to him.
I know Bully's first touch was good. It was others saying it wasn't.

I’ve never understood why we don’t sign a midfield enforcer Alfred N was decent yet we discarded him
Welcome to the forum.

I presume you mean Alfred N'daiye?

If so he was anything but an enforcer but he did carry the ball forward and was a presence in the box which is more than Donk is right now.

But then big Alfie had the concentration of my 6yr old.

And it's your god given right not to. But if the midfield pass to the forwards and they lose it, they have to win it back, or the defence gets a lumped ball into the box which puts them in danger. With a forward line as lightweight as tonight the midfield where better served keeping possession of the ball. Which pretty much nullified them, but made us look boring. I don't care. We won a potentially huge game which had we lost it would have been catastrophic.
Let's just jog on to the next game.
You know we played Chorley not Atletico Madrid?

You know we played Chorley not Atletico Madrid?
Of course i do. Lose to AM then no problem. Lose to Chorley then massive problems not forgotten for 35 years. Just like the last loss to them. This game was perfect for us to lose, then armaggedon follows. We won. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't watchable. Who gives a shit.
Leeds lost to Crawley, the shit lost to Blackpool, West Ham just scraped through 1-0 against Stockport, Brighton scraped through on penalties against Newport, Burnely scraped through on penalties against MK dons. There's a pattern there. It's the FA cup. The lower the team is down the leagues the harder they try to win. This was Chorley's biggest match in their history. You think their players would be trying? Of course they would, and they did. Again, no one will remember the game, just the score. The newspaper headlines from the game will be tomorrows chip paper, not hanging up on someones wall, or in their scrapbook in 35 years time....

Bully had a great first touch. It's why he scored so many. Fabio or Cutrone couldn't hold a candle to him.
yeah Bully had a good first touch but it was different to whats required in this team, his first touch was usually followed by a shot, he rarely held it and moved it on

Different era, different players doing a different role. We expect our number 9 now to play on his own spending a fair amount of time with his back to goal. Comparisons to Bully are just silly

yeah Bully had a good first touch but it was different to whats required in this team, his first touch was usually followed by a shot, he rarely held it and moved it on
He developed his all round game as he got older. One of the great tragedies is that his fledgling partnership with Keane in 1998 got broken up when he had one injury too many. They looked superb together, Bully really did bring him into the game so well.

But regardless of how rustic he was when he started, you could never fault Bully's effort. Ever.

I can't stand players who don't try, it was the bane of my life in the 90s and 00s. Cutrone did not try tonight.

Of course, but 306 goals says he's better than Cutrone or Silva at scoring. And watching the you tube videos of them showed you that his first touch then shot ended up in the net a lot.

He developed his all round game as he got older. One of the great tragedies is that his fledgling partnership with Keane in 1998 got broken up when he had one injury too many. They looked superb together, Bully really did bring him into the game so well.

But regardless of how rustic he was when he started, you could never fault Bully's effort. Ever.

I can't stand players who don't try, it was the bane of my life in the 90s and 00s. Cutrone did not try tonight.
He wore that badge with pride, and always gave everything he had for it too. Bully IS Wolves through and through, even now. It cut him to the quick when we lost to the shit last week.

We won and we're through are the only positives from tonight's game. For me though what it did show is that we're really struggling right now and it's coming from the management for me. This wasn't against a side that were putting themselves about loads and i know the pitch wasn't great but we were tactically outplayed by a semi professional side. They were well drilled, they had set pieces worked out and executed them, they knew when to go in to the striker and got bodies around them to link and we did none of the above. We have players in positions when we have the ball that are never going to have a positive impact on the game. The forwards were poor tonight but our midfield 3 never looked like they wanted to pass it forwards anyway and they just aren't going to carry the ball with any threat.

I think everyone realises what Nuno has done for this club and i'm not going to go near Nuno out and yes he may or may not have personal issues but as someone that enjoys the tactical side of football, that has coached and played at a decent level i struggle to see what the plan in possession right now, there is no link up play or patterns that look familiar, i struggle to see what the plan out of possession is now, there's no block at all, there's no pressure anywhere. The less said about how we set up/execute set pieces at both ends the better as for the want of a better phrase piss poor. Under Nuno we've always left men unmarked at the back post from deep free kicks and finally teams have worked this out, we still haven't worked this out though and what makes it worse is we don't set up to pick up the second ball back in either so a free kick 45/50 yards from goal hit diagonally towards our back post pretty much sets up a good chance.

It's well known Moutinho is in charge of our attacking set pieces and in the first year and a half of him being here he was immense, probably the best player i've ever seen in a Wolves shirt but his level has dropped so much and with that so have our set pieces. They were never as good as when we had Barry but in the last season and a half i would say we have 1 good delivery for every 6 set pieces, it's not good enough.

As i said earlier it's not a stage of Nuno out for me but something has to change soon or it will just be inevitable. I've said lots of times recently that small margins have cost us and that at times we haven't been that bad but sometimes it feels like that's just because we have good players and their ability is masking the fact that we haven't got a clear plan or identity at the moment. Some players have stood up (Neto) some players haven't but i do think as a squad they're being held back/misused more than they should right now.

He knows he's off next week though and is protecting himself and his career. We brought him back in case we didn't sign someone, we have, we know it, he knows it. It's something of a perfect storm. It's the end though, although I think it'll be one of our 3 years (or however long he has left )of loans

Back