• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup 4th Rd: Chorley 0-1 Wolves

You could see the game plan. Keep the ball, make them run around for it, which they knew that they would do. The early goal set the tone for the match really. We have a massive problem up front when you have 2 strikers and neither can hold the ball up at all, which just gives back possesion to the other team. All they wanted to do was lump the ball in the box. They had nothing else. Apart from a couple of moments we coped well with it (Boly especially). A game like this is never easy. I'm happy that they approached it in the correct way. I can't wait to get Willian Jose in that team and give us a bit of bite up top.

Let's start with the positives as that's quicker.

Great hit, Boly defended well, Ruddy did what he had to well (though I'd expect him to make all those saves). Er, right, the rest.

Hoever - good footballer, can't cross at all at the moment. Get working on him as a CH please.
Kilman - runs like Lawrie Madden. I don't mind him but he isn't going to be up to the mark.
Coady - worst run of form under Nuno, looks vulnerable to everything.
Ait-Nouri - flattering to deceive.
Vitinha - as I say, great goal. Some nice touches early on. Then disappeared. We need more if we're going to pay £20m for him.
Dendoncker - a nothing performance. Weirdly seemed to be in the LWB zone for loads of the second half! Not doing enough.
Moutinho - passing was ok but in a Simon Osborn fashion where it's never going to hurt anyone.
Silva - for every good thing he does at the moment there are two bad ones. If you could at least try to hold the ball up occasionally that would be nice.
Cutrone - never want to see him again, an absolute Harewood of a performance. Even if you don't have a future here presumably you want to play somewhere else? But no-one is buying that. Zero movement, zero effort, looked worse technically than either Chorley forward. Fuck off.

Confidence is evidently very very low and we did get the result. But that was horrible, truly horrible.

Well-done on reaching round 5 , end of the season for The Magpies now "Null and Void tba in 2 weeks" . This cup run has kept us alive .
Good - well played tonight - that was not a pleasant experience....

As I’ve said the last 20 minutes pretty much petered out and we were able to hold them at arms length.
Not that it’s good enough the distinct lack of confidence and creativity in the side is very worrying.

Well-done on reaching round 5 , end of the season for The Magpies now "Null and Void tba in 2 weeks" . This cup run has kept us alive .
You definitely gave it a good go. The round money will certainly help you. Good luck for the future.. (y)

Chorley weren't a terrible side. They've played well in every round of the cup and beaten a couple of league sides.

We came to do a job and did it. If we didn't score that early goal we'd have pressed a lot harder for a winner second half. We kept the ball and restricted them to mostly speculative efforts. Only the glancing header was any real danger.
Tbf, it's not about Chorley, it's about us. Our passivity and paucity of imagination and risk-taking is what most people are disappointed about. Especially given the fact this was close to a full strength side.

Not to piss on Chorley's run either, but weren't Derby without their entire first team, manager and most of their u-23s due to covid?

Chorley weren't a terrible side. They've played well in every round of the cup and beaten a couple of league sides.

We came to do a job and did it. If we didn't score that early goal we'd have pressed a lot harder for a winner second half. We kept the ball and restricted them to mostly speculative efforts. Only the glancing header was any real danger.
They're a conference North side.

It's a terrible performance.

We won but we're turgid, tepid and boring. Still the same tactical problems of passing the ball around in a semi circle with no penetration.

On to Chelsea.

The number of people that are excusing a performance like that is utterly embarrassing.

"we got in, got out and won with no injuries"
"the pitch was terrible"
"we were comfortable"

Fuck off :LOL: the 14 players we used today probably cost about £150m. One hundred and fifty million pounds.

We could play the dog and duck, and if they held their shape, we'd struggle to create. It's not good enough, it's not excusable, and being OK with it (or pretending to be) doesn't make you look considered, or like some sort deep thinking sage that's above the emotions of common football folk. It basically makes you deluded. Like you're a victim of some gaslighting campaign.

We were fucking wank. We're boring as fuck.

I don't care that "it's the cup, the game of their lives, the pitch is a leveler" or any of that small time bollocks. We made them look like Burnley - an established and accomplished bottom-end Premier League side. It wasn't them playing above themselves, it was us having a complete and utter absence of bravery and creativity. Again.

interviewer: "in the second half you didn't play very well, or very fast--"
nuno: "no we didn't play, not fast, and not good. in the 2nd half we almost didn't break chorley"

really disappointing to see our head coach whinging in post-match
He's telling the truth we were wank.

We were wank yes. But you need forwards who can actually hold the ball while the midfield support. They couldn't hold their mommy's tit! So the playing it sidewards and backwards is a product of the latter, as all you do passing to the front line is give it back to the opposition. Raul was brilliant at holding it while the support came forward. We miss him badly.

I think I agree with Red. Our style of play needs a forward who can hold the ball which Silva and Cutrone just don't. Hopefully Jose makes a big difference.

Back