• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup 4th Rd: Chorley 0-1 Wolves

Avoided being part of history for all the wrong reasons but that where the positives end. The fact we didn’t concede was more due to the fact the chances fell to tier 6 players than good defending.
In that formation you need more from your WB than we did tonight.
very wasteful in midfield again and very predictable.
Reality is we just sat on it in the last 20 minutes when they created very little. I think they just tired a bit to be honest.
They played to all our weaknesses long throws corners and long diagonal free kicks.
We did the absolute bare minimum to get by, that’s fine if there’s a significant improvement on Wednesday.
Problem is I just don’t see it at the moment we’re devoid of any confidence.

You can have any strikers you like, the service was badly lacking but we were winning, we didn't need to score more although my betting slip was well over optimistic

More importantly - Robbie Savage's trousers , please can someone explain?

Chorley weren't a terrible side. They've played well in every round of the cup and beaten a couple of league sides.

We came to do a job and did it. If we didn't score that early goal we'd have pressed a lot harder for a winner second half. We kept the ball and restricted them to mostly speculative efforts. Only the glancing header was any real danger.

I agree with whoever it was that said, bar going through to the next round, there’s no positives to take from tonight.

They had 5 x shots on target - and let’s be fair - Ruddy has had to bail us out a few times - we’ve had one shot on target in 90 minutes against a conference north side. Passive passing throughout and no cohesion between any of the players. Christ, we had to bring Adama, Neves & Neto on!

Tactically, again, it’s awful. We don’t go to Chelsea full of confidence because of tonight’s result & performance. If anything, it’s potentially damaged it even further

I mentioned it in the matchday thread but I actually think Moutinho is a bigger hindrance than a positive these days.

Anyway, as plenty of posters keep saying, we’re through. Now let’s never speak of it again.
You've been advocating for us to go back to playing 5 at the back tbf!

That said I agree that was pretty damn poor and I haven't criticised this team hardly this year until today. We need both to play a higher line, and carry the ball forward much more often. Creativity zilt

Meh, who cares, didn’t think it was bad as others say but not really bothered. Next.

Chorley weren't a terrible side. They've played well in every round of the cup and beaten a couple of league sides.

We came to do a job and did it. If we didn't score that early goal we'd have pressed a lot harder for a winner second half. We kept the ball and restricted them to mostly speculative efforts. Only the glancing header was any real danger.

This is what confuses me - it isn't as if Ruddy was making diving saves every five minutes.

Chorley did very well, they were really well organised and didn't give us much room to play in. They closed the WBs down quickly and we were never going to play intricate football through the middle which didn't leave us any real options when attacking.

They had a game plan, executed it well and made chances from set pieces and a couple on the break by getting the ball forward early.

Fair play to them
Wolves are light-years ahead of a team like Chorley in every single position, them being reasonably organised and devoid of massive individual errors should not be enough to obstruct the advances of their opponents. Any player in a Wolves shirt tonight should've had the beating of their opposite number at will but I barely remember a single occasion of any of them trying to do so.

Standard Wolves performance, take no chances, let opposition do 95% of what they want with no resistance, hope that's enough to see you through.

I did wonder what would happen if Chorley had equalised whether there were gears we could have gone through or would we have wilted?

Ruddy was good, I'm not sure Rui would have been as useful in this kind of game

what about the one Ruddy tipped over the bar or the early save he had to make?

Wolves are light-years ahead of a team like Chorley in every single position, them being reasonably organised and devoid of massive individual errors should not be enough to obstruct the advances of their opponents. Any player in a Wolves shirt tonight should've had the beating of their opposite number at will but I barely remember a single occasion of any of them trying to do so.

Standard Wolves performance, take no chances, let opposition do 95% of what they want with no resistance, hope that's enough to see you through.
I give credit where I see it due. I don't disagree with you mind, I just thought Chorley did what they did really well.

A grim watch, don't care what anyone says, no way were we comfortable. No the pitch wasn't great but not that bad. I also think it will affect confidence.
Tbh I thought their passing was better than ours second half and they created the better chances......sorry they created some chances.
Pleased we won and hopefully no injuries.

interviewer: "in the second half you didn't play very well, or very fast--"
nuno: "no we didn't play, not fast, and not good. in the 2nd half we almost didn't break chorley"

really disappointing to see our head coach whinging in post-match

We did the absolute bare minimum to get by, that’s fine if there’s a significant improvement on Wednesday.
Best succinct summary really. You'd ideally want close to your best team to be showing more of a gulf in quality, it's not like we played the u-23s. But our interest in the Cup goes on, which is a good thing.

I think this reiterated to me though that, regardless of incoming transfers (and we're all excited for Jose), it's how Nuno uses the players that is key. At the moment he's getting nowhere near the best out of most of them. Hoping for him to get out of his own head and get our league form back on track.

I just hope for a massive improvement against Chelsea, or god help us. We need a ball winning creative midfielder. phone Mendes now Nuno.

How is that whinging?

he said we didn't play good. whinging.

edit --- fuck sake. THIS. WAS. A. JOKE. was told we were whinging in the other thread

Last edited:
Back