• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 4th Rnd] Wolves 1-0 Brighton: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Off you go.

Last edited:
Poor performance from an attacking perspective but limited them to basically nothing and Sa didn't have a save of note to make.

Massive chance now to head back to Wembley.

Almost, slightly, nearly disappointed the keeper didn't score at the end :ROFLMAO:

Last 8. Let's go

We love to grind one out, but hey, under Gary we seem able to do that!

Not pretty, lots of things that could/should have been better, but keeping a clean sheet through that amount of sustained pressure is excellent work in itself.

Get the lads an ice bath, I’m sure they’ll need it!

Reactions: b3h
was very disappointed with the line up but the early goal gave us something to defend. Kilman and Bueno were really good I thought. And Doyle did a good job in front of them.

Subs relieved some pressure for a bit then plenty more defending the box, which we largely did well.

It seems GON can do no wrong!

Absolutely no idea how we’ve won those last two games to nil given the performances, but can’t argue with how well we defend the box to crosses. It seems like a deliberate tactic to let the opposition lump crosses in and to trust us to clear it. Can’t say it makes for very comfortable viewing, but it’s a massive result tonight & now we have a real, genuine chance of another Wembley appearance. Some big clubs going out in the next round too!

I’d agree with the BBC’s call & give Doyle MOTM, although I thought Joao Gomes got through a lot of work. Hoping him & Lemina are nothing serious as they both went off limping.

Word for the fans, I thought they were excellent tonight. Large number who don't normally go?
Fair play, I haven’t been, can’t be arsed with cup football, had it on my pad, one eye on us, one eye on Chelsea v Leeds.
I think I dodged a bullet.

Great result - even on the web in darkest & wet Somerset!
Unfortunately my best friend is a big Coventry fan.

It's a weird one. They had a few long spells where you thought an equaliser was around the corner, but we defended really well and so it's not like they were missing sitters. Kilman and Santi were excellent, Toti too but I think because he's asked to do more with the ball he's got more chances to lose marks if that makes sense.

Brighton fans will he disappointed they couldn't make their territory and dominance count.

Midfield three all worked their absolute spuds off, all put in a great shift and showed plenty of quality too, even if they naturally lack invention.

Bellegarde and Hwang were a fucking shambles.

GON has got the result but it was definitely despite rather than because of the tinkering. Please for fucks sake don't throw a shot at Wembley away by fucking around against Coventry

Ground it out and limited them to half chances in the main. Neto and Sarabia really made a difference. Main concern is possible injuries to Lemina and Gomes. Hwang too but less concerned about losing him as he’s reverted to his early Wolves form. GO has shown he can get us organised at the back which gives you a chance in most games.

Thought Doyle and Santi were top notch tonight. Two very good performances.

Getting the obvious out of the way, clearly we didn't play very well for most of that. But it's swings and roundabouts - if I'm a Brighton fan I'm thinking "we gave them a goal thanks to a keeper who couldn't do the basics years ago, then barely forced a save out of them".

The centre halves all played well and Doyle was the pick of the midfield on the night. Bellegarde actually showed some good moments on the ball, he just isn't a forward. Immediately better when Neto and Sarabia came on for a bit of quality. Bouba's physicality helped us out late on too.

The bad - well Doherty couldn't defend and had no interest in chasing back 10 years ago so why would it be any different now. Hwang was absymal I'm afraid, back to sub-Sunday League control and not even challenging for aerial duels. Obviously not going to be a factor now for at least the next few games but based on his post-Asian Cup performances, not much of a loss either.

It's two 1-0 wins that aren't part of a sustainable way of playing, but two important 1-0 wins all the same. Sometimes you just grind it out, we know full well we can be much better than that.

Hwang was awful tonight but, to be honest, I don’t think he is (and now there is no doubt about it) 100% fit.

Not exactly the beautiful game from Wolves, but we managed to grind out the win. I don't think we're a match for a full strength Brighton, to be honest, but the players who came in for them tonight gave us a chance, and we took it. They didn't really look like scoring despite the volume of possession and the amount of pressure they tried to put us under.

Kilman and Santi Bueno both defended the box very well, Gomes and Doyle also did a good job sitting in front of them. The less said about our attacking play the better, really. And why the hell do we lose our composure on the ball so easily? So many poor touches and misplaced passes, just like the 2nd half on Sunday. But another FA Cup semi-final appearance is within our grasp, we have to take that opportunity, surely?

Poor performance, but we restricted them to no real chances.

Defended well, which could have bit us on the arse, it seemed like a plan once we got ahead.
when we bought Neto on we had a Few opportunities, to put the game to bed. I would have took a 1-0 win before.

Back