• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

That was an odd one as he delayed the flag and it did feel like he had said to the ref that might be off and was told to flag as VAR would sort it out

That was an odd one as he delayed the flag and it did feel like he had said to the ref that might be off and was told to flag as VAR would sort it out
You’ve got two options.

1) the linesman said “delaying” after the ball comes out to Nunes as he thought he was offside but it was tight. Perfectly within protocol. Then the ball goes in and Madley says “flag up for original offside”. The tech would normally solve these errors but an unfortunate set of circumstances means it didn’t.

OR

2) Madley has told the linesman to flag because he hates wolves/been paid off and then they deliberately cropped the camera to prevent any proof of corruption.

Their certainly isn’t an option 3 of “let’s just give offside for no reason and see what the cameras say.

Essentially going for an NFL style ref with mic setup. It still won't stop the fact that fans in the ground won't know what's going on during the VAR review, unless the ref is going to talk everyone through that happening.
"Officials involved in the trial would wear a microphone during games and would connect to a speaker after a VAR review to inform fans in the stadium of the decision. The conversations between the VAR operators remained private"

Doesn't sound like the ref will talk the stadium through it. It's probably an improvement but we'd still be better binning the whole thing.

So now we have to wait five minutes for them to butcher the decision, five more minutes while they fix the mic that’s not working then another two minutes while a cunt we hate explains why we fucking hate him. Over a PA system. The match going experience just gets better and better.

Yeah, I don't need to hear why they've given a shit decision in the ground. I want them to explain afterwards with the footage and a competent interviewer

This is it, if I were raging at a decision in the ground, got back home and watched it on TV and then went "ah, now I get it. You were right, fair play" then I wouldn't have an issue in the first place.

They're making bad decisions then rubberstamping them for no obvious reason, that's your problem.

If you take the Fulham 2nd penalty as an example I knew in the ground it was for a foul on Gomes, I didn't need telling that. I needed someone to justify afterwards why you judged it that way not what you've given.

The NFL comparison isn't really relevant, there's many penalties called that you don't know what they are for, particular on linemen so the additional information is needed. There's way more going on during an individual play than in football, that doesn't mean you agree with them, but is needed in a way that we don't in the PL.

I still think that if the god damned XFL can hot-mic the review process, so should the Prem be able to.

But it is unarguably a bit apples/oranges. And mostly for the benefit of TV viewers... But at least it's a live record of what's going on.

Sounds more like the women’s World Cup where referees simply state the decision as they give the signal. Not sure it adds much.

I wonder where they are going to trial that idea. Certainly won’t be in the premier league.

If a foul is so cynical as to be potentially a sin bin, PGMOL gonks in Stockley Park would be looking to upgrade it to a red anyway.

That’s the thing for me. We don’t need to be blurring the line between yellow and red any further.

I read that as we tested the appetite for the idea and everyone has said it will be shit

Human involvement = debate and inconsistency. I don't think AI has to advance much further before it could make all the VAR decisions. I'm sure it could do offsides now. The cunts will never allow it, of course.

Human involvement = debate and inconsistency. I don't think AI has to advance much further before it could make all the VAR decisions. I'm sure it could do offsides now. The cunts will never allow it, of course.
Offside should be simple rather than the complicated shite it's become. The lawmakers need to remember why it was introduced.

Back