• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

Whether or not there ever has or hasn't been a rule is irrelevant. There wasn't a rule about picking up back passes until they introduced it.

PGMOL will let Nottingham Forest hear the audio from the exchange between referee Anthony Taylor and VAR Stuart Attwell during Sunday’s controversial game at Everton – but only in private for now.

Anything to hide or do they want people top tune in to the Howard Webb farce of making up excuses to support the refereeing team/VAR team of the day.

I can accept the offside decisions being overuled by var, what I find ridiculous is objective calls by another group who might view things differently, some fouls given today are for nowt, it's a contact sport ffs.

I can accept the offside decisions being overuled by var, what I find ridiculous is objective calls by another group who might view things differently, some fouls given today are for nowt, it's a contact sport ffs.
The problem is VAR has given an expectation of perfection when so many decisions are still subjective. There's no chance the AWB handball is a penalty if the Young one isn't. High profile games a couple of hours apart with VAR on both occasions siding with the onfield decision when they couldn't both possibly have been correct. Fwiw I think they got both wrong, I'd remove it for anything like that and only use VAR for something like punching the ball in or off the line that the ref misses outside of semi automated offside. Leave incidents like the above to the ref, you'd still be frustrated if it doesn't go your way, but at least it goes back to human error as opposed to the blurred and even more frustrating clear and obvious.

Last edited:
Thread is oddly quiet about that Leeds goal...

I've only now seen the West Brom penalty against Rotherham which is nowhere near the box. Swansea also won a penalty this month v Stoke where the foul was outside the box, and a goal against in the same game was wrongly disallowed with the goalkeeper dropping the ball. It really isn't perfect down in the Champ, scarily it often gets worse down the leagues.

If tonight was what VAR was designed for then football is dead, I didn't see one player complain for a foul in the build up to the goal, until VAR stuck its fucking nose in.

Can someone explain to me why Cunha was retrospectively booked? Literally never seen this happen before?

With how VAR has been towards Wolves & across the board, I’m starting to become less interested in football & not wanting putting the effort in to go watch games.

Granted this is only the tip of the iceberg as rising costs also plays a part.

Last edited:
I know others don’t feel the same way but it is starting to have an impact on my match day experience to the extent that it would be the determining factor in a non-renewal were it not for the non-football reasons for going. Being deflated is part of the experience, but there is enough opportunity for that in the ‘natural’ course of the game already. I’m seeing too many goals go in, celebrating them while playing it back in my mind to think of reasons it could be disallowed (already bad) deciding ‘no, at least that one is fine’, then having it overturned anyway. It’s corrosive and yeah, you know, I would rather suck up the odd stinker from the on field officials than keep living through this. Maybe they can fix it so it replicates the quicker and less intrusive model they run in La Liga, but when you look at the people and institutions running our game its hard to believe that will happen.

The flag going up for the Kiliman ‘goal’ was a weird blessed relief in comparison.

I know others don’t feel the same way but it is starting to have an impact on my match day experience to the extent that it would be the determining factor in a non-renewal were it not for the non-football reasons for going. Being deflated is part of the experience, but there is enough opportunity for that in the ‘natural’ course of the game already. I’m seeing too many goals go in, celebrating them while playing it back in my mind to think of reasons it could be disallowed (already bad) deciding ‘no, at least that one is fine’, then having it overturned anyway. It’s corrosive and yeah, you know, I would rather suck up the odd stinker from the on field officials than keep living through this. Maybe they can fix it so it replicates the quicker and less intrusive model they run in La Liga, but when you look at the people and institutions running our game its hard to believe that will happen.

The flag going up for the Kiliman ‘goal’ was a weird blessed relief in comparison.
It's not even like you win some you lose some and there's a degree of balance to it. I could think of 10 plus decisions/none decisions which haven't gone our way this season and probably 2 which did, Doherty foul on Watkins and the RAN penalty against West Ham and I'm being generous with the latter. The disallowed goals against West Ham and last night, both instigated by the same bloke demonstrate that they are actively looking to wipe goals off. In neither case did anyone on the opposition complain, but on both the forensic examination found something. You then see goals like the MGW one at Forest not being disallowed and there just isn't a level of consistency. Fwiw I wouldn't want that one ruling out either, Semedo could be stronger and I'm ok with a bit of argy bargy in the penalty box on corners, but it's more of a foul and more material to the outcome of the goal than Cunha's was. I'm still in the incompetent rather than corrupt camp, but it's difficult to not be a touch paranoid.

We were sold VAR based on howlers, the Henry goal against Ireland the poster goal for its implementation. Take it back to that and semi automated offsides or get rid completely, because you, I, NSLs mates and countless others are losing interest as match going fans.

I agree with you on Kilman, after seeing how close it was he could have kept his flag down, I'm glad he didn't.

Last edited:
VAR is terrible, but it is terrible because the people put in charge of implementing it are terrible. The problem is not VAR, it is the PGMOL. They are incompetent/corrupt (delete as appropriate).

Personally, I find it hard to believe that someone who has every opportunity to watch every incident multiple times, from multiple viewpoints, without the pressure of it being in the heat of the moment, can be that incompetent, and that wrong that often. They can't be. Which leaves the likelihood that they are making these terrible decisions deliberately to influence the outcomes of games more likely.

As @Tony Towner says if we were getting some decisions go our way you could be at ease with it.
Throughout the season it’s felt like it’s there to punish us then is not used when desperately need to help us.
The corruption stuff makes no sense and not sure why anyone would pick on us.
Unconscious bias a definite possibility, would they desperately search for that offence if Man Utd are playing Bournemouth at home and score?

As @Tony Towner says if we were getting some decisions go our way you could be at ease with it.
Throughout the season it’s felt like it’s there to punish us then is not used when desperately need to help us.
The corruption stuff makes no sense and not sure why anyone would pick on us.
Unconscious bias a definite possibility, would they desperately search for that offence if Man Utd are playing Bournemouth at home and score?
I get potential unconscious bias at Old Trafford when Onana tried to knock Sasa's head off.

I don't get it at Kenilworth Road with Gomes, or at Brammell Lane with Fabio or at Craven Cottage or at Bournemouth last night.

I also don't think it's corruption.

Fuck knows what it is, but if it's bad luck it isn't evening itself out at all.

On corruption, I get that it seems illogical that we would be the victims of that. I would ask the question, name me one sport that has been made less corrupt by increased opportunities for gambling? I think you'd find a list of 0.

Also, for once I can't blame Attwell last night, he went over to the screen and was showed a picture of Cunha with his arm across Kluivert's face, there was no context, no real time replay, to him it looked like quite a bad foul. Can't blame him at all for disallowing that and booking Cunha as that's all he saw (other than in real time where he and his lino saw nothing, but that's a separate point)

The whole way the refs are shown the screen is wrong.

Their are incidents that look worse in real time than slow motion, there are incidents that look the oppositie. Particularly with handball and last night.

If they are going to make a decision on it it shouldn't be slowed down frame by frame, or shown a still that's nonsense, it offers no context either way.

Also, for once I can't blame Attwell last night, he went over to the screen and was showed a picture of Cunha with his arm across Kluivert's face, there was no context, no real time replay, to him it looked like quite a bad foul. Can't blame him at all for disallowing that and booking Cunha as that's all he saw (other than in real time where he and his lino saw nothing, but that's a separate point)

The whole way the refs are shown the screen is wrong.

Their are incidents that look worse in real time than slow motion, there are incidents that look the oppositie. Particularly with handball and last night.

If they are going to make a decision on it it shouldn't be slowed down frame by frame, or shown a still that's nonsense, it offers no context either way.
Another way in which PGMOL manipulates the decisions and ultimately the results. Its insidious.

Was there a decision recently (thankfully for once not against us) where a penalty was given for a foul via a slow motion replay but ignored the fact that the player who had been fouled had just fouled the other player beforehand?

I agree that slow motions for such instances aren't helpful.

On corruption, I get that it seems illogical that we would be the victims of that. I would ask the question, name me one sport that has been made less corrupt by increased opportunities for gambling? I think you'd find a list of 0.
I know this is an ongoing thesis of yours, but it doesn't stand up to any scrutiny PL football wise and the sophisticated way in which betting patterns are monitored. It also involves a large percentage of the PGMOL being on the take, but nobody gets any wind of it.

Back