• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

For me I'm done with VAR, I thought it would benefit the game but it's taken away far more than it's given.

We watch football to be entertained, to enjoy the moment and to have fun. VAR has ruined that.

Even if the percentage of correct decisions is 96%, I'm reminded of a phrase "the operation was a success, but the patient died".

VAR could be successful, but the clowns who have implemented it don't seem to understand what makes football enjoyable, and it isn't millimetric offside decisions that take minutes, and it isn't trying to find reasons to rule out goals.

Last edited:
I was more bothered with him calling Son ‘Sonny’. Also took me a while to realise ‘Oli’ was Michael Oliver!

If that’s how they do the lines for offsides you’re absolutely right.

That is interesting.

I note Oliver asks for the penalty replay at full speed. I'm not sure they give it him.

If Attwell only saw the Cunha incident at full speed, he surely doesn't give a foul.

Wow... I always suspected the lines were guesswork and not factual and that absolutely confirms that it is subjective based upon the opinion of those in the VAR booth deciding where to place the lines. This is not acceptable and what also is not acceptable is that we are constantly told that offside decisions are a matter of fact.

The rest of the process they employed seems reasonable though and helps us understand why these decisions sometimes take so long.

They're just moving the lines until they get the decision they want 😂
How is this not automated yet?

I was more bothered with him calling Son ‘Sonny’. Also took me a while to realise ‘Oli’ was Michael Oliver!

If that’s how they do the lines for offsides you’re absolutely right.
Did something similar for the Onana v. Kaladzjic (spelling?? 😬) incident didn't they?

Strikes me as unprofessional tbh; obviously you can't do like the NFL and say "on the defense/offense", but IIRC there's still vague regulation in place that refs don't refer to players by name when making/discussing calls. Old rule of thumb was "shirt color, shirt number" as identification.

When I was in high school it was the primary color of the home team regardless of shirt, so, if we were at home the penalty would be called "x penalty on <player number>, black" (even if we were kitted in red that night). A different school, Myer's Park, has green as their primary but would occasionally wear silver at home; call would still be "x penalty on <player number>, green". Away teams almost always wear white, which I imagine you can guess how that's called.

If they're just saying "Son", like, okay, that is his name so I guess I can't really get riled. But "Sonny" suggests a level of familiarity that I would absolutely raise an eyebrow at.

When I was in high school it was the primary color of the home team regardless of shirt, so, if we were at home the penalty would be called "x penalty on <player number>, black" (even if we were kitted in red that night). A different school, Myer's Park, has green as their primary but would occasionally wear silver at home; call would still be "x penalty on <player number>, green". Away teams almost always wear white, which I imagine you can guess how that's called.
That's the Rugby way.

Did something similar for the Onana v. Kaladzjic (spelling?? 😬) incident didn't they?

Strikes me as unprofessional tbh; obviously you can't do like the NFL and say "on the defense/offense", but IIRC there's still vague regulation in place that refs don't refer to players by name when making/discussing calls. Old rule of thumb was "shirt color, shirt number" as identification.

If they're just saying "Son", like, okay, that is his name so I guess I can't really get riled. But "Sonny" suggests a level of familiarity that I would absolutely raise an eyebrow at.
Been happening for years. There was an incident a good decade ago where the ref wanted to book Ashley Cole and he wouldn't come over. Kept pleading "Ashley" at him and getting ignored.

No, it's "blue, 3" and if he doesn't come over then he can have a pair of yellow cards.

This is interesting on a number of levels.
Too pally with the Oli stuff, like we've seen before
The lines are just complete guesswork, that should be fixed next season
The going to the screen is performative.

That just sums up how bad VAR is. Spending ages drawing lines on a ridiculously tight offside to get the decision they want and then telling the on field ref it’s a pen and a red card before he even looks at it.

I don’t want that in football. Fuck VAR.

Been happening for years. There was an incident a good decade ago where the ref wanted to book Ashley Cole and he wouldn't come over. Kept pleading "Ashley" at him and getting ignored.

No, it's "blue, 3" and if he doesn't come over then he can have a pair of yellow cards.
I've always felt that if a player can't be arsed to turn and see the yellow given, then get a second and claim ignorance of the first, more the fool them, fuck off down the tunnel.

I've always felt that if a player can't be arsed to turn and see the yellow given, then get a second and claim ignorance of the first, more the fool them, fuck off down the tunnel.
Yep bang up for this.

But remember how upset people got about Martinelli's double booking against us (that was totally justified). The big 6 fans would melt with rage.

Every now and then they clamp down on dissent (we got a couple of utter bullshit yellows at the start of the season for "kicking the ball away" when we did no such thing) and then forget about it by September. Just stick with it!

Cucurella absolutely bawling at the linesman the other night, the fucking clown. Book him FFS. Ref ignored it.

Every now and then they clamp down on dissent (we got a couple of utter bullshit yellows at the start of the season for "kicking the ball away" when we did no such thing) and then forget about it by September. Just stick with it!

Cucurella absolutely bawling at the linesman the other night, the fucking clown. Book him FFS. Ref ignored it.
And then there's Lemina and Dias getting done for being the 3rd player at the ref for a week, then nothing..

And they never clamped down on bloody Brentford, the absolute worst team to watch in decades. Ridiculous.

Don’t see the issue with calling players their names. Making everything formal doesn’t gain any respect, if anything the opposite. They are a referee not a private school headmaster

They can be both!

PRI_213130554-e1638469676603.jpg

Don’t see the issue with calling players their names. Making everything formal doesn’t gain any respect, if anything the opposite. They are a referee not a private school headmaster
If they did it for all of them then fine, they don't.

Should simply be unacceptable in my opinion. Clearly implies a familiarity which they won’t be able to extend to all players, opening the possibility or perception of favouritism. Perhaps (?!) if it was a term of reference they could use for everyone, but they can’t. The fact they haven’t taken such a simple step in cutting it out reflects the low standards in their profession.

Also, they sound like complete and utter twats when they do it. Like the cool dad in the Mary Whitehouse Experience.

Back