• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fulham 1 - 3 Wolves: Verdict thread.

Oh yeah, well remembered PLF. I had a great view of that, absolute nailed on penalty that was. The linesman by us was absolutely pathetic all game!

Oh yeah, well remembered PLF. I had a great view of that, absolute nailed on penalty that was. The linesman by us was absolutely pathetic all game!

When that ball came over the top Costa ran on and Cavaleiro stood still knowing he was off and he still gave offside! :killa:

His knowledge of the offside rules was particularly weak

Fulham is probably the quietest ground I have been to - constant noise from the Wolves end (not all of it repeatable in polite company), but very little from them - would think that that doesn't help them in home games

When that ball came over the top Costa ran on and Cavaleiro stood still knowing he was off and he still gave offside! :killa:

This is a serious question, does anyone fully understand the current offside rule ? As above, Cav was slowly sauntering back, no intention of interfering with play or going anywhere near the ball but Linesman still gave offside. I've seen goals given in that situation this season whereas others say that even if a player is not interfering with play, if they are in an offside position at the time the ball is played forward, then they are still classed as offside so the flag must go up. So much inconsistency. It must be down to interpretation by the officials ? The Linesman on the left was awful for most of the game though.

P.S. Special mention for Hause today. Credit where it's due as it's the best I have seen him play for a long time.

This is a serious question, does anyone fully understand the current offside rule ? As above, Cav was slowly sauntering back, no intention of interfering with play or going anywhere near the ball but Linesman still gave offside. I've seen goals given in that situation this season whereas others say that even if a player is not interfering with play, if they are in an offside position at the time the ball is played forward, then they are still classed as offside so the flag must go up. So much inconsistency. It must be down to interpretation by the officials ? The Linesman on the left was awful for most of the game though.

P.S. Special mention for Hause today. Credit where it's due as it's the best I have seen him play for a long time.

Its crazy, active not active active phase 2 not active.

Well as he flagged Dicko as offside when he was at least 20yrds away from the ball & clearly wasn't interfering with anything then really not sure that he understood what he was doing

Well as he flagged Dicko as offside when he was at least 20yrds away from the ball & clearly wasn't interfering with anything then really not sure that he understood what he was doing

Clearly he had a different view of the offside law when compared to the officials at WBA vs Arsenal then!

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Well there it is, the good old Offside Rule in its current guise.

Ref; The Cav / Dicko Incident.....part of the above link refers to the following :-

"Offside Offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
interfering with an opponent by:
preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
challenging an opponent for the ball or
clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or
making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"

Reading through the 'rules of the game', many of them start with, "If, in the opinion of the Referee...."

I can only assume that on this occasion, the linesman thought Cav was interfering with play, but with the above in mind I'm not sure how ?

This is the problem, some will have flagged yesterday, some wouldn't, so there is no consistency.

I would rather go back to the way things were years ago. If you are in offside position, regardless of whether or not you are interfering with play, you are Offside, and that's it. That way nothing is open to interpretation, everyone knows where they stand and every linesmen will have an easy decision to make without any of that Phase 1, Phase 2 nonsense.

The old rules were crap but far better than what we have now, there is too much scope for individuals idea of what constitutes interference or not

Current rules do allow far too much interpretation, but yesterday's issues were down to the Asst Ref on that side not having any idea what he was doing (& not just on offside's)

Kev holding hands with his central midfield partner, surprise surprise.

Fulham's pass map is noticeable for the amount in midfield - then a gap to the front player(s)

Was the difference between the sides

Looks like Marshall was asked to stay left and the rest of the attacking trio were told to target the left back.

Slightly surprised by the lack of touches for Hause given the positive reports about him. Though I'd rather the centre halves touching the balls less that the attackers!

Lack of touches for Hause was probably due to the fact that Fulham played most of their football in the middle third of the field.

He did what he needed to when it got close to our area

Think the Fulham midfield epitomises McDonalds Wolves career, great when they have time and space but as soon as they get put under any kind of pressure, they fall apart

Just a couple of points from yesterday - from where I was sitting it was clear that Hause was at times doing the organising of Coady and Bath. Secondly why was the Fulham keeper allowed to wear the kit he had on? It was a clear clash with our kit!

I saw we only completed 183 passes yesterday, which was about 63%. Normally I'd say it's not good enough but by all accounts we played well enough. I'd rather we had less possession if we do more with it when we've got the ball - get the ball quickly to the front 4 and let them do their stuff.

Back