• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fulham 1 - 3 Wolves: Verdict thread.

Costa looks to getting better and better. Love the strength and battle he's showing to compliment his undoubted skill in possession.

Finally, I understand DW's blog title.

Just a brilliant week, but I am genuinely unable to understand why we are so inconsistent. Is it really all down to the rub of the green, as PL seems to think? Is this league that much of a lottery?

Do Fulham still post the full game highlights on their website?

Just a brilliant week, but I am genuinely unable to understand why we are so inconsistent. Is it really all down to the rub of the green, as PL seems to think? Is this league that much of a lottery?

We mostly play better against good teams as we are forced to play on the break which suits the players we have, problem is we aren't good at bossing games and creating chances against crap teams who put 9 men behind the ball

It was a bit of a bobbler too. Batth can take some blame but it was not his worst moment or error of the season. Could ikeme have done better? It came a long way. Someone who was there let me know?

He didn't have much of a chance. Scorer should have been closed down. I doubt he'll hit one that well for the rest of the season

No not for me. For three years we have been a counter attacking side. When we fall behind at home we are generally fucked as teams can then sit back. We are also poor at scoring through strikers so those poacher type goals, the scrappy bits and pieces goals are more scarce for us especially at home. Away from home suits our limited skills much more as roles Costa and Cav both playing. For some reason when both play they give a creative attacking lift.

No not for me. For three years we have been a counter attacking side. When we fall behind at home we are generally fucked as teams can then sit back. We are also poor at scoring through strikers so those poacher type goals, the scrappy bits and pieces goals are more scarce for us especially at home. Away from home suits our limited skills much more as roles Costa and Cav both playing. For some reason when both play they give a creative attacking lift.

Nah, we're definitely poor at home because of the pressures of the home crown - sky mentioned it many times against the blues...

We are a counterattacking team but we don't help ourselves by picking defensive and hardworking teams at home instead of being more adventurous.

Nah, we're definitely poor at home because of the pressures of the home crown - sky mentioned it many times against the blues...

We are a counterattacking team but we don't help ourselves by picking defensive and hardworking teams at home instead of being more adventurous.

Fair point. Perhaps going out to attack at home would help.

The Wolves home crowd is a myth. We are no more impatient than any other club who gets more than 15k in the ground.

The Wolves home crowd is a myth. We are no more impatient than any other club who gets more than 15k in the ground.

Agree totally, been to most home games this season and the fans have been generally behind the team.
Plus even if the home crowd are restless good players deal with the pressure.
The home crowd thing is a myth drummed up by certain sections of local media.

Not so much about attacking but more about having the ability to break down teams. We had a decent spell before Ivan's injury in terms of creating. He got injured and our tactics went - Plan A - Give it to Helda. Plan B - Lump it and hope Dave is near by.
Wigan being the worst for this, so much of the ball and next to no idea on how to break them down.

Having Ivan back is huge and Marshall getting into it is another plus. Hopefully whilst we have this 4 fit, we should see something more positive at home.

Agree totally, been to most home games this season and the fans have been generally behind the team.
Plus even if the home crowd are restless good players deal with the pressure.
The home crowd thing is a myth drummed up by certain sections of local media.

It was Sky pushing this myth - so national and local media!

It is a myth, in fact I think the fans have been excellent given the lack of positivity to shout about in home games for the past two seasons.

It's just something that comes with being Wolves. So many players and managers have said "keep them quiet and the crowd will turn on them" over the last 25 years.

So that's the go to reason for poor home form with the Media,

Just back to the hotel.

We were thoroughly excellent. Kept Fulham at arms length by and large. Aluko was a handful and the one time he spun Batth, Hause stepped in. Hause was great at the back he barely got a sniff around him. The one chance he did get he shot tamely at Ikeme.

Fulham played it round well and you could see them probing trying to pull us out of shape but we were very well disciplined and Marshall Costa and Cav all mucked in defensively. Weimann was a good outlet and without having much in the way of chances had a good first half and kept his minders occupied. Marshall broke up plenty of play, was very composed on the ball and looked to get us moving.

Costa had been reasonably quiet when he got the assist for the first, likewise Cav before scoring it, but once they'd got the goal and the second so early in the second there was some excellent one/two touch football and interplay. Not all of it came off but you could see what was been attempted and with this 3/4 we stand a chance against anyone.

After the Fulham goal I thought there would be an onslaught but it didn't really materialise, few times they got balls in and one particular cross Ikeme claimed and another Hause blocked from 8 yards but we got the third and they ran out of steam and it gradually petered out as they got more desperate.

I have to say I'm worried about Nouha, he got the flick on to Costa for the third but aside from this he was very quiet. We got him away down the wing on two occasions first time he was eased off the ball by his centre half, it was almost sad to see that he was bullied because the Nouha of old was as strong as an Ox. Second time we launched a counter and with the ball ahead of him rather than break into the space he slowed play right down nad then picked the wrong pass and played it straight back to Fulham. It just wasn't the Nouha I know.

Despite all the positives Batth still shanked one, Doherty was caught short on the odd occasion and Ikemes distribution is still painful, so absolutely delighted with the win but it mustn't cover the cracks.

Ikeme - Couple of dodgy kicks. Claimed a couple of crosses at 2 and 3-1 and one save in the first half. 6

Doherty - One wayward clearance in the first half. Caught sauntering back on one occasion but Costa/Marshall cleared it up between them. 6
Hause -Very commanding display, as someone who can't go often it's a night and day difference from the last time I saw him. 8
Batth - Kicked it and headed it. A couple of times he'd hoof it but a few head downs and trying to play football too. Would like to see more of that and less of the shanked clearance that inadvertently led to the Fulham goal. 7
Coady - Diligent. Not much more to say. 6

Costa - what can you say about this guy? Phenomenal. Deserved a goal for his work rate and two assists. Tired quite understandably. 9 MOTM
Evans - linked play well, decent shot in the first half but wide. 7
Marshall - worked his knackers off and was visibly fucked after an hour. I like him though. 7
Edwards - a great ball in the lead up to the second and in the deeper role it allowed him to get into the box for the third. Outside of this a typical Edwards performance of effort and willing. 7
Cav - Reasonably quiet before the goal but was excellent in the second till his withdrawal. Lots of neat interplay, knackered when he went off. 8

Weimann - a fucking workhorse. Ran and ran in the first half, well taken goal. Moved out wide again after Dicko introduced and got quieter. Work was done though. 8

Subs:

Dicko - See above. 4
Saville - Came on for Costa and thought it was the wrong choice but he broke up a couple of Fulham attacks no made one vital interception. 5
Saiss - I expect he was thrown on to shore up the defence in preparation for a Fulham onslaught at 2-1 but we made it 3-1 instead so he didn't have a great amount to do. 5

It wouldn't be a verdict thread without one myth or another... ;)

Cheers for the verdicts Youngy and Lincs.

It is a myth, in fact I think the fans have been excellent given the lack of positivity to shout about in home games for the past two seasons.

Most patient fans I have known in 40 years given the shit served up at times

What a win. Fantastic result. 10 points out of 12 has shot us up the table away from the dreaded relegation zone.

We are not safe yet but in a much better place than 2 weeks ago.

Solid away performance. We weren't particularly brilliant but for most part defensively we were sound and if we stay in any game a front four like that will cause the opposition issues. On the break Cavaleiro provided us with a great threat through the middle - something we have lacked for some time. It's nice to have someone who runs at players centrally rather than just in wide areas. In possession, he linked well with his team mates which brought Costa and Weimann in particular to life, when they have been quite isolated at times. The whole front four was quite fluid which was also refreshing. We look two full backs and a centre midfielder short of an actual decent top half side I would say.

The change at half time for Fulham swung things further in our way as they lacked protection between defence and midfield (Johansen and Cairney the two in the second half) as they tried to chase the game but this allowed us to get on the front foot and play more in their half. Poor move by Jokanovic.

Ikeme - 7 - made two good stops that I can remember. Tried to look to play short a few times when he could convince someone to take it off of him. Couple of wayward kicks.

Coady - 6 - fairly steady but for someone who came through Liverpool's academy and played in England's youth set up, his technique isn't half awful. The space between and behind him and Batth was our weak link I felt today.

Batth - 6 - again solid but usual bog standard Batth performance. I've not seen Fulham goal again but he did seem at fault - which would make it two games running. Would hope after international break Williamson will step back in .

Hause - 8 - superb. Can't think of many times he put a foot wrong. I'm a big fan and when we get better players around him I can only see him getting stronger. Decent pass down the line for Cavaleiro goal.

Doherty - 7 - Maybe because he had Hause supporting him (and Marshall holding his hand for much of the first half) but rarely troubled I felt. Didn't offer anything attacking wise but not sure either full back were really under instruction to get too far forward.

Evans - 5 and 7 - 5 for first half 7 for second. Not neccsarily their fault but our centre midfield were fairly anonymous in the first half I thought. Quite passing and this allowed Fulham to dominate most of the possession. Second half some excellent tackles to disrupt Fulham and good passing as Evans has shown he can really do well.

Edwards - 5 and 7 - same for Edwards. I'm pretty sure he completed two passes in the entire first half, which is pretty abysmal. And he contributed little out of possession, so it really hindered us. By the 47th minute he had completed more passes than in the 45 previous and played a role in our second goal. Won the ball far more often and linked well with those in front of him. Made a huge difference. Was a good move to shift him forward when Cavaleiro went off as could tell we needed some legs on the break to support Dicko. I called him scoring at the point!

Costa - 8 - Made two goals and involved in the other heavily. Far too much quality against a young (and talented) Sessegnon. Great strength to make the first goal. People keep saying he looks disinterested but I think he is just jaded. You can see he looks a bit heavier. The Championship is extremely demanding physically and for players like him something has to give eventually. Will be a well earned rest by the end of the season for him.

Caveleiro - 8 - Danger man for us. He's absolutely brilliant technically and the role he had today allowed him to pick up some great positions. He's strong as well and was fairly disciplined out of possession which surprised me. Keep him their Paul, he could be vital next season. Worth every penny of the £7m we paid for him.

Marshall - 7 - Very good footballer, though not as quick as the other two of course. I think he is still not at full fitness (so a full pre-season with us will see him a lot stronger) but you can tell what he has to offer. Defensively he is also good and gives us a good balance overall. Good signing.

Weimann - 8 - Probably my man of the match. Covered four positions today within the game and was good in all of them. Though he kept, frustratingly, getting caught offside he does offer good movement and as he isn't an out and out forward it allows him to swap roles easier with others. As I mentioned, the front four were very fluid and that was in large part down to him. Great finish for the goal

Subs

Dicko - 6 - did OK but was quite sluggish I thought. Another player who needs a full pre-season, and some more competition. SOme good touches and held the ball up fairly well.

Saiss - 6 - good move by Lambert to put him in when he did. Absolutely killed the game, and shifting Edwards forward got us the needed third goal.

Saville - n/a - barely touched it out on the left

Lots of positive, but equally a long way to go before we get too excited. We need two decent full backs desperately, and a centre midfielder unless Lambert starts to trust Saiss more.

Home, fed & watched the Championship show on 5.

Would go with most of YW's scores though would take 1 off Doherty for not closing down for their goal & being out of position on a number of occasions & needing to be bailed out.

Disappointed with Fulham - lots of pretty passing triangles that really didn't go anywhere.

Not mentioned elsewhere but a real possibility of a penalty for us in the second half - Edwards nicked the ball off a defender with only the keeper to beat when the defender shoved a leg across him (& didn't get the ball) - I was only 11 rows back & a head on view of it - for me it was nailed on. TBF the Ref was behind the action & possibly couldn't see it, but the Asst had to have done, though he was giving weird decisions for the whole of the second half

Some ex players don't help either with this excuse comparing the crowd now to when they played which I certainly think has changed especially over the last few years.

Back