• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fulham 1 - 3 Wolves: Verdict thread.

Just a couple of points from yesterday - from where I was sitting it was clear that Hause was at times doing the organising of Coady and Bath. Secondly why was the Fulham keeper allowed to wear the kit he had on? It was a clear clash with our kit!

I must admit when I saw the highlights I was surprised that the Fulhsm goalkeeper was allowed to wear that kit. The referee should have made him change it.

I saw we only completed 183 passes yesterday, which was about 63%. Normally I'd say it's not good enough but by all accounts we played well enough. I'd rather we had less possession if we do more with it when we've got the ball - get the ball quickly to the front 4 and let them do their stuff.

I think there has been something of a resurgence in counter attacking football instead of possession based football (not just at Wolves but football in general). It's probably more important to be accurate with possession instead of passing it about at the back for possession stats.

Having said that, I prefer a possession based football style!

I must admit when I saw the highlights I was surprised that the Fulhsm goalkeeper was allowed to wear that kit. The referee should have made him change it.
He should have made us change out of that horrific effort and wear gold. I understand the commercial reasons why it happens but I hate to see sides change kits when there isn't a clash.

He should have made us change out of that horrific effort and wear gold. I understand the commercial reasons why it happens but I hate to see sides change kits when there isn't a clash.

Absolutely. Like you I prefer to see teams in their traditional kit, but as Wolves had already said they would be wearing their change kit, then the goalkeeper should have been required to change his kit.

I get bored to death watching tippy tappy football. Typified by Arsenal yesterday (and in goodness knows how many more of their games). They made 750 passes to Albion's 219.

Fulham had 70% possession but we had five shots on target to their four shots.

Our goals came about as a result of 3 - 4 passes each time, (and of course the wonderful Mr Costa), but we didn't over complicate our attacking moves. But I suppose it's easier to do that as a counter attacking away team ?

Far more exciting to have balls played down the flanks and a cross coming into the box from the byline. Still causes far more havoc than a pass marathon.

I think there has been something of a resurgence in counter attacking football instead of possession based football (not just at Wolves but football in general). It's probably more important to be accurate with possession instead of passing it about at the back for possession stats.

Having said that, I prefer a possession based football style!

I think you're starting to see a lot of stats based football and one of the underpinning factors (wrongly imo) is the theory that 3 passes and speed of attack will have you create a goal scoring opportunity more often than not.

Of course this cannot apply to all teams at all times and I would argue the best long term plans cannot be based on this system. Graham Taylor was the first English manager in my lifetime I remember doing this with success but his team's were always short term, same as Mourinho and Ancelotti.

Managers such as Gaurdiola, Bielsa and Poccettino build clubs not just winning systems and to me that is why possession based football is a better system to try and achieve.

Looks like Marshall was asked to stay left and the rest of the attacking trio were told to target the left back.

Slightly surprised by the lack of touches for Hause given the positive reports about him. Though I'd rather the centre halves touching the balls less that the attackers!

Hause's pass down the line to Costa for the first goal was pretty good.

Hause's pass down the line to Costa for the first goal was pretty good.

Yes it was excellent. I guess my point was that stats/passmaps etc are just part of the story of the game. Given how well Hause is reported to have played I just thought it was interesting that the size of his dot showed a small amount of touches.

Yes it was excellent. I guess my point was that stats/passmaps etc are just part of the story of the game. Given how well Hause is reported to have played I just thought it was interesting that the size of his dot showed a small amount of touches.

He made a few tackles, but mostly he was closing down their front players. He also nicked one off someone's toe on the edge of the six yard box, when it looked like they would score.

Was unable to listen to the commentary yesterday as was driving home from Ledbury so had to make do with the Villa game so reading the reports of the guys that went and the highlights clips it is all very encouraging and yesterday, for he first time, I had real confidence that we will (hopefully) stay up.

Fair play to Lambert, he deserved criticism for the horrific February but similarly, deserves credit for 4 good results and in the main, performances. It is evident that we have missed Cav greatly and I would love Fosun to ensure that Cav and Costa are still here next season and build a quality side around them. The January signings of Marshall and Weimann are really playing a part too.

I woke up so happy this morning thinking of yesterday's results, last Sunday I was very down despite the win because of the narrow margins and performance against Rotherham which offered little hope but credit due for 2 fine away performances against Brentford and Fulham.

10 points from 12 is an excellent return, we all need to unite now and ensure that we finish as strongly as possible, put any thoughts of relegation behind us and hopefully move further up the table.

Well done Lambert and the lads

Some thoughts from Dangerous I thought worth sharing.

“My job on Tuesday was to play as a number 10, I’m a completely different player in there than Cavaleiro, or Joe Mason, or Ben Marshall - my job on Tuesday was to stop Ryan Woods from playing, and that’s what I did.

“So to drop back a bit deeper, I prefer that roll - me and ‘Evo’ (Lee Evans) knew if we were solid, disciplined and just won the ball back - we were never going to have 50, 60, 70 passes - but if we could win it back and get it to the front four as quickly as possible, we knew we were going to hurt them.

Can only play counter attack if the other team wants the ball and wants to actually attack themselves (i.e they aren't a pile of dogshit)

Leicester fucked it by not adapting. Still trying to be the underdog who counters with pace. They got fun' out!

Just had a quick look on Fulham's website to see if they still put up the full 90 minutes' worth of action for every game. They do, but it's behind a paywall now, which is fair enough I suppose. Seems to be available for home and away games looking back at their last few fixtures.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/fulhamfctv

£2.99 a month or £14.99 upfront for six months. Would people be willing to pay that for a Wolves version next season when (like Fulham) we control all our own web content and aren't tied to the shitty template Football League deal? I think I'd go for it. I assume the basic highlights would still be up for free on YouTube, we just rip them straight from what the Football League send to Sky most of the time anyway, don't even add any commentary over the top.

Would be great if they included live streaming of the Academy games too.

I would definitely. You can get full match highlights of Premier League games nowadays on websites, but I think the demand would be there. Me personally, if I was able to have full match highlights I had the idea of doing a Wolves analysis blog of each game, as I think people might quite like to read something like that. And is something that I enjoyed doing on an assignment I just did (of the Bayern-Arsenal game :icon_lol:)

Just had a quick look on Fulham's website to see if they still put up the full 90 minutes' worth of action for every game. They do, but it's behind a paywall now, which is fair enough I suppose. Seems to be available for home and away games looking back at their last few fixtures.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/fulhamfctv

£2.99 a month or £14.99 upfront for six months. Would people be willing to pay that for a Wolves version next season when (like Fulham) we control all our own web content and aren't tied to the shitty template Football League deal? I think I'd go for it. I assume the basic highlights would still be up for free on YouTube, we just rip them straight from what the Football League send to Sky most of the time anyway, don't even add any commentary over the top.

Would be great if they included live streaming of the Academy games too.

I'd pay £14.99 if it meant I could watch every game.

Something like that would be perfect for a fan like me, who lives away from the area and can only get to a limited number of games per season.

I suppose from a Wolves perspective, would it drive people away from the ground if they know they can watch the full 90 minutes for a much smaller cost in the comfort of their own home?

It's all post-match though, we're not talking about live streaming the games (not allowed to do that under our archaic broadcasting laws anyway). So I think the risk of that would be minimal, "I won't go this week, if we win I'll watch the whole game tomorrow morning when I already know the result, if we lose I won't bother".

I'd pay £14.99 if it meant I could watch every game.

Something like that would be perfect for a fan like me, who lives away from the area and can only get to a limited number of games per season.

I suppose from a Wolves perspective, would it drive people away from the ground if they know they can watch the full 90 minutes for a much smaller cost in the comfort of their own home?

I am in the same position, and would gladly pay it.

If the team were successful then I don't think it would have a detrimental affect on attendances.

I'd gladly pay £100 if I'm perfectly honest. I'll just pretend it's 3pm ha.

I would definitely. You can get full match highlights of Premier League games nowadays on websites, but I think the demand would be there. Me personally, if I was able to have full match highlights I had the idea of doing a Wolves analysis blog of each game, as I think people might quite like to read something like that. And is something that I enjoyed doing on an assignment I just did (of the Bayern-Arsenal game :icon_lol:)

A video blog like this...

:spaz: :icon_lol:

Okay, going to scrap that idea now then.... that is horrific!!

Back