• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I'm sorry. A "snood"?

What. What the fuck. I've never been more upset about a British word before.

Not one I've ever heard, although it is a big country.

Beanies or toboggans for that kind of hat over here.

I get the beanie hat, but what sort of weather warrants wearing a sledge on your head?

( I know this is a laugh at the American, because he gets confused about English words having other meanings to what he thinks, but hey, if you're setting the joke up, it's rude not to carry on)

Not one I've ever heard, although it is a big country.

Beanies or toboggans for that kind of hat over here.
A snood is a kind of scarf... Its a tube of wooly material that you slip over your head and wear round your neck

I get the beanie hat, but what sort of weather warrants wearing a sledge on your head?

( I know this is a laugh at the American, because he gets confused about English words having other meanings to what he thinks, but hey, if you're setting the joke up, it's rude not to carry on)
I know what I'm signing up for when I make comments like that. ;)

Based on what Darlo has described, I think we would call that a "gaiter". Or just a neck warmer, honestly. No idea what the etymology of gaiter is and doubt most Americans have one, either.

Gaiters are what hikers wear over their boots, to stop pebbles and similar from getting in their boots

Gaiters are what hikers wear over their boots, to stop pebbles and similar from getting in their boots
Same tube-cloth concept, though, isn't it?

Gaiters commonly used in many mechanical devices, cars for example.

Back