• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Consistent with the general rebalancing of the Mendes relationship over the last 2 years

£12m on agents fees between Feb 21 and Jan 22.

In that time we've signed players for just over £26m and loaned Trincao/Hwang
That’s the kind of deal Matt Hancock would give the landlord of his local boozer.

They probably get a cut of contract renewals too and we've had a few there. But still, not good.

I just don't get that dichotomy in football. You hire an agent to do your bidding as a player, well fine. When he's done his job then you fucking pay him out of your pocket, he's effectively your employee. Where does the club come into it?

Also as I've said before I have no idea why the likes of Haaland/Mbappé/Foden etc etc even have agents, what are they selling beyond what you do yourself? You don't need anyone to big you up.

They probably get a cut of contract renewals too and we've had a few there. But still, not good.

I just don't get that dichotomy in football. You hire an agent to do your bidding as a player, well fine. When he's done his job then you fucking pay him out of your pocket, he's effectively your employee. Where does the club come into it?

Also as I've said before I have no idea why the likes of Haaland/Mbappé/Foden etc etc even have agents, what are they selling beyond what you do yourself? You don't need anyone to big you up.
Paul Scholes never had an agent. He knew what others were paid and said he didn’t need an agent to come to an agreement with SAF.

Agents work for clubs too.

No doubt we paid mendes some kind of bonus when our players extended their contracts

Agents are basically the lawyers now I think and the contracts are massive over trivial things that aren’t important until the 1 in a million chance it actually happens.

Still doesn’t explain how they are taking 1/3 out of a transaction though. Estate agents are ripping you off taking the 2% or whatever it is so agents fee should be at that level and certainly no more than 5%.

Club secretary is still usually the lawyer. Most are either company secretaries with law degrees, accountants, or solicitors.

Yes but the agent is making sure the player gets paid x every time he wears his Nike boots on Sky tv, Or that there are meals available at the training ground at no charge, and he gets a parking space near the front door or something equally as silly.

I doubt the club secretary is producing the contract. Just Simply dotting ‘I’ and crossing ‘t’. Sending it off to FIFA etc.

They write them and then it is negotiated between player, agent, agent's lawyers and then the player as well of course. That's how it works.

But the point in making is the club secretary is the “secretary”. They aren’t doing anything in the actual deal negotiation wise.

Ultimately you'd want this to be regulated and clearer fees but then football has turned itself into an industry where that is never going to happen, Mendes has acquired the power where he gets fees from buying and selling teams on many deals, that is where I would look as the first thing to regulate.

But the point in making is the club secretary is the “secretary”. They aren’t doing anything in the actual deal negotiation wise.
That assumes that the club secretary just gives the player everything the agent asks for. If there is negotiation it will be the club secretary doing it on behalf of the club.

Last edited:
Wolves are doing an open training session on the 20th of April, £5 a ticket on sale now to members.

Paul Scholes never had an agent. He knew what others were paid and said he didn’t need an agent to come to an agreement with SAF.
Agents probably come into
It more with things off the pitch. Adverts. Sponsorship etc and other revenue streams for the player. Scholes strikes me as someone who just cares about playing and being at United at that time wasn’t really going to go anywhere.

It is absurd how much agents get paid Ofcourse. Utter madness. But if people keep paying it, they will continue to demand

I have a feeling it used to be free if you were a season ticket holder or member.

Back