• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

We don't have time. We're extremely likely to have 1 win from 8 games as we enter October.

Are the tweaks knocking all attacking instinct, skills and goal scoring out of anyone in range of the first team? Is that what these skilful players adapting to?

Not too surprising considering we have very technically sound midfielders and two centre backs who are comfortable on the ball.

We’re actually not far off being half decent. Our defence have done well and (although there’s definitely an argument to be made that we should have conceded more) we’ve the best goals conceded column in the PL this season.

If we can somehow stumble across a way to score more goals, we’ll be alright.

Disclaimer: appreciate the level of opposition has to be taken in to account and we’ve only really played Spurs from the top 6.

That was a huge weakness for us last season. Something the likes of Palace and Brentford (at home) took us apart on. We just couldn't cope with a semi decent press

Not too surprising considering we have very technically sound midfielders and two centre backs who are comfortable on the ball.

We’re actually not far off being half decent. Our defence have done well and (although there’s definitely an argument to be made that we should have conceded more) we’ve the best goals conceded column in the PL this season.

Disclaimer: appreciate the level of opposition has to be taken in to account and we’ve only really played Spurs from the top 6.
I think Lage is a very good possession and defensive coach.

His problem is attacking and he can't see it. He really needs another voice as an attacking coach.

He really needs another voice as an attacking coach.
"Unfortunately you can’t teach people the instinct of being in the right place.

“You can show them where to run and you can practice your finishing and your technique.

"It is belief and confidence.

“You see a cross come in and you are perfect, exactly where you’ve timed your run and every time you follow up the goalkeeper spills it. You connect with volleys and difficult half-volleys.

‘‘It is belief. When you are scoring you expect the ball to come to you. And when you aren’t you hope. That’s the yard of difference – ‘if only I’d set off earlier’.

“I’m expecting them all to do it no matter who the coach is.’’

B7UISMTM5VAZDKNWGFUSOCQKXM.jpg

"Unfortunately you can’t teach people the instinct of being in the right place.

“You can show them where to run and you can practice your finishing and your technique.

"It is belief and confidence.

“You see a cross come in and you are perfect, exactly where you’ve timed your run and every time you follow up the goalkeeper spills it. You connect with volleys and difficult half-volleys.

‘‘It is belief. When you are scoring you expect the ball to come to you. And when you aren’t you hope. That’s the yard of difference – ‘if only I’d set off earlier’.

“I’m expecting them all to do it no matter who the coach is.’’

B7UISMTM5VAZDKNWGFUSOCQKXM.jpg
Is he saying a striker should always gamble?...

Surprised they top the list but I think it needs more context to be a useful stat. If you're always going backwards in the face pressure then the press has still done it's job to some extent, breaking through the press is the real target but more difficult metric to measure.

We were really good at beating the press first half at spurs. Played through them with ease. Led to nothing the other end though really

You could read that table as we're too slow moving the ball so we let opposition players get close enough to press too often and have to evade. 150 more than the next club.

#halfempty

It's still so difficult to see Saunders and not want to throw up, I almost never swear anymore as tried to eliminate it from my speech, but when he appears it's like my Glaswegian nans spirit suddenly takes over my vocabulary.

Wolves: Spending big to stay the same

You know things have taken an odd turn when you're appealing to sign Diego Costa.

Wolves have long been one of England's most fearless and active zipper clubs, constantly going up and down from one level of the pyramid to another. But they've put together a remarkable run since returning to the Premier League in 2018. They finished seventh in both 2018-19 and 2019-20 and reached the Europa League quarterfinals in 2020 before slipping a hair to 13th and 10th in the last two seasons.

When former Benfica manager Bruno Lage took over Nuno Espirito Santo last season, he took Wolves' two most identifiable characteristics -- stingy defense and minimal attack -- and exaggerated them. Wolves allowed just 43 goals (fewest outside of the league's top four finishers) but scored just 38 (fewest among teams not relegated). They neither allowed nor created anything easy.

Through six matches this season, they're on pace to allow just 25 goals ... and score 19. They play in a defiantly analytics-unfriendly way, attempting plenty of shots (eighth in shots per possession) but attempting almost no high-value shots. They rank 19th in xG per shot, and only 3% of their shot attempts have been worth 0.3 xG or more (20th). Their defensive stats are good again, but while both Wolves and opponents have unsustainably strong save percentages at the moment, opponents are attempting more high-value chances. That will probably make regression to the mean a bit harsher on Wolverhampton; with just one win in six matches, any regression could come with harsh repercussions.

In vacuum, this makes sense -- a zipper club finding something effective, then watching it slowly lose effectiveness over time. But when you lay down the seventh-highest transfer expenditures in the league, and you make big-money deals like paying Sporting Lisbon nearly $50 million to sign midfielder Matheus Nunes and spending $36 million to bring in Valencia winger Goncalo Guedes, you expect to improve.

Guedes draws contact well, and Nunes pressures the ball and forces the issue in the dribbling department, but neither creates high-quality shots. Adama Traore, back from Barcelona loan, doesn't either. The only two players who have averaged at least 0.45 xG+xA per 90 minutes for the team this year -- not a particularly ambitious average, by the way -- are either hurt (new addition Sasa Kalajdzic) or gone (new Nottingham Forest member Morgan Gibbs-White).

Wolves need finishing, and when they finally landed Stuttgart's Kalajdzic late in the transfer window, he almost immediately tore his ACL. They tried to sneak veteran Diego Costa in, and he was initially denied a work permit before Wolves successfully appealed. He scored four goals in 15 matches last season for Brazil's Atletico Mineiro and hasn't scored double-digit goals since he was with Chelsea six seasons ago. But he's now the new hope.

While the scoring averages, for and against, should increase simply because of how unsustainably low they are at the moment, there's no immediate reason to think that Wolves will land in the top half of the league again.

Quite like the phrase "zipper club". But otherwise depressingly accurate.

I was the opposite, felt the article was accurate but we've never been a zipper club. 5 years between relegation and promotion in 2009, 6 years before 2018.

Semantics though I suppose, the overall thrust of the article was very much spot on.

Wolves have long been one of England's most fearless and active zipper clubs, constantly going up and down from one level of the pyramid to another.

I mean, is this true?

We didn't move division at all between August 1989 and May 2003. Nor August 2004 and May 2009. 20 years there and we had two changes of division. We've been a Premier League club for five straight years.

We don't score many and are uninteresting to watch from a neutral point of view as our manager is rubbish.

Back