• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Although I’d hate to see him go if someone offers 60 mil in the summer for Neto we should snatch their hand off, his injury record ain’t good.

Nobody's touching Neto now, but then that also means we haven't got to replace him.

At the end of the day it's not as if we need to sell a player to keep our heads above water. Fair enough if a big club comes in for someone we won't say no, but we aren't in a 'sell to survive' situation.

Bit of money for Silva, sell Hwang and then buy a striker. If he wants to transition to 4atb then sell Kilman and do it that way. We did the donkey work in the summer and we've made it work from a squad point of view so we're not under any pressure to sell, and we don't need a squad overhaul to survive. It's not especially interesting or exciting, but that's where we are and where Fosun wants us

With his injury record we probably do

Not given our ambition though. He'll do enough in his 2-3 spells of fitness a season to keep us up, be injured often enough to not demand a massive contract, and be talented enough that there'll always potentially be a big fee for him if he goes a full season on the pitch.

I still think we will sell Neto.
Jorge probably has 3 or 4 contracts on the table for him.

It will be down to how flexible we are on terms. Logic on some transfer deals goes out the window.

Neto is such a tremendous player and we’re unlikely to find anyone who plays at his level. However, I agree, I think he goes this summer, and it’s best for him and, perhaps, for us so that he’s not here on sufferance. Hopefully this isn’t misread as me wanting him gone or somehow laying the groundwork to pretend I’m happy about it in hindsight.

Gonzalez, Lemina, Chiquinho.

We already have young players we should be developing to step up at right wing.
No evidence at all to suggest any of them are viable options. One earlier in the season couldn't make our bench ahead of kids and underwhelmed playing for the u21s. Another is a bench player for a run of the mill Portuguese side and was bombed out by Stoke in the same transfer window for having a shit attitude. The third was a favour to his brother and as it stands isn't our player. No way any of them should be Plan A

No evidence at all to suggest any of them are viable options. One earlier in the season couldn't make our bench ahead of kids and underwhelmed playing for the u21s. Another is a bench player for a run of the mill Portuguese side and was bombed out by Stoke in the same transfer window for having a shit attitude. The third was a favour to his brother and as it stands isn't our player. No way any of them should be Plan A
Then what the hell did we buy them for?

We have a small squad with very little bench options and a limited budget, so let's spend money on players for our youth teams or loan prospects.

Why anything.

Why spend £9m+ on Hoever when we're already buying a RB who will obviously be first choice.
Why spend £35m on someone with 1 goal in senior football.
Why loan Adama out for £0 and no obligation.
Why spend £27m on Guedes who didn't want to come and is wank.
Why re-sign Matt Doherty at all, let alone hand him a 3 year deal when he's nearly 32.
Why loan out 2 strikers and sign 0 when we're already slim on numbers.

Agreed with Hoever. We all know why Silva. Adama was a weird one but I assume we were trying to generate some interest.

The rest are all bought for the first team. Whether they are good or bad that's what we should be spending money on even if they don't work out.

I understand gambles on young players but don't buy them if they're miles off even playing for us.

Then what the hell did we buy them for?

We have a small squad with very little bench options and a limited budget, so let's spend money on players for our youth teams or loan prospects.
They are relatively low level punts, one around £5m, another £3m, the other we haven't yet signed. If they come off great, if not then little lost really. They aren't players we should be building around at the moment. Chiquinho's injury has impacted his progression, which obviously we couldn't plan for

Not that the idiots running the club would but if we should be doing succession planning for our very best players then I think the replacements ought to be here already, either signed in the summer or January before

Where we are these days means even if we could we aren't getting players at the same level so it buys the club time to review how the player is performing, it gives the player the opportunity to get used to Premier League football, acclimatise to the UK and Wolves way of doing things.

I mean, if you were properly mental you could play the succession player in a midtable clash with little riding on it and rest your best player for a cup quarter final the following weekend, and they'd get plenty of minutes as you manage the minutes of your better players.

As it is, you're only ever a player failing to settle, or failing to deliver from going on a January supermarket dash.

Of course there are exceptions here, but if we've made our bed that we're a selling club we should be anticipating when each player (of value) will likely move on and plan for that well before they do.

I appreciate he doesn't have much choice, but using 2022/3 to illustrate Wolves is meaningless given 2023/4

Back