• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I can see why it deserves scrutiny though. The article seems to suggest we're sailing fairly close to the wind on those rules.

I can see why it deserves scrutiny though. The article seems to suggest we're sailing fairly close to the wind on those rules.

Totally agree. We are taking the piss a bit.

But as I said, we've been very clever, it's not actually Fosun who have a share in Gestifute, its a subsidiary- Shanghai Foyo or something. So as it's not directly owned by Fosun, thats one area where we are compliant. The other is the fact that most of our players signed through Mendes were not directly represented by him, for example Neves was represented by Jorge Pires Serralheiro.

Fair play to Wolves board, they have looked into the rules and how they could make it work with the Mendes connection without breaking them, and as much it might seem like we are bending the rules, we are compliant with them so unless the FA change something, we are clean.

I don't see anything wrong here as we've adhered to the rules.

I guess the Media won't cover the fact that whoever joins us in getting promoted will also be under scrutiny by the PL, as they do it to every team that comes up to make sure they meet the standards they have set for ownership etc

Given the letter of the law as stated in that article, the Gestifute stake does seem like an unnecessary risk for Fosun to have taken. It sounds as though they've been disingenuous, to say the least. I hope those loopholes do actually exist. I don't even see why we need them. I didn't get the impression that they gave us any sort of unfair advantage against other clubs when we were making signings. The main reasons the Portuguese came here were a) Nuno and b) career prospects. Obviously they were pointed in our direction by JM, but it's horses for courses, surely. He's got plenty of other clients that have gone elsewhere and Fosun can afford to buy more or less who they like. We still have a scouting network, don't we?

Clearly, though, this needs sorting out. Do we know the timetable for PL approval?

I don't see anything wrong here as we've adhered to the rules.
Yes we have, but if we hadn't been smart about it, we would have been in trouble due to Fosun having a stake in Gestifute. This part alone would breach the rules but we have sidestepped it by having "independent" agents representing Mendes clients.

So you can see why a lot of people are questioning it but we haven't done anything wrong. We've just stretched the rules a bit...

I think we get round it by Fosun not having a stake in Gestifute. The chairman and founder of Fosun part owns Foyo and Foyo own a stake in Gestifute as far as I can tell but both are separate entities. As Fosun is a public company I presume the Chairman has to adhere to company rules and board voting so has no actual money to funnel from Foyo to Fosun (or the other way round).

For example, if Barclays owned Wolves but John McFarlane (the chair) owned another company which has bought a stake in an agency then Barclays aren't going to be beholden to the Chair's money as it is a public company. Therefore the Chair has zero influence on the way Barclays runs its business without backing from the board and shareholders.

I think we get round it by Fosun not having a stake in Gestifute. The chairman and founder of Fosun part owns Foyo and Foyo own a stake in Gestifute as far as I can tell but both are separate entities. As Fosun is a public company I presume the Chairman has to adhere to company rules and board voting so has no actual money to funnel from Foyo to Fosun (or the other way round).

For example, if Barclays owned Wolves but John McFarlane (the chair) owned another company which has bought a stake in an agency then Barclays aren't going to be beholden to the Chair's money as it is a public company. Therefore the Chair has zero influence on the way Barclays runs its business without backing from the board and shareholders.

Yes, I actually meant to go back and edit my post to add this but yeah, this is exactly it.

If it really is an issue woth the PL, then Fosun just get the company to sell its shares in Gestifute. For savvy businesses there's plenty of other ways of investing in Mendes I'm sure.

Given the letter of the law as stated in that article, the Gestifute stake does seem like an unnecessary risk for Fosun to have taken. It sounds as though they've been disingenuous, to say the least. I hope those loopholes do actually exist. I don't even see why we need them. I didn't get the impression that they gave us any sort of unfair advantage against other clubs when we were making signings. The main reasons the Portuguese came here were a) Nuno and b) career prospects. Obviously they were pointed in our direction by JM, but it's horses for courses, surely. He's got plenty of other clients that have gone elsewhere and Fosun can afford to buy more or less who they like. We still have a scouting network, don't we?

Clearly, though, this needs sorting out. Do we know the timetable for PL approval?

Lol.

Even if they had to sell the Gestifute stake, the relationship between Mendes and the club, and particularly Mendes and Nuno remains, so not sure much will change in terms of recruitment.

Yeah, I know, but I mean did we sign anyone that other clubs in the EFL or PL were trying to sign at the time, and could have afforded to sign at the time, but they came (unfairly, rather than through choice) to us instead?

PFA Team Of The Year:

----------------- Ruddy ------------

Fredericks - Bamba - Boly - Sessegnon

------- Cairney - Neves - Maddison

---------- Reid - Vydra - Clarke

Jota should be in over Clarke. Cav ahead of Cairney too.

PFA Team Of The Year:

Yep, especially as there is clearly no loan rule here.

Leon Clarke ahead of Jota...that's just funny!

Another team where they've cheated and put Sessegnon at LB, he doesn't play there.

Otamemdi is in the Prem one. Lolz.

Yeah, I know, but I mean did we sign anyone that other clubs in the EFL or PL were trying to sign at the time, and could have afforded to sign at the time, but they came (unfairly, rather than through choice) to us instead?

Who's to say? Some players certainly made some big steps down at what look like remarkably good value, seems likely that there would've been better offers on the table than a bottom half second tier side but perhaps those players weren't as available to the wider market as they were to the new Gestifute/Fosun project?

PFA Team Of The Year:

I wonder if it's permanent deals only and that's what prevents Jota from being in?

Amazed Doherty and Douglas have missed out.

Back