• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Poor old Andy. It’s been a long time since that ‘couldn’t hit a barn door’ argument has been brought up!

In our xG chat, are there any other (regularly used) wolves strikers who were as inefficient or dare I say, even less efficient than Keogh? Not to knock his effort though - I’ll always be a big fan!
Jigsaw Mason was an even worse finisher. Terrible signing.

I'm not actually sure what GON can do anyway?

I mean, he can improve thought process, technical ability to a degree. He and his team can play out scenarios on the training pitch over & over again - but ultimately it's only the player himself that can keep a cool head and score the opportunity once they walk on the pitch on a matchday.

I've lost count of the number of training videos I've seen where we're smacking goals in all over the pitch. Then come a matchday, they look like they've never seen a net before.

GON can send out a team with tactical information and a game-plan that will result in chance creation (and we've seen it happen in both games so far, both against tough opposition, hence the much improved xG). It's not his fault that Cunha, Neto, RAN, Nunes etc etc etc completely lose it whenever they have an opportunity to score.

The irony in Guedes' one goal for us being a legitimately good finish is thick enough to choke on.

He scored two tbf. Got handed a goal in the cup against Liverpool

The PTS article was better than the stupid headline. It was mostly quotes from GON though.

Talked how he was preparing his next tactical system in the weeks after he got sacked, always wants to play aggressive football. It's at least an insight into what the coach wants.

Alan is right about how to best use xG as a way to help contextualise the game. People didn't get this worked up when possession stats came into existence did they?

Stats are stats, goalscoring is instinct,
You either got it or you aint.
1 extra touch is lack of confidence, a bully bladder every time is confidence.

I'm sure it's naive of me, but is there really any value in shooting drills like that? The first one was a one-two around nobody and then rolling it into a small goal, and the second was basically "take a touch, doesn't matter how bad because you've got all the time in the world to set yourself and then twat it at a shit goalkeeper". Like surely it'd be of more value to everybody to have Kilman tracking the run or somebody coming out to block the shot? A free shot from 18 yards doesn't really teach you anything, surely?

I'm sure it's naive of me, but is there really any value in shooting drills like that? The first one was a one-two around nobody and then rolling it into a small goal, and the second was basically "take a touch, doesn't matter how bad because you've got all the time in the world to set yourself and then twat it at a shit goalkeeper". Like surely it'd be of more value to everybody to have Kilman tracking the run or somebody coming out to block the shot? A free shot from 18 yards doesn't really teach you anything, surely?
Just be a piss about for the players won't it.

Also, good enough for the manager of Mol Mix FC, good enough for Wolves

I'm with you Del. Should also be done on the pitch at Molineux with 6000 volunteer North Bankers ready to shout ohh and put their hands on their heads when he misses.

All about repetition really and striking of the ball and angles. Sometimes it’s just better to do it without pressure to enable them to keep doing it. When they play their 5 a sides, 11v11 on a shortened pitch it will be about taking those repetitions into a game setting.

Fabio’s issue on Saturday was the time he had, look at the finish when he was offside and the ones in the video it’s touch and bang and he seems much better with that finish at the moment.

Back