• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I can see the pragmatic argument with the it's too early or the squad is too small comments, the issue I take with them is if we don't want to make Europe then what's the point? After 6 years and guaranteeing a 7th, just being in the PL isn't an achievement even though Jeff and co tried hard to make it one. I don't want to be Crystal Palace finishing 12th to 16th every season, even if that is preferable to relegation and probably the height of Fosuns ambition
Understandably so.

It's not like we need absolutely masses of additions.

We need a back up keeper and another option at RWB as the current squad options are awful and you would never want to pick them.

If Mosquera is up to the task then we have enough CHs. If not then one more.

Big if given his drift over the last six months but LWB is ok if Hugo can be an alternative to RAN.

We have enough CMs.

It's the attacking areas where we're light, need at least two more there.

So you're bulking it up by 4 or 5 extra players, shouldn't be beyond us.

Losing the assists of Neto would be huge too, could see them gambling on Chiquinho.

It's not like we need absolutely masses of additions.

We need a back up keeper and another option at RWB as the current squad options are awful and you would never want to pick them.

If Mosquera is up to the task then we have enough CHs. If not then one more.

Big if given his drift over the last six months but LWB is ok if Hugo can be an alternative to RAN.

We have enough CMs.

It's the attacking areas where we're light, need at least two more there.

So you're bulking it up by 4 or 5 extra players, shouldn't be beyond us.
Plus, we're less likely to plug those gaps if we DONT have Europe

Yeah 4 or 5 would be enough. They need to be of a suitable standard, age wise and fitness wise at the correct price and be prepared to sit on the bench and wait their turn.
Not impossible but not that straightforward either.
Someone like Santi who can become first choice whilst Dawson's workload is managed over the next year or two. He looks like he could be in that category. Doyle another.

Losing the assists of Neto would be huge too, could see them gambling on Chiquinho.

I know I've said it before on here but that would be a mistake IMO. He'd need to be a stand out player in Portugal at this age to interest me and he's just not.

There is a certain % of luck there obviously but it's unfair to say it's just that. Also a lot of hard work and clearly a very good medical/fitness department.
I think it's very likely that every team in the PL has a good medical/fitness department, are you claiming that ours is that much better than every other team in the division? I find that hard to believe. It maybe a small factor, but everyone will be monitoring the intensity levels and all that sports science stuff. Everyone.

We have been fortunate, how many games have our CM players missed through injury between them? Less than 5. Our central defenders? Dawson might be the only one who has had an injury I think. Hugo B and RAN have had injuries and have missed an few games between them. Our big ones have been up front with Neto missing maybe 10 games, Cunha will miss 6ish, and Hwang who seems to get injured tying his laces so has missed a handful here and there.

Compare that to Newcastle who have missed Pope for 2 thirds of the season, Harvey Barnes and Willock for 2 thirds of the season, Wilson for half or more, Isak has missed a few games, Joelinton is going to end up missing half the season almost... Is that down to the intensity in their style of play? Probably. Is it because their medical/fitness staff are rubbish compared to ours? I very much doubt that.

There are obviously a number of factors at play, but we have clearly been somewhat fortunate that we have had a mostly healthy squad for much of the season. That graph shows it.

We've been here before, under Nuno, when half the fans and, I think, the actual club, thought they had this magic formula or conditioning and prehab that the rest of the footballing world couldn't achieve.

We've been lucky. Not factoring in that that luck will change is a failure

The Gaffa is on 5-live in a couple of minutes if anyone wants to listen 👍

I swear someone in our medical department during previous managers was nicely nicknamed "Dr Death". I assume we've moved on from him/that group.

So

20/21 - £18.4m profit
21/22 - £46.1m loss
22/23 - £67.2m loss

Total - £94.9m loss

Those figures don’t include the Neves money and there will have been allowable losses for FFP/PSR. So we were comfortably clear in the last period but need to make at worst £8.3m profit this year (likely much less with allowances) and now we’ve sold a ton of players and have a tiny squad so wages will come down too. Add in finishing higher and a cup run greater than they would have budgeted for and we can safely predict we are absolutely clear, although will probably need someone like Penk/Craig to re do the amortisation to give a more accurate guess.

One for the accountants, but that seems In line with the expectations. Player sales being MGW, Donck and Vinagre. His alarming comment is hyperbole given the spend we made in both windows in that period and therefore to be expected. What is alarming is the on pitch value we got from the Summer one £115m or thereabouts on Nunes, Guedes, Sasa, Collins and Hwang. Thankfully a couple are gone for a profit so will come off the books next time, 2 for different reasons will be a financial drag until their contracts are up and one we've given a new contract to when he was in a purple patch

Last edited:
These are not the figures used for PSR. That explicitly includes some money, which isn’t included for PSR, to paint bollards.

Matchday revenue is not great too, it was pretty stark how many tickets went unsold midweek despite it being impossible to get tickets.

One for the accountants, but that seems In line with the expectations. Player sales being MGW, Donck and Vinagre. Doesn't include Neves or Cunha. His alarming comment is hyperbole given the spend we made in both windows in that period and therefore to be expected. What is alarming is the on pitch value we got from the Summer one £115m or thereabouts on Nunes, Guedes, Sasa, Collins and Hwang. Thankfully a couple are gone for a profit so will come off the books next time, 2 for different reasons will be a financial drag until their contracts are up and one we've given a new contract to when he was in a purple patch
To get the figure to £211m surely we have to have signed Cunha? Transfermarkt has us at €177m without him?

Back