• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Gigs - First/Worst, Best/Last, Missed/P#ssed

Worst - Its going to be one of the ones I went to because I am a nice Husband....Hard choice between Michael Buble and Take That...will go for Take That as I really do not like the stuff they did when the first appeared on the scene and those tunes were half the concert.

I must have got my dates wrong, I did go to alot of shows the end of last year, as I was at the Underworld gig at Wembley too.
Amazing show! Border Country blew me into another dimension!

I was always at the Civic in the 90s, there were always good bands playing. Megadeth, Pantera, The Almighty, Slayer, Machine Head, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, The Wildhearts, you don’t get that level of band playing there any more. If I remember rightly it only used to be around £8 for a ticket as well in those days.
Not for the first time, I'm seeing people posting about gigs I know I was at too.

First - Terrorvision at the Civic in 1994. An amazing first gig. Came home exhausted and drenched in sweat but loved every second of it.

Missed - Soul Asylum at the Civic. It would have been my first gig but my parents wouldn't let me go :( It was the Grave Dancers Union tour and it would have been ace.
I was at those terrorvision gigs. I also went to that Soul Asylum one, and they were really good! Also played Keep On Up which was amazing.

Aye, 90s Civic was great.

Tell you where else I miss, the Varsity. Upstairs in there was great for a wee gig with a local band. They might get nowhere in the end (in fact pretty sure none of them did) but always had a good time. Shame the service went to shite and the uni hoovered it up for no reason.
Only ever did 1 gig at the Varsity - the Dharmas. They were ace!

I remember the terrovision gig as at the time a girl who we went to school with dad was their manager, or four manager cant remember which.

That clip of the trip has reminded me I really need to watch all of it, only caught bits of it

Add Cast to the shit list. Around 96 I think.

John Power was just being a prick. Playing loads of shite album tracks and B-sides, told a heckler "at least I can write songs". Disappointing. Never trust a Mickey is the lesson here.

Add Cast to the shit list. Around 96 I think.

John Power was just being a prick. Playing loads of shite album tracks and B-sides, told a heckler "at least I can write songs". Disappointing. Never trust a Mickey is the lesson here.
Also day 2 of Knebworth

First - Sum41 - Can't remember if it was the Civic or Wulfrun Hall now. Pop-punky goodness, 2002.

Last - Kaiser Chiefs and Razorlight at the Capital FM Arena. January 2020

Worse: Razorlight and the Kaiser Chiefs.. it was a gift for Mrs Lincs I had low expectations anyway but the crowd were horrific. The bands aren't my thing but were good at what they do but they barely got golf applause between songs. I've never seen a more static disengaged audience. By the end I felt sorry for them it must be like a comedian telling a joke and been met with silence.

For a band I'd be interested in seeing I'd go with Marilyn Manson at Download '07. He was out of his mind on Christ knows what and barely coherent. Add to the fact his stuff isn't suited to open air I was glad he wasn't the entry fee.

Best: Metallica Download 2006 - Master of Puppets played in its entirety. My first time seeing them.

Missed - Had tickets for the Foo Fighters at Wembley in 2015 but Grohl broke his leg and it was cancelled.

Pissed - Sonishpere '10 I spent the whole week battered. Have huge gaps.

How about people you've not seen before or had low expectations for who completely blew your mind?

Razorlight were shit at the Civic, a rearranged gig due to illness, the lead singer could not be more half arsed if he tried.

I actually got an ebanks Blake chant going as the bloke who sat next me in the SB at the time was there and Johnny Borrel just hung out a painfully long 'nah'

I absolutely despise Johnny Borrell, he's human Coronavirus. A total wanker.

How about people you've not seen before or had low expectations for who completely blew your mind?

Glasvegas. I wouldn't have chosen to see them and only went as it was a mate who I hadn't seen in ages and he had a spare. I didn't mind them before but they were a bit "whatever" for me. They were excellent.

I had Foos tickets for Murrayfield on the Dave breaks his leg tour. Gutted about that.

Lots of positivity about Machine Head live. I can only agree. Superb. Saw them at Donington with the original line-up although Chris Kontos might have just left. Played most of Burn My Eyes and gave a live debut to ten ton hammer as I recall.

Pantera at Brixton Academy was mayhem. Properly violent.

Then there are the bands I have never seen give a bad gig. Maiden, Metallica, Kreator are always superb.

And then Bloodstock a couple of years I FINALLY saw Megadeth on a night where Dave was right on it and not completely pissed off about something. 4 times I had been less than blown away by them live and then I got to see them when they absolutely nailed it. Superlative.

I was at those terrorvision gigs. I also went to that Soul Asylum one, and they were really good! Also played Keep It Up which was amazing.

That song is stuck in my head now. Tune.

I may have missed out on the gig but some friends I knew that did go bought me a t shirt as they felt sorry for me. It was a quality t shirt too. Shame I don't have it any more.

GDU is on my albums to revisit pile.

I bought a tshirt outside the gig for a fiver. long sleeve. still wear it now, though it is fucked.

Opeth
Rammstein

Opeth is a great shout. They're a lot like Dream Theater but with vastly better vocals. I love Rammstein so knew what to expect first time I saw them but they still left me blown away.

My underrated was Disturbed. Draiman is so much more than a metal vocalist, was only when I saw them live I realised how incredible he/they are.

On the 'missed' point.....hope I get to see the Foo's before they get too old and passed it

Not been to many really but here you go.

First: Bullet for my Valentine

Last: Ed Sheeran (took my mom for her birthday...)

Best: Fightstar <3 and Blink 182

Worst: None really

Pissed: All but Ed Sheeran!

Missed: Squeeze with my Dad first time

P.S Are all Wolves fans greebos? :icon_lol:

Going to add a few more. There was a great little venue called The Pitz in Milton Keynes where I saw loads of gigs in the last couple of years in the 1980s. I think it held about 500 or so and the stage diving was crazy. Saw Exodus, Kreator, Nuclear Assault, Dark Angel, Onslaught, Napalm Death and a few others I can't remember.

Plus Overkill at the Astoria. My one and only PA dive. We sat on top of some amp cabs by the side of the stage between bands and Overkill came on early and before we could get down so I thought it was a good idea to jump off. Caught on camera I believe, and it fucking hurt!

I am deffo jealous of a few of the gigs posted here.

ACDC back in the day for example, bet that was amazing.

EDIT: Craid David not so much haha.

Back