• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Gigs - First/Worst, Best/Last, Missed/P#ssed

Never liked Marilyn Manson (Beautiful People is a great song though), took me ages to realise it was him in Sons of Anarchy. His acting was far better than his music.

Was a great line up the year we went, will have to try and dig out a poster or something from somewhere later, but would've been better if there was a bigger group of us than just the three. It's not as enclosed as my experience of UK festivals, the campsites are completely separate to the area where all the stages are and the music is later in the day so there's a bit of freedom to do your own thing for half the day. We found it a bit of a pain getting back to the campsite at the end of the day though, fair old walk down unlit country lanes because the locals turn up about a week before it starts and fill up the closest campsites. Would probably be better off trying to book a hotel on a nearby town if you organised it early enough and then just get a bus or taxi in each afternoon.

Took my Dad to see Mazza at Leeds fest one year! His words "the music was shite but the stage show was amazing!"

First gig was Green Day on the Nimrod Tour
Last gig was Frank Turner supported by Jimmy Eat World

Best gig is too hard to say but some highlights: Rocket From the Crypt (mosh pit massages and catching a can of cafrees from the band). Plastic bottle war for a Terrorvision gig, seeing the Eels perform a post gig encore to about 20 people when the venue had emptied and the lights were on are a few!

Most drunk: The Gossip at Glastonbury maybe. Festival strength brothers cider saw the gig, several of us went back to the tent afterwards (about 18.00) and I woke up around midnight to hear Pete Doherty strangling some songs near me.

First, Howard Jones, ended up seeing him 5 times over the years :)

Worst- Barry Manilow. Only went because my sister made a deal with me, if I go to see Manilow, she would come with me to see Wet Wet Wet. :)

Missed - Morrissey. Finally got hubby to agree to go with me, he bought tickets, then a couple of weeks before, Morrissey tour was cancelled. Much to a relieved husband. :(

Best - The Eagles in Pittsburgh, what a fantastic night. :)

Pissed - Siouxsie and the Banshees. What can I say, it was a dark time for me :(

Kate Bush was pretty damn amazing a few years ago. Most expensive tickets I have ever bought but worth every penny for how happy it made Squeeze.

Second, and best, was the Manics at the Civic in (I think) 94. Was one of Richie’s last gigs. Blew my mind.

First was U2 Zooropa tour at Wembley. Was good, but the best part was the Disposable Heroes of Hiphopcrisy.

Second, and best, was the Manics at the Civic in (I think) 94. Was one of Richie’s last gigs. Blew my mind.

So jealous of this. I would have loved to have seem them as a four piece, especially on the Holy Bible tour.

First time I saw them was the Everything Must Go tour at the Civic. It was an amazing gig though to be fair. I should have probably added it to my best gigs list.

So jealous of this. I would have loved to have seem them as a four piece, especially on the Holy Bible tour.

First time I saw them was the Everything Must Go tour at the Civic. It was an amazing gig though to be fair. I should have probably added it to my best gigs list.

It was a little bit wasted on me at the time, I didn’t realise quite how special it was. Looking back on it and no subsequent gig has come close.

I never fancied the flobbing that went on with the Manics.

A lad at school was mad on them and Richie in particular. I never really liked him so was always a bit dismissive of them because of that, even now, funny how things work.

Their early fans were weird.

I don't really have a preference between them as a three or four piece, Richey's lyrics were sometimes excellent and sometimes a bit sixth form common room.

They were way way better as a three piece,just wonder if richey was holding them back,and they didn't have the balls to sack a mate.
Controversial opinion,putting the tin hat on for all the incoming flak

They released both good and bad stuff as a three piece and a four piece.

Everything Must Go and Send Away The Tigers are two of their best albums (IMO) but This Is My Truth... is a turgid snorefest. I love The Holy Bible musically and lyrically but the first two albums are a bit hit and miss.

I wouldn't agree that Richey was necessarily holding them back, I just think James found it easier to write to Nicky's lyrics and perhaps he had a bit more musical freedom once they were a 3 piece.

For what it is worth, I think James Dean Bradfield is underrated by a lot of people. For me, he is one of the most gifted British musicians of the last 30 years.

James' solo album from 2006 is bloody brilliant. Well worth a listen, still holds up.

He sang with The Beautiful South on a "Later" special, did Old Red Eyes and it was brilliant

The Manics were always a three piece. Richie used to stand there with a guitar but they didn't plug it in as he couldn't play for toffee.

Didn't James/maniacs write some kind of bliss for kylie? Can't be arsed to google it

Back