• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Gigs - First/Worst, Best/Last, Missed/P#ssed

Definitely the former. I was buzzing for Rammstein and they were utterly unbelievable.

Thought of another - Sabbath with Ozzy at the NEC on the 13 tour. I never dreamed I would see him on the same stage as Tony and Geezer. Epic.

Ach, I haven't seen Saint Etienne live. Now that needs to be fixed once this shit is over.

Aye, 90s Civic was great.

Tell you where else I miss, the Varsity. Upstairs in there was great for a wee gig with a local band. They might get nowhere in the end (in fact pretty sure none of them did) but always had a good time. Shame the service went to shite and the uni hoovered it up for no reason.

The Varsity had a lovely plaque of the bands who'd come through there on the toilet circuit before making it, the likes of Muse, Stereophonics, Radiohead had all played there. Crying shame it went. Saw Dave McPherson (of InMe) do an unplugged set there. I used to love the old Little Civic too.

Saint Etienne - He's On The Phone was one of my earliest musical memories. Heard it on Now 33(!) 1996ish.

There may or may not be a disproportionate number of Saint Etienne tracks on the TWF Lockdown playlist :D

The Varsity had a lovely plaque of the bands who'd come through there on the toilet circuit before making it, the likes of Muse, Stereophonics, Radiohead had all played there. Crying shame it went. Saw Dave McPherson (of InMe) do an unplugged set there. I used to love the old Little Civic too.

We supported bands like Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Radiator and a few others who 'made it' at the Varsity. There were a couple who became more well known than those but I'm fucked if I can remember who they were. One caused a right stink as we took fucking loads and packed the room out and once we'd finished everyone fucked off.

I saw Mansion at The Varsity. Bloody great gig it was too.

First : Shed Seven at the Civic

Worst : Richard Ashcroft droning on in the pissing rain at V

Best : Toss up between Turin Breaks accoustic set and Radiohead absolutely smashing it one year at V

Last : Trampled by Turtles upstairs in the custard factory

Missed : LTJ Bukem was playing the Hare & Hounds but I missed out due to lurgy

Edit. Missed out pissed : Travis of all people at the Civic, got absolutely wankered on shots and ended up falling all over the place

Last edited:
I saw catatonia at the varsity,can't remember whether they were on the way up,or down stardom wise, also saw spacehog there,only went because of their massive hit in the mean time,as did everyone else in the crowd

First - T'Pau.

Game, set and match, me thinks.

That moment where potential ultimate coolness died...

Marilyn Manson at the Varsity had it ever happened would have been insane levels of gig rep. Mansun somewhat less so.

Not for the first time, I'm seeing people posting about gigs I know I was at too.

A lot of them were around the time of Cadillacs. Were you there the night The Almighty were supposed to playing the Civic but they cancelled at short notice as Ricky Warwick had a bad throat? Me and Andy Crane (no, not that one) were working that night and Stumpy and Floyd came in, it was a Wednesday I think and the place was dead. They had a few beers (on us of course) and asked why we weren't going to the gig. Told them we couldn't get out of work so they put our name on the guest list for the re-arranged date which wasn't long after. It was on the tour promoting whatever album Wrench was on, around '94. Class couple of nights.

That moment where potential ultimate coolness died...

Marilyn Manson at the Varsity had it ever happened would have been insane levels of gig rep. Mansun somewhat less so.
He was a massive let down when I saw him at Rock AM Ring, spent more time dicking around putting coats on and off than he did performing, then got pissy with the lack of atmosphere and made some shitty joke at the crowd that did not go down well.

Back