• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Good people of Britain...........PANIC

Good luck everyone. At least we have a/c over here. I'm sure you have heard this a million times, but 2 bits of advice.
1 drink LOTS of water.
2 then drink more water.

33 degrees at midday, luckily a cooling gentle breeze making things feel… quite pleasant. Wouldn’t want to be on a tube train or sat out in the sun but have certainly felt stickier with lower temperatures in the past.

Predicted to go up a couple of degrees yet but I dunno, at the moment talk of 40-odd seems a long way off.

33 degrees at midday, luckily a cooling gentle breeze making things feel… quite pleasant. Wouldn’t want to be on a tube train or sat out in the sun but have certainly felt stickier with lower temperatures in the past.

Predicted to go up a couple of degrees yet but I dunno, at the moment talk of 40-odd seems a long way off.
Peak temps are supposed to be around 5pm, so it's possible, though unlikely.

Whilst we're all being told how to stay cool....

e5ebffd5-1b38-4b46-aaab-a75845d6b73b.jpg

Currently 32° on the southern coast of Jersey. The record for the island stands at 36°. That's going today.

Last edited:
Like 24 hours off?

With the way things are heading you do wonder if we need to think about how we’re going to cope with extreme heat. I suppose we’re amongst the least well equipped nations given we’ve not needed to adapt historically, but if these extremes become relatively normal there’s a lot of catching up to do.

Wouldn’t necessarily call for people to be sent home at temperature thresholds, but it doesn’t seem right for people to be obliged to push on regardless with a bottle of water and a desk fan if they’re lucky.

Mind you, looking at the rail and tubes today, even if the staff can keep going it looks like the infrastructure can’t. Not sure how that one is dealt with in other countries but it looks like a problem that is not going to go away.

With the way things are heading you do wonder if we need to think about how we’re going to cope with extreme heat. I suppose we’re amongst the least well equipped nations given we’ve not needed to adapt historically, but if these extremes become relatively normal there’s a lot of catching up to do.

Wouldn’t necessarily call for people to be sent home at temperature thresholds, but it doesn’t seem right for people to be obliged to push on regardless with a bottle of water and a desk fan if they’re lucky.

Mind you, looking at the rail and tubes today, even if the staff can keep going it looks like the infrastructure can’t. Not sure how that one is dealt with in other countries but it looks like a problem that is not going to go away.
Siestas - a nice midday snooze

Slab tracks instead of sleeper tracks which incorporated with differently tempered steel helps in climates with consistently higher temperatures (30° air temp equates to approx 55° steel track temp). Slab costs four times more than sleeper.

Siestas - a nice midday snooze

I meant more the infrastructure - heat buckling of the tracks etc. Can’t imagine the rail service in India (insert any one of a number of countries here) falls apart in the mid/high thirties +, but dunno, maybe it does?

Anyway, now 36 and gone up 3 degrees in just over an hour.

It is hot. And sticky. Past my enjoyable threshold now for sure.

Edit: Thanks Leeds for explaining, makes sense 👍

I meant more the infrastructure - heat buckling of the tracks etc. Can’t imagine the rail service in India (insert any one of a number of countries here) falls apart in the mid/high thirties +, but dunno, maybe it does?

Anyway, now 36 and gone up 3 degrees in just over an hour.

It is hot. And sticky. Past my enjoyable threshold now for sure.

Edit: Thanks Leeds for explaining, makes sense 👍
Oh I see, I guess going forward things will have to be specced to cover a wider range of temps. No idea what that means in reality though.

The worrying thing is that these kinds of temps will become more and more common, and I guess we'll see more extremes in winter too?

Basically you get what you pay for... literally everything built in the UK is focused on lowest cost.

If the infrastructures were built at a time when no one could reasonably be expected to have factor in these kind of temperatures (at least regularly) it might be why we’re paying the price now.

Same as buildings I guess. I did once work in an ultra-modern no-espense-spared Grand Designs style office building, that was soooo efficient it didn’t need heating in the winter or cooling in the summer. And yes, you guessed it - it was fucking freezing in the winter and stifling in the summer. There was something strangely amusing about watching staff in coats with fingerless gloves bashing away on a keyboard. It became a battle of attrition between the management and staff and it was only when the top floor was closed off during the summer that the management took the fight to the architects.

Never did hear the outcome of that.

In exciting hot weather news there's an old-ish woman in a swimming cossie circling our estate on a mobility scooter - madge style. Very disturbing and really not sure what she's trying to achieve

We generally built
If the infrastructures were built at a time when no one could reasonably be expected to have factor in these kind of temperatures (at least regularly) it might be why we’re paying the price now.

Same as buildings I guess. I did once work in an ultra-modern no-espense-spared Grand Designs style office building, that was soooo efficient it didn’t need heating in the winter or cooling in the summer. And yes, you guessed it - it was fucking freezing in the winter and stifling in the summer. There was something strangely amusing about watching staff in coats with fingerless gloves bashing away on a keyboard. It became a battle of attrition between the management and staff and it was only when the top floor was closed off during the summer that the management took the fight to the architects.

Never did hear the outcome of that.
Generally, we tended to design our buildings to retain heat as the climate previously dictated.

Back