• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Greatest World Test Cricket XI (1978 to 2020)

We’re in serious danger of having no England players in the team.

Imran Khan
Ian Botham
Jacques Kallis

We're short on all time great candidates tbf.

Cook (came closeish)
Gooch/Gower/Botham/Willis (great cricketers no doubt but too many on here missed them at their best or altogether)
KP (competition in there is way too fierce)
Jimmy (may get closest, after all he has more wickets than any other seamer ever. Don't think he'll win though)

I have sort of avoided picking England players as I imagined this would be a World XI to play against the England XI we just created.

I think even with the benefit of age there's not one England player you can really say has been the best overall in their position over the last 40 years even at their height
Batsmen we've done and of the others who would you go for?
Swann vs Warne
Botham vs Khan
Jimmy vs McGrath/Hadlee
Willis vs at least 4 Windies quicks
Stewart vs Gilchrist

It's the latter for me in every instance

Yes, Jimmy is the only one that comes close. The Windies quicks picked will be interesting.

Garner - Brilliant (if Paddy doesn’t pick him I’ll eat my hat)
Marshall - The best?
Holding - Brilliant
Ambrose - Brilliant

I didn't see Marshall properly and that's a real regret of mine as the stuff I've seen is just out of this world. Curtly and Courtney will be right up there.

I’d put Walsh in a second category of their greats along with the likes of Croft, Patterson, Bishop.

Yes, Jimmy is the only one that comes close. The Windies quicks picked will be interesting.

Garner - Brilliant (if Paddy doesn’t pick him I’ll eat my hat)
Marshall - The best?
Holding - Brilliant
Ambrose - Brilliant
I think I'd go Marshall, Holding, Ambrose, Garner in that order. Will have at least the first 3 in my 5

Memories of Patterson destroying England has clouded my judgement. He doesn’t compare to the others. How could I forget Andy Roberts.

Patterson's star burned too brightly didn't it. A frightening man but was only around for a very short amount of time.

So many good bowlers I'm going to have to leave out.

Garner and Marshall will be in. As will McGrath. Then I have to decide about Holding, while still having the rather fucking massive issue of Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis.

Kallis
Khan
Kapil Dev

All Rounders result

J Kallis 26
R Hadlee 9
I Khan 8
I Botham 6
S Pollock 6
Al Hasan 3
C Cairns 2
S Waugh 2
B Stokes 2
K Dev 2

Hadlee's bowling record was great, a good job too for the Kiwi's considering the jokers that they had at the other end. Only batted 4 times at 6 and only 2 test centuries. A fine cricketer but I'm surprised he rated as high as 2 in this thread.

Adam Gilchrist
Brendon McCullum
Mark Boucher

Not fudging this and picking Sangakkara or De Villiers.

Back