• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Hall of Fame Additions

Kenny

🤨
Staff member
Reaction score
Wolves adding 2 more to the Hall of Fame at the end of the season - John McAlle and Johnny Hancocks.

I worked with John McAlle's daughter for a time. That's probably not a big deal to you local lot, but I made quite the tit of myself when I found out who her dad was. People with Wolves connections are not exactly two a penny down here.

IIRC I think I saw him break his leg playing for us. Came on as sub (and in those days there was only one sub) and almost immediately got stretchered off.

IIRC I think I saw him break his leg playing for us. Came on as sub (and in those days there was only one sub) and almost immediately got stretchered off.
Wasn't it against Watford in the FA Cup? Just before the League Cup Final too.

He missed the 1980 League Cup Final. I remember when he came out to sit on the bench with John Barnwell, and was given a great reception from the Wolves fans.
Very underrated player, great in the tackle. Would win the ball and pass to big Frank Munro. Wonderful memories.

I remember seeing Johnny Hancocks in the 1950's against the great Honved team. When he retired he worked as labourer at Sankeys in Wellington. He came out of retirement to play in a testimonial at Molineux, I think it was Doogs, not 100% sure.
A friend of mine was a good mate of Roy Pritchard (Wolves full back) and he told me that Hancocks only played the first half,
he must have been in his fifties then. He sat in the Directors box for the second half and his boots were wrapped in a newspaper.

Wasn't it against Watford in the FA Cup? Just before the League Cup Final too.

It was, I think he was only on about 5 mins, one of those horrible days that if it could go wrong it did, lost 0-3 at home to a team in a league below us.

Surely that was against Watford in the third round of the FA Cup, in January 1980? We lost 3-0, if I remember rightly. I was friends with Jack Kirkham, The Wolves' orthopaedic surgeon and it was he who fixed his leg at the new Sandwell District General Hospital. John was always known as 'Scouse' during his playing days at The a Wolves. A fine player and a great servant of the club.

So if fit would he have played instead of George Berry in the Cup Final? It's right at the beginning of my Wolves supporting life, but I don't remember him playing in 1980 and after.

By that time McCalle was no. 5 and Berry played with the no. 6 on his back.

Berry had come through as first choice ahead of McAlle by then (just been picked for Wales),generally was him and Hughes at the back.

Back