• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Hillsborough

In my opinion, Andy Burnham deserves a lot of credit for the part he has played in the campaign. From the beginning he has supported and championed their cause. Yes as an MP he has been in a position to do so, but I am sure the families of those who died will always appreciate his untiring work on behalf of justice.

In my opinion, Andy Burnham deserves a lot of credit for the part he has played in the campaign. From the beginning he has supported and championed their cause. Yes as an MP he has been in a position to do so, but I am sure the families of those who died will always appreciate his untiring work on behalf of justice.

Andy Burnham has been superb throughout the whole campaign. He supported the case not as a political issue but as a Personal one which makes a massive difference. He wasn't there to score points, he was there to help.

One of the few outside the families who comes out of the whole sorry affair with credit. Well played Andy Burnham.

I am currently watching the programme about the Hillsborough disaster, and the scenes are harrowing. How could such a thing happen? But then I remember that in those days football supporters were treated like cattle, so a disaster was bound to happen. But I do not think that anyone ever expected what happened on that day.

I am currently watching the programme about the Hillsborough disaster, and the scenes are harrowing. How could such a thing happen? But then I remember that in those days football supporters were treated like cattle, so a disaster was bound to happen. But I do not think that anyone ever expected what happened on that day.
Hypocrite

While not wishing to be disrespectful to those Liverpool fans who lost their lives, I have seen the footage of the scenes outside the Leppings Lane entrance shortly before kick off. There was a mad scramble to get in, and some fans did gain access without tickets. These documents released today do show a disgraceful cover up took place, but I am still of the opinion that had fans entered the ground in a more controlled manner, then this disaster could have been averted. Sadly, stewards at Hillsborough unknowingly made things worse. With so many fans trying to get in, they opened a set of gates to allow fans in, and they swarmed through it. The crowd surge that followed brought about the terrible scenes that some had forecast ever since the fences were put up. So really, had our football grounds not been plagued by hooliganism in the seventies and eighties, there would have been no fences, and fans would have had means of escape.

I think the main problem after the crowd surge was that no-one seemed to know what to do. Police climbed the fences telling fans to get back, unaware that fans were dying in there. Then we had the line of policemen across the half way line, put there to prevent Liverpool fans attacking Nottingham Forest fans. By that time it should have been obvious that a major incident was taking place. Then we had ambulances unable to reach injured fans, and having to carry the injured on stretchers across the pitch. It took some time for any kind of organised response to take place, and that is why the coroner was wrong to refuse to allow evidence concerning events after 3.15pm.

While there were faults all round, the behaviour of the Sun newspaper was contemptible. They accused Liverpool fans of robbing the dead and dying, yet to the best of my knowledge never offered any proof to back up their allegation. I trust there will be a front page apology in tomorrow's edition of the newspaper.

Finally, terrible as Hillsborough was, it was a tragedy that had been waiting to happen for some time. It is sad that it took such a terrible death toll to make everyone connected with the game realise that drastic changes were needed.
As above

Finally got round to watching the BBC documentary. Heartbreaking stuff and not ashamed to admit I shed a few tears. I'll never be able to wrap my head around the idea of someone going to watch a football match and never coming home. On another day that could have been one of us, or our Dads, our brothers, our mates. We trust the authorities to make sure we're safe at a big event, they blatantly couldn't give a fuck about people like us back then.

Finally got round to watching the BBC documentary. Heartbreaking stuff and not ashamed to admit I shed a few tears. I'll never be able to wrap my head around the idea of someone going to watch a football match and never coming home. On another day that could have been one of us, or our Dads, our brothers, our mates. We trust the authorities to make sure we're safe at a big event, they blatantly couldn't give a fuck about people like us back then.

Sadly before Hillsborough football fans were treated like cattle.

I just found out that my cousin was one of the producers on that documentary. I'm going to a family do on Saturday so I'll have to ask her about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ll-on-shops-to-stop-selling-the-sun-newspaper

Liverpool councillors have unanimously backed a motion calling on retailers in the city to stop selling the Sun newspaper.

A widespread boycott of the newspaper has been in place across Merseyside for over 25 years in protest at the paper’s coverage of the 1989 Hillsborough stadium disaster, which left 96 people dead.

At a council meeting in Liverpool town hall on Wednesday night councillors backed a motion calling on shops to stop selling the paper, condemning it for publishing “blatant lies”

My view is - it was 25 years ago, you've had reviews, apologies, compensation and a load of publicity, so stop fucking banging on about it and move on. trying to ban a newspaper is just childish and just makes the council look even more stupid.

Is that a bit harsh?

I hope the ban takes effect and that loathsome publication suffers as a result. 100% behind them on this.

Yeah, I'm with Langers (and Liverpool council) on this one. Nothing childish about it at all. Hope they go through with the ban.

If people choose not to buy it and the boycott seems to work why bother banning it? It is a repulsive pile of shite and you would hope any Liverpudlian wouldn't buy it anyway.

We're all too busy to call for bans in this day and age.

So people have been campaigning for a boycott of the Sun newspaper in Liverpool for 25 years but (obviously) some people are still buying it so the Council feel they should deprive them of their right to buy the (currently) Tory rag...Freedom of choice lives on!

Anything which hurts Murdoch in even the smallest of ways can only be a good thing.

Stupid ridiculous fucking idea for me.

What are the council going to do if newsagents are forced to stock it by their distributors.

Liverpool needs to fucking move on, FFS.

Back