• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

If Not Lage, Then Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For whatever reason, Graham Potter is the first name that popped into my head.
Not a chance, unfortunately. That ship has long sailed.

More chance of Jurgen Klopp.

Potter will be the next England Manager, nailed on.

Not saying he wasn't by any means. Nuno was a great manager pre covid.
Just pointing out that everywhere Wolves fan related has been banging on about turgid football, we have to have 4 at the back, we need a player reset etc. Now it's "we have to get rid of the manager". If that doesn't work what then? Sharpen the pitch forks, sack the board, burn the stadium down?
The issue with this general line of thinking is it fails to accept that at some point we WILL sack the current manager. Evidently we won’t do any of the other things. Could be years away, could be this afternoon. Realistically Bruno is never resigning, so it’s simply a question of when we sack him as it will happen. General consensus here is ‘now please’, you disagree which is (of course!) fine, but it’s a bit nuts to suggest replacing the manager to achieve better results is radical thinking. It happens all the time.

I have not got a clue but I would prefer whoever it is not to be a Mendes client and not from the Iberian Peninsula. Other nationalties are available.
People saying the current players are brilliant and would be far better with another manager are basing this on what evidence. I think we have to many players of a similar type and performance e.g. all the defensive midfieders if we play 4..3..3 or 3..4..3 it morfes into 7..0..3 .

The issue with this general line of thinking is it fails to accept that at some point we WILL sack the current manager. Evidently we won’t do any of the other things. Could be years away, could be this afternoon. Realistically Bruno is never resigning, so it’s simply a question of when we sack him as it will happen. General consensus here is ‘now please’, you disagree which is (of course!) fine, but it’s a bit nuts to suggest replacing the manager to achieve better results is radical thinking. It happens all the time.
Of course he will leave eventually, or be sacked. Take your pick on that. Right now though after all the upheaval of the last few weeks i don't think it's a good idea to have to get a complete backroom staff in place as well as implement all the changes going on in the team. There is still 34 games left. Obviously it's my take on it.

AVB is currently clubless, maybe not an ideal choice but better than what we have.

AVB is more interested in motorsport these days. He’s managed to have a foot in both camps for a few years but theres only so long you can do that.

I don’t think clearing off in January for a couple of weeks after an iffy set of results to take part in the Dakar rally would go down too well to be honest.

Of course he will leave eventually, or be sacked. Take your pick on that. Right now though after all the upheaval of the last few weeks i don't think it's a good idea to have to get a complete backroom staff in place as well as implement all the changes going on in the team. There is still 34 games left. Obviously it's my take on it.
Which I completely respect :) Personally I’m a bit down in the dumps after that match and, on the contrary, there is nothing that would reenergise me more than hearing that the entire back room staff and managers position was a vacant opportunity for a competent team. While I don’t trust the recruitment panel it’s pretty much unthinkable they could end up with worse than we have today [OK, I’ve read that back and realised how naive I sound, but, hey]. Temporary upheaval would be a small price to pay given I’ve concluded it’s permanent upheaval and discontent at present anyway. Which I know is becoming my own boring take on things. I’m bored of myself TBH, but it’s such a headline topic that no new signing or anything else matters.

AVB is more interested in motorsport these days. He’s managed to have a foot in both camps for a few years but theres only so long you can do that.

I don’t think clearing off in January for a couple of weeks after an iffy set of results to take part in the Dakar rally would go down too well to be honest.
Growing the brand in a new sector, and the possibility of taking Hwang to do the pace notes? Could be a winner.

Been discussed in the Lage poll thread.

Somebody different to a Portuguese manager. Needs a different style.

Last edited:
Which I completely respect :) Personally I’m a bit down in the dumps after that match and, on the contrary, there is nothing that would reenergise me more than hearing that the entire back room staff and managers position was a vacant opportunity for a competent team. While I don’t trust the recruitment panel it’s pretty much unthinkable they could end up with worse than we have today [OK, I’ve read that back and realised how naive I sound, but, hey]. Temporary upheaval would be a small price to pay given I’ve concluded it’s permanent upheaval and discontent at present anyway. Which I know is becoming my own boring take on things. I’m bored of myself TBH, but it’s such a headline topic that no new signing or anything else matters.
I get it. Like a lot of people you are pissed off we are not doing better. I think we should be doing better too, but i'm not at the yardarm and rope stage yet. I'm just not sure there is a complete backroom team out there currently who can just slot in seamlessly. That is just me. Lots are begging to differ on it.

In your opinion

Obviously, I posted it. If someone watches a game where the opposition have nearly 80% of the ball, have over 20 shots and 14 corners but thinks it's anything but an absolute mauling, there's no help for them.

Obviously, I posted it. If someone watches a game where the opposition have nearly 80% of the ball, have over 20 shots and 14 corners but thinks it's anything but an absolute mauling, there's no help for them.
Liverpool 9 Bournemouth 0. That is a mauling.
1-0 isn't however much the possession/corner/foul stats are. Raul's penalty goes in and it would have been a different game.

I think I might fancy that Celtic manager, no idea how feasible it is though?

Of course, totally different level up there and so a bit of a gamble - certainly no bigger than the disastrous one we’ve already taken though.

Made clever signings, plays good football and might fancy a crack at a higher level.

And has to be better than the incoherent weirdo that we’ve got now.

It was. It's just that he had Jota and a peak Jimenez winning us games before that.

Yep it was just them winning us games absolutely nothing else.
If that’s how you view the Nuno era then dear god.

I think I might fancy that Celtic manager, no idea how feasible it is though?

Of course, totally different level up there and so a bit of a gamble - certainly no bigger than the disastrous one we’ve already taken though.

Made clever signings, plays good football and might fancy a crack at a higher level.

And has to be better than the incoherent weirdo that we’ve got now.
Great shout - I suspect that will be a tricky one as they have European football and (I suspect) he is fast becoming a cult figure. Would be risky as I am not sure whether the squad has the fitness for his approach if they are struggling with 90 minutes with Lage-ball as mentioned in the verdict thread

Stevie G was a managerial god in Scotland but has been no better than Smith at Villa.

I still think with the players we have and the ambitious recruitment of recent weeks we could attract a Poch if we sell him an ambitious vision plus we have a reputation for bringing in ex Southampton managers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back