• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

If Not Lage, Then Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) It needn't be someone unemployed. You don't think during a transfer window "we need a striker, who is on a free transfer right now". Plenty of managers at other clubs would absolutely love the chance to work with our players

2) Mendes doesn't actually have that many managers on his books. Lopetegui is one of course. Lage and Nuno are there (obviously we wouldn't re-employ them) and Gattuso has only just joined Valencia. Fonseca isn't officially represented by Mendes but he does have connections to him...but he's just joined Lille. The rest are very low profile Portuguese coaches who don't even have Lage's one page, "ignore the last bit" CV, so they're off the table. So I doubt that would be our line of thinking

3) To an extent, unless you pick an absolute joke candidate then it doesn't matter too much who takes over. The window will be shut by then so who they want to sign doesn't come into it in the immediate future. And let's face it - ANYONE halfway competent would do better than 13 points from 18 games with this squad. I cannot stress enough how shit Lage is. In a binary choice I'd take any other current Premier League manager over him, including Gerrard and Lampard

I'm on the Marco Rose bandwagon started by Johnny. But I don't think it's even a difficult choice, you have a massive pool to pick from and you can go down whatever road you like. All you have to do is be better than the current guy. Like Timothy Dalton only had to be better than Roger Moore in his World of Leather years.

I find it a bit odd when people downplay Nuno's time at Wolves whilst giving much backing to the current incumbent

I find it incredible only got us promoted with ease 7th in the PL twice cup semi final and European QF. Problem is people only remember you sometimes for what you do at the end.
It’s an absolute myth that football under Nuno was always poor.

I find it incredible only got us promoted with ease 7th in the PL twice cup semi final and European QF. Problem is people only remember you sometimes for what you do at the end.
It’s an absolute myth that football under Nuno was always poor.

He was the best in most of our lifetimes and had a real connection with the fanbase, he was also highly respected by others outside of Wolves. The last season wasn't as good but that was a fucking weird season behind closed doors plus he watched his star striker almost die in front of him, watching the Code Red documentary illustrates the effect this had on Nuno. Many of us were shell shocked when it was announced he was leaving, like no other manager before

1) It needn't be someone unemployed. You don't think during a transfer window "we need a striker, who is on a free transfer right now". Plenty of managers at other clubs would absolutely love the chance to work with our players

2) Mendes doesn't actually have that many managers on his books. Lopetegui is one of course. Lage and Nuno are there (obviously we wouldn't re-employ them) and Gattuso has only just joined Valencia. Fonseca isn't officially represented by Mendes but he does have connections to him...but he's just joined Lille. The rest are very low profile Portuguese coaches who don't even have Lage's one page, "ignore the last bit" CV, so they're off the table. So I doubt that would be our line of thinking

3) To an extent, unless you pick an absolute joke candidate then it doesn't matter too much who takes over. The window will be shut by then so who they want to sign doesn't come into it in the immediate future. And let's face it - ANYONE halfway competent would do better than 13 points from 18 games with this squad. I cannot stress enough how shit Lage is. In a binary choice I'd take any other current Premier League manager over him, including Gerrard and Lampard

I'm on the Marco Rose bandwagon started by Johnny. But I don't think it's even a difficult choice, you have a massive pool to pick from and you can go down whatever road you like. All you have to do is be better than the current guy. Like Timothy Dalton only had to be better than Roger Moore in his World of Leather years.
Marco Rose, Danny Rose…….even Justin Rose.

Anyone but this joker.

Poch for me. Would need to be one HELL of a sell of the club to get him. Not a hope in hell we could get Potter now.

I liked Rose a lot at Salzburg but at Monchengladbach and Dortmund I wasn’t too convinced tbh. And his assistant is now at Leeds with Marsch.

You’d assume he’d do better than Bruno mind you

The more you read in the Spanish press (good piece in El Pais yesterday) about the pressure the Board at Sevilla are under from the fans the more you could conclude that Lopetegui to Wolves could ‘work’ for all involved. You would basically be getting someone who is overseeing a very similar situation and start to the season and may well want a way out soon. Different track record to our incumbent of course, but that apart there are some strong similarities. Not saying I’d advocate it, other than any change being positive.

I would take boring, cohesive football over the utter shit we're being served currently.

Well you can forget Poch now. Stan "Cannock Chase" Collymore is advocating him going to Villa.. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I have not got a clue but I would prefer whoever it is not to be a Mendes client and not from the Iberian Peninsula. Other nationalties are available.
I really, really want them to have a reasonable grasp of the English language. I really can't be doing listening to some shite handed out by an interpreter.

I mention Poch and MarkakaJim finds it amusing again. Maybe an opinion as to why its so ridiculous? I know you are pretty down on all things Wolves and think we're not worthy

He's recently managed one of the richest clubs in the world and took Spurs to a CL final. I think he'll just have bigger and better offers than a club nearer in the pecking order to a Southampton he moved on from years ago.

Love to be wrong though!

I agree that he is a big noise and could have better offers but then where are they? He doesn't seem to be fighting them off since leaving PSG

I know it's never gonna happen, but I have delicious vision of facilitating a discussion with the players around a big table asking them, who they would like to see coaching them! (Love to be a fly on that wall). Their choice, their responsibility, now they have to turn up and play!
But like I said, it's never gonna happen...

Given the Portuguese contingent maybe there is a good Brazilian coach out there. Ronaldo - player coach ( would he need his badges ).

I know it's never gonna happen, but I have delicious vision of facilitating a discussion with the players around a big table asking them, who they would like to see coaching them! (Love to be a fly on that wall). Their choice, their responsibility, now they have to turn up and play!
But like I said, it's never gonna happen...

Be interesting to see what some of their thoughts would be if you sat them all down in a sort of real world, not the fairy tale land of professional football, performance review.

Wonder what some of them would say when asked about their strengths and weaknesses were, where they thought they could and should improve in their job roles. Relationships that they thought were beneficial and others that weren't what they needed to be or could be improved.

Be nice if anyone with any real sporting pedigree looked into such concepts, rather than just cobbling things together on Jorge's nod and hoping it pays off.

Be interesting to see what some of their thoughts would be if you sat them all down in a sort of real world, not the fairy tale land of professional football, performance review.

Wonder what some of them would say when asked about their strengths and weaknesses were, where they thought they could and should improve in their job roles. Relationships that they thought were beneficial and others that weren't what they needed to be or could be improved.

Be nice if anyone with any real sporting pedigree looked into such concepts, rather than just cobbling things together on Jorge's nod and hoping it pays off.
Under strengths, you've put "football". But I mean that's your job, isn't it.

I don't think David Brent is going to be running any football clubs any time soon.

Yep it was just them winning us games absolutely nothing else.
If that’s how you view the Nuno era then dear god.
Not in those simple terms, but those two were the defining difference between the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons. We played in much the same way both seasons but didn't have the players to win us as many games once those two were out of the team.

Jota got us up the pitch and also scored goals, Raul was a 15 goal per season striker who we still haven't replaced. Neto was looking like a good Jota replacement until his injury, Raul still hasn't found anywhere near his old form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back