• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

If we had top four aspirations...

I think a lot of this is fair, but I'd question a couple of points: saying '8th-14th' is a huge dollop of spin... we're ten points off 8th, having played a game more. 11th-15th is more like it 😉

Also, regarding Nuno's 'ideas', I have my doubts about any formation or way of playing which only works, or which the manager will only use, when we have our entire first choice XI available! Seems unrealistic and inflexible rather than any evolutionary way forward

The table changes quickly - if Raul comes back (big if) I fancy us to put a run together. Southampton were flying not too long ago, now look at them...

To be fair that isn't really what I said (or meant) re. an inflexible formation. What I meant was Raul and Boly are pretty important to this team. And we'd all be screaming from the rooftops if we persisted with Coady/Saiss when it was very clear it wasn't working.

I think a lot of this is fair, but I'd question a couple of points: saying '8th-14th' is a huge dollop of spin... we're ten points off 8th, having played a game more. 11th-15th is more like it 😉

Also, regarding Nuno's 'ideas', I have my doubts about any formation or way of playing which only works, or which the manager will only use, when we have our entire first choice XI available! Seems unrealistic and inflexible rather than any evolutionary way forward
I wish we were man city, but we aren't.

Most sides in the premier League suffer if you take one or two key players out.

Expecting us to deal with injuries to key players and be no worse off is unrealistic, for me it is anyway.

The table changes quickly - if Raul comes back (big if) I fancy us to put a run together. Southampton were flying not too long ago, now look at them...

To be fair that isn't really what I said (or meant) re. an inflexible formation. What I meant was Raul and Boly are pretty important to this team. And we'd all be screaming from the rooftops if we persisted with Coady/Saiss when it was very clear it wasn't working.

Well tbf you were praising Nuno's ideas but then said that we didn't follow through with them cos we didn't have a couple of our best players.

I was just pointing out that isn't much of an idea then, as it relies on the best of all possible worlds, and as we've seen, there isn't much of a plan B.

I wish we were man city, but we aren't.

Most sides in the premier League suffer if you take one or two key players out.

Expecting us to deal with injuries to key players and be no worse off is unrealistic, for me it is anyway.

I'm not expecting us to not be worse off without key players, but I do expect a PL manager to use an expensively assembled squad to good use to minimise their absence.

Theres a middle ground between how we've almost fallen apart this season and being Man City! If our defence and attack don't function if you take one player out of them then that's a problem that needs addressing, either in the transfer market or on the training pitch.

I quite like the idea of us signing young players and then watching them get better and better rather than signing players at the end of their career. We might have a few seasons of treading water but long term I think we'll be better for it.

All sounds very vague and not sure what it has to do with anything, let alone a thread talking about top four aspirations! We do all want that in our lifetimes mate 😉

All sounds very vague and not sure what it has to do with anything, let alone a thread talking about top four aspirations! We do all want that in our lifetimes mate 😉
It's about buying top four talent before it becomes top four talent. We won't be able to buy top four talent when it's top four talent because the top four buy that talent.

It's a simple premise. 😉

I quite like the idea of us signing young players and then watching them get better and better rather than signing players at the end of their career. We might have a few seasons of treading water but long term I think we'll be better for it.
There is an in-between, the age we purchased Raul, Saiss, Douglas, Jonny, Semedo and Boly at.

We just need to buy players that ready for the first team but can actually develop. Tricky but can be done.

Off the top of my head, a lot of our most successful transfers have been guys who simply weren't the right "fit" where they were.

Take Jonny as an example. Everyone knew he was good, he'd shown as much at Celta Vigo. But was he going to play ahead of Filipe Luis, or Lucas Hernandez? Probably not. So we landed a player who had small worth to his current club, worth that didn't reflect his actual quality. The same could be said of Raul and Boly, and possibly Semedo (though the jury is still out on him).

Not that it's news to anyone here, but a successful transfer involves so many moving pieces falling into place at the right times, it's almost a wonder that they ever work out at all.

Off the top of my head, a lot of our most successful transfers have been guys who simply weren't the right "fit" where they were.

Take Jonny as an example. Everyone knew he was good, he'd shown as much at Celta Vigo. But was he going to play ahead of Filipe Luis, or Lucas Hernandez? Probably not. So we landed a player who had small worth to his current club, worth that didn't reflect his actual quality. The same could be said of Raul and Boly, and possibly Semedo (though the jury is still out on him).

Not that it's news to anyone here, but a successful transfer involves so many moving pieces falling into place at the right times, it's almost a wonder that they ever work out at all.
Great point, trying to find good players who are surplus to requirements at their clubs is hard.

I think it's going to depend a lot on what Fosuns aspirations are. You can see what we are trying to do, as in buy raw talent and bring them on. It has worked most of the time. As people have said the bug bear is whether the fan base can be patient. Folk on here i think for sure. On social media? No chance. 1 loss and they are calling for Nuno's head.
And will Nuno want to stick around if things turn to shit? I know he's commited to it, but there is only so much a person can take before they say "fuck it".
If the summer transfer window works out how everyone wants it could be a great season in 21/22. We'll find out..

I think it's going to depend a lot on what Fosuns aspirations are. You can see what we are trying to do, as in buy raw talent and bring them on. It has worked most of the time. As people have said the bug bear is whether the fan base can be patient. Folk on here i think for sure. On social media? No chance. 1 loss and they are calling for Nuno's head.
And will Nuno want to stick around if things turn to shit? I know he's commited to it, but there is only so much a person can take before they say "fuck it".
If the summer transfer window works out how everyone wants it could be a great season in 21/22. We'll find out..
There's only one lot of fans that really matter though and that's the ones in the ground. I don't mean that as a superfan thing, just that's the litmus test for players, managers and owners.

There's only one lot of fans that really matter though and that's the ones in the ground. I don't mean that as a superfan thing, just that's the litmus test for players, managers and owners.
Agreed. I guess this season has been dominated by SM fans more than any other time.

They don't care about me, ay

Agreed. I guess this season has been dominated by SM fans more than any other time.
I think a reasonable portion of our form this season can be put down to the pandemic one way or another so it's a moot point really, but if the season had gone the way it has in a normal season I do wonder what the atmosphere would have been like.

It's about buying top four talent before it becomes top four talent. We won't be able to buy top four talent when it's top four talent because the top four buy that talent.

It's a simple premise. 😉

Ah OK, I get you.

It's attractive sounding for sure, difficult to pull off consistently though, and surely needs augmenting with other kinds of players at the right time. I would want the weighting of our summer signings to be a little older, for instance, then maybe dip back into that youth pool at a later date

I think a reasonable portion of our form this season can be put down to the pandemic one way or another so it's a moot point really, but if the season had gone the way it has in a normal season I do wonder what the atmosphere would have been like.
If they'd have played the way they have without fans this season it wouldn't have been a very nice atmosphere, but would they have played that way with fans is the question?

Trying to put thoughts and feelings into a post without context is not my forte. I will try!

I am extremely disappointed with the recent recruitment going back three or Four windows. Only Podence and Neto in that time look up to standard. The rest have work to go to convince me and many fans that they are the right players at the right time for the right system. Looking at how we play and set up Cutrone and Fabio look odd purchases. Fabio may be one for the future but then how do you explain RAN Vitinha and Semedo? The failure to sign the centre back that has obviously been needed. Is also strange. WJ looked a good fit with his stats and figures but in the 8 or so games he has underwhelmed. The clamour for Fabio to play is a complete reaction to WJ being mostly ineffectual rather than Fabio looking any good. It’s a parody of a tallest dwarf competition. In an ideal world neither would play. Then we have Adama who has proven to be a one trick pony this season. No goals in nearly 50 games now. Neto has been a shadow for a month or so. He looks pissed at having zero help from WJ Fabio or Adama.

We have looked much better at the back and in midfield since Jonny returned and Semedo started to look like a defender not a competition winner. He was still an expensive swap for Doc as he is yet to prove to be an upgrade for me. Both Semedo and Doc will cost you three or Four a season but at least Doc scored 4 or 5 and created 4 or 5 to counter balance it.
Rui had a good February after a poor three months on the whole . We won’t get better than him we just have to hope he gets better and stops letting similar goals on. He is six down this season but probably won us some points in February. There are more serious areas to upgrade .
So in summary.for next season starters or regulars WJ Vitinha and Fabio Adama are all a no for me. MGW RAN are maybes
That’s 6 squad places to fill in the summer in a 24 person squad. Time to shop for quality and deliver. I hope we keep Neto.

Ah OK, I get you.

It's attractive sounding for sure, difficult to pull off consistently though, and surely needs augmenting with other kinds of players at the right time. I would want the weighting of our summer signings to be a little older, for instance, then maybe dip back into that youth pool at a later date
Surely that’s Jorge Mendes’ primary purpose and function and one for which he is generously rewarded?

Back