• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crystal Palace (A) build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungWolf

World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Yo
Reaction score
Into another busy run of games now, they are coming thick and fast so it's a good job we are getting so close to a fully fit squad.

Think the plan will have been to set up:

Patricio
Boly Coady Kilman
Semedo Neves Dendoncker Ait Nouri
Traore Jose Neto
If Ait Nouri is struggling for the game, there are a few options I suppose. Semedo over to left wing-back and Hoever on the right. Or could go Saiss in and play a back four, though would be harsh on Kilman who was pretty solid tonight.

Could have Moutinho in for Neves potentially, Podence for Traore in that line up too but I'd stick with Adama as their back line is pretty slow.

We will have a lot more possession in this one, so important we play at a good tempo when we have it in their half and get players into the box when we do get crosses in.

Same team as YW. If RAN isn’t fit move Semedo across.

Hopefully Palace do the same as they have done in the last 3 games against them and give the wing backs the freedom of the pitch

Vitinha for Donk. Jose for Podence. Stick with Traore to see what happens with a target man up front. Podence the dilemna. So much talent but how to accommodate?

I reckon Saiss starts at LWB if RAN isn’t fit. Then Jose for either Adama or Podence.

Vitinha for Donk. Jose for Podence. Stick with Traore to see what happens with a target man up front. Podence the dilemna. So much talent but how to accommodate?
Pod instead of Traore, he’s got a brain and moves off the ball.

Traore has the brain of a marble which leads to him having the same reading of the game as a hamster.

Pod instead of Traore, he’s got a brain and moves off the ball.

Traore has the brain of a marble which leads to him having the same reading of the game as a hamster.
Don't wanna slag off Adama. Podence, of course, will do.

Adama played well against palace last time, I’d start him again. He’d have to do better than tonight though.

I think 4 at the back this time

Rui
Semedo Boly Coady RAN
Neves Moutinho
Podence
Adama Willian Neto

Let Neto and Adama provide the width, Willian and Podence to link the play
Coady to spray balls out wide

I think 4 at the back this time

Rui
Semedo Boly Coady RAN
Neves Moutinho
Podence
Adama Willian Neto

Let Neto and Adama provide the width, Willian and Podence to link the play
Coady to spray balls out wide
This is the system I think Nuno wants to play going forward but suspect he might stick with 3 at the back for now to try and keep it tight at the back.

Pod isn't strong enough to play in that position, needs to be a midfielder with a bit of strength and defensive ability as well as attacking. MGW should be that player but I'm not sure he ever will be sadly.

Pod isn't strong enough to play in that position, needs to be a midfielder with a bit of strength and defensive ability as well as attacking. MGW should be that player but I'm not sure he ever will be sadly.
Cant remember the game but Pod played there and played well.

With his quick feet and pace he can take the ball from Willian, draw fouls spread the ball wide or just run at the centre halfs who are usually 6 foot plus and not known for there ability to turn

Rather move Semedo across and put Hoever in
Oh, I wouldn’t play Saiss at LWB - but I think that’s what Nuno will do.

Can’t say I was overly impressed with Hoever last night. Lots of aimless punts up the field, looked a bit panicky in possession and I remember one occasion where he completely skied a clearance which went back across the box, but fortunately came to nothing. He might get a bit more time on the ball against Palace, though - so I wouldn’t be completely against giving him a start.

Cant remember the game but Pod played there and played well.

With his quick feet and pace he can take the ball from Willian, draw fouls spread the ball wide or just run at the centre halfs who are usually 6 foot plus and not known for there ability to turn
He was appalling at it last night and I've seen him have one 20 minute spell as a 10.

Not his game. Far better as an inside forward who can pick the ball up in the space Jota used to pick it up.

He was appalling at it last night and I've seen him have one 20 minute spell as a 10.

Not his game. Far better as an inside forward who can pick the ball up in the space Jota used to pick it up.
He did not play it last night, he played up top on his own as a false 9, he is never gonna play that role.

I am not even suggesting he plays as a number 10, number 10's for me are largely out of the game now, a number 10 would play off a big No 9 as a strike partner, as very few teams play with 2 CF's.
My idea is for him to find space between there midfield and defence, for Willian to hold the ball up and Pod to be close by take the ball from Willian, play from there either using pace to drive, looking left or right, or even having to go back to Neves or Mout, to enable us to keep the ball better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back