• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

If we had top four aspirations...

I doubt they can hear your applause, booing or indifference at the end of the game Alan
Starts off as apathy, which carries on due to credit in bank. Then progresses to anger if things don’t improve.

Starts off as apathy, which carries on due to credit in bank. Then progresses to anger if things don’t improve.
I always think apathy is the worst. Anger shows a level of investment, apathy is just habit. There were games under Hoddle where we just chatted for 90 minutes with casual indifference as to what was happening on the pitch. Moxey just didn't have the emotional intelligence to see it

I always think apathy is the worst. Anger shows a level of investment, apathy is just habit. There were games under Hoddle where we just chatted for 90 minutes with casual indifference as to what was happening on the pitch. Moxey just didn't have the emotional intelligence to see it
Jackett was definitely apathy for me. Honestly think I spent most the games looking at my phone checking all the other scores for fantasy/ betting purposes. Then the crowd would make a noise as something had happened (rarely a goal!) like a tackle so I’d look up and then back to the phone.

Was the run of 0-0s Jackett? Reading away was so bad under him. I saw Doherty in the train station about half an hour after the final whistle too ffs

Four 0-0s in a row at home under Ken. It was shocking.

Nothing compares to Saunders though, the worst football I have ever seen by a mile then he'd come out acting the smug cunt afterwards. Prick.

Four 0-0s in a row at home under Ken. It was shocking.

Nothing compares to Saunders though, the worst football I have ever seen by a mile then he'd come out acting the smug cunt afterwards. Prick.
Moves onto anger from apathy in my scale. KJ gets apathy because he used to be alright so you feel bad hating, but with Saunders he’s just a bellend and you want him gone, no credit in bank so so straight to anger.

What stage are we at now? I love Nuno and what he has done for Wolves but I don't look forward to Wolves games at all at the moment. Sure some of it is down to the pandemic, no fans etc etc but it's also the style of play, the terrible first halves, hardly got a goal in us. I'm actually pretty glad we have got a break until the next game.

It's been gone over before, but I think some of us would prefer Nuno to start planning on the pitch for next season during the last few games of this. Let's see a bit more of 4 at the back (someone said formations don't mean much but the difference for me is we lose a functional defensive player and gain someone more creative/offensive), let's see some different player combinations (and players!). Let's see something of what this transition may look like, as it's moving imperceptibly atm.

I think if we don't see any of this in the West Ham game we'll just be plodding on in much the same vein till season close.

You seem very keen on putting words in people's mouths.

Who's to say that a few games with a couple of different players in the side and a less safety-first approach will yield less points? If we're forking out for these prospects then let's at least see them

It's been gone over before, but I think some of us would prefer Nuno to start planning on the pitch for next season during the last few games of this. Let's see a bit more of 4 at the back (someone said formations don't mean much but the difference for me is we lose a functional defensive player and gain someone more creative/offensive), let's see some different player combinations (and players!). Let's see something of what this transition may look like, as it's moving imperceptibly atm.

I think if we don't see any of this in the West Ham game we'll just be plodding on in much the same vein till season close.
Clearly watching the game on Ceefax doesn't give the picture that we've improved over the last few games. And particularly against Liverpool.

I honestly wonder what people watch sometimes.

What stage are we at now? I love Nuno and what he has done for Wolves but I don't look forward to Wolves games at all at the moment. Sure some of it is down to the pandemic, no fans etc etc but it's also the style of play, the terrible first halves, hardly got a goal in us. I'm actually pretty glad we have got a break until the next game.
Didn't you enjoy the Liverpool game?

Clearly watching the game on Ceefax doesn't give the picture that we've improved over the last few games. And particularly against Liverpool.

I honestly wonder what people watch sometimes.

Maybe people just have a different definition of 'improvement', you puffed-up superfan

Didn't you enjoy the Liverpool game?

We were decent in general play buy much of it summed us up, even when the general performance is a bit better we never really look like we are going to score. Some of the chances were very good ones but there is no expectation that we will even convert those.

The other problem I have is that we have seen improvements in general performance before and quickly reverted back to type. It's ok playing fairly well and losing to Liverpool but do you have any confidence that the performance level from that game will be replicated in our coming games which are more favourable? We are just as likely to sit off and make them look like prime Barcelona like we did for the first 45 minutes against Newcastle.

Last edited:
I suppose a lot of it comes down to your own disposition.

If you're optimistic about wolves you'll always be looking for reasons to be positive.

If you're pessimistic then you'll always be looking for reasons to be negative.

For me, I find it odd to be pessimistic about a team I want to do well. Take the Liverpool game, we showed an improvement on previous games, I take that as a hope that we'll continue to improve. Others see it as a blip on our continued journey towards purgatory.

I suppose a lot of it comes down to your own disposition.

If you're optimistic about wolves you'll always be looking for reasons to be positive.

If you're pessimistic then you'll always be looking for reasons to be negative.

For me, I find it odd to be pessimistic about a team I want to do well. Take the Liverpool game, we showed an improvement on previous games, I take that as a hope that we'll continue to improve. Others see it as a blip on our continued journey towards purgatory.

Sorry mate, I don't see this as an accurate take on how people follow their team and tbh it just sounds like 'life coach'-style platitudes.

If that's your bag then fair play, but don't expect everyone else to subscribe to it, or presume it makes you superior (which is usually the inference when this kind of thing is brought up).

We were decent in general play buy much of it summed us up, even when the general performance is a bit better we never really look like we are going to score. Some of the chances were very good ones but there is no expectation that we will even convert those.

The other problem I have is that we have seen improvements in general performance before and quickly reverted back to type. It's ok playing fairly well and losing to Liverpool but do you have any confidence that the performance level from that game will be replicated in our coming games which are more favourable? We are just as likely to sit off and make them look like prime Barcelona like we did for the first 45 minutes against Newcastle.
I hope we don't slip back to the first halves against Soton and Newcastle and we did seem to play well against Liverpool all game which I was surprised at. You're right on the goalscoring and attacking, that bit is missing but on the whole I'm glad we are creating chances now rather than sitting back being too passive and creating nothing.

I think everybody recognises the need for better attacking play and I think that will come in the summer with good recruitment and the return of Raul (I'm loathe to put it all on a pre-season) but I would like to see better, less individual attacking play and I think that is the next stage of our evolution.

I have hope we can put in another Liverpool type performance with added finishing rather than reverting back to the passive crap and on that i think Nuno does too.

Back