• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Hence why I said I had doubts about him and why we need to bring someone else in.

I don't doubt that most of us think this is the case, but to say we have enough bodies already is walking gingerly round the fact they're shite at their jobs otherwise we would be in a much better position than we are now and Lambert wouldn't have the job.

I agree with Stan, Thelwell is hopelessly out of his depth and this is a very big window for him, without strengthening a below average squad and getting rid of players not fit for a promotion push next season (why wait till the summer, bed them in now) then what is the point in having him? Jeff Shi has already said there is money available so the wages and FFP can't be used as excuses and throwing your employers under the bus isn't an option and he's running out of time to find solutions to his average performance.

I think without significant movement in or out this January and the with the usual platitudes thrown out regards signings fans will be quickly on his back (as Moxey is gone) and he won't have chance to do anything in the summer as he will be gone.

The only thing I can think is that Lambert is considering some variation of 3 5 2 or similar. That would give him the required number of centre halves allow for a new right wing back with Mr Gloves on the left, Dangerous Dave Costa and Price in Midfield with Cav and Bod or Dicko up top.

If not his comments make no sense and fly in the face of reality and previous fact.

Think you've hit the nail on the head with the formation there.

We need a massive clear out in coaches and other staff to bring new, fresh blood in who really know what they're doing.. Now it is like the old "baggage" we have are sinking us and prevent us from going forward and reach our true potential..would like even more scouting abroad, Bristol c have just signed an aussie def..

We need a massive clear out in coaches and other staff to bring new, fresh blood in who really know what they're doing.. Now it is like the old "baggage" we have are sinking us and prevent us from going forward and reach our true potential..would like even more scouting abroad, Bristol c have just signed an aussie def..

But does he have any Championship experience?! :devilsmile:

According to transfer market we have the joint biggest squad in the Championship with Sheffield Wednesday, 31 players. Purely stats wise I can see why the powers that be think our squad needs reducing even if we know we are in desperate need of quality in certain areas, cough cough defence.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraegeliste/wettbewerb/GB2

Burton have 18 of their 25 players contracts expiring this summer, crazy.

According to transfer market we have the joint biggest squad in the Championship with Sheffield Wednesday, 31 players. Purely stats wise I can see why the powers that be think our squad needs reducing even if we know we are in desperate need of quality in certain areas, cough cough defence.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraegeliste/wettbewerb/GB2

Burton have 18 of their 25 players contracts expiring this summer, crazy.

Which is all well and good that we have a large squad but you have to ask yourself why Thelwell hasn't shifted the likes of Saville and Wallace out on loan this week and you have to remember we have long term injuries in Williamson, Zyro, Graham, Saiss out at ACON and Thelwell is responsible for buying Gladon and Prince who seemingly can't get a game. That squad also includes Henry and Aaron Collins so I make that a realistic squad of 24 to choose from and that includes Saville and Wallace.

Added to this we sold our only recognised left back over a season ago and have never replaced him so Thelwell can't hide anymore, this is his squad and the only 2 players of genuine quality that aren't injured are the ones he didn't buy.

Which is all well and good that we have a large squad but you have to ask yourself why Thelwell hasn't shifted the likes of Saville and Wallace out on loan this week and you have to remember we have long term injuries in Williamson, Zyro, Graham, Saiss out at ACON and Thelwell is responsible for buying Gladon and Prince who seemingly can't get a game. That squad also includes Henry and Aaron Collins so I make that a realistic squad of 24 to choose from and that includes Saville and Wallace.

Added to this we sold our only recognised left back over a season ago and have never replaced him so Thelwell can't hide anymore, this is his squad and the only 2 players of genuine quality that aren't injured are the ones he didn't buy.

Exactly, that is why I said 'purely stats wise'. It is clear to everyone that we are short on quality in certain areas. It explains why the club are talking like they are though I think.

You honestly believe that a back four of Coady - Batth - Stearman - Doherty is going to propel us to the top 10 this season??

Oh and in Thelwell I don't trust

I think that between Iorfa Hause Stearman Wiiliamson Doherty Williamson and Coady we are fine.

I think that between Iorfa Hause Stearman Wiiliamson Doherty Williamson and Coady we are fine.

Fine if our ambition this season is to finish 12th - 16th. That may well be set up we have, get this season out of the way, try and have some fun and entertaining games and then the club is reassessed the moment the season ends.

Fine if our ambition this season is to finish 12th - 16th. That may well be set up we have, get this season out of the way, try and have some fun and entertaining games and then the club is reassessed the moment the season ends.
Sounds like they will choose this way, then an overhaul in the summer window..

Don't know how much truth is in it, but from what I've heard, all this play down is to make out we have little money to spend so we aren't ripped off in the market. It would makes sense.

Don't know how much truth is in it, but from what I've heard, all this play down is to make out we have little money to spend so we aren't ripped off in the market. It would makes sense.

that would make sense in a way

This... this is obviously it, isn't it?

I don't understand the panic. We: a) have a squad that is too big, and will need to sell/loan more than we buy, and b) won't really get either promoted or relegated this season, so gunning all-out now makes little sense. January transfer fee are always inflated relative to what they'd be in the summer because the teams near the top of the league splash out to help get them over the line. Fosun, like any reasonable company, probably doesn't see the sense in spending £10m now when they could get the same for £5m in six months, with the same net result in terms of improving the quality of the squad.

If there's a decent deal, right now, on a player in a position that we need to improve, then we'll probably go for it, but I really don't see the rush.

(Also, not surprising to see people - elsewhere, it has to be said - complaining yet again simultaneously about Lambert talking up the talent in the academy, so soon after applauding him for bringing Enobakhare and Ronan into the first team. Same thing happened to Jackett, too. Some people are never happy.)

'Not signing a centre half because we already have 6 is like not buying a Merc because you have 6 Fiat Puntos with a blown head gasket. #wwfc'

This... this is obviously it, isn't it?

I don't understand the panic. We: a) have a squad that is too big, and will need to sell/loan more than we buy, and b) won't really get either promoted or relegated this season, so gunning all-out now makes little sense. January transfer fee are always inflated relative to what they'd be in the summer because the teams near the top of the league splash out to help get them over the line. Fosun, like any reasonable company, probably doesn't see the sense in spending £10m now when they could get the same for £5m in six months, with the same net result in terms of improving the quality of the squad.

If there's a decent deal, right now, on a player in a position that we need to improve, then we'll probably go for it, but I really don't see the rush.

(Also, not surprising to see people - elsewhere, it has to be said - complaining yet again simultaneously about Lambert talking up the talent in the academy, so soon after applauding him for bringing Enobakhare and Ronan into the first team. Same thing happened to Jackett, too. Some people are never happy.)
It's also why it would be madness spending north of a £1m on Marshall now. If you put to one side whether he is actually any good we can get him for free in the Summer when the pull to play for Lambert would be just as great.

'Looks like the attempts to sign Bakary Sako has failed its thought he will stay at Palace #bcfc'

Back