• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Only six weeks or so away from getting going so may as well start a thread.

As it stands I think we need work right down the spine.

- A keeper, as Ikeme is still just about average for this level and Lonergan is no kind of option
- A centre half, as none of the current options are doing much to suggest they're the way forward
- A central midfielder, we have a lot of bodies in there who are of roughly the same standard but not many look really up to being part of a top six team
- A striker, Bod isn't scoring and Dicko is still making his way back, Mason is very average and Gladon is hopeless

I'd be looking to ship out Saville, Wallace, Doherty, Gladon and one of Coady/Price/Evans in January if we can. Either not good enough or in an area where we're overloaded. Ola John can disappear too if he likes, as can Stearman if we sign a centre half.

My number one target would be James Tarkowski. Can't get a game for Burnley but was outstanding for Brentford.

Can't disagree with any of that, although doubt we'd cancel any of our loans, even if we get another CB in in place of Stearman.

Edwards, Saville, Evans, and Price are all free agents at the end of the season, but wouldn't be surprised to see them told to find new clubs in January if possible. Henry's never going to play for us again, but I wonder if Ebanks-Landell might get a second chance under Lambert on the back of his performances at Sheffield United. We told them not to cup-tie him, after all...

I reckon we could do with 2 centre halves.

Lambert has said our squad is too big. Unless we can ship a lot of the deadwood, I can't imagine a great deal of incoming activity. We certainly won't be bringing in a goalkeeper when we already have two suitable options for this level on board (that's not my opinion, but I'm fairly confident Lambert & Co will be happy with Ikeme & Lonners as back up).

I'd be happy with one or two quality additions. Perhaps a central defender/midfielder and a forward - but I won't hold my breath.

I imagine we'll be back in for Pele, or someone like him, seeing as the only reason we didn't in August was his foot injury.

I wonder if Ebanks-Landell might get a second chance under Lambert on the back of his performances at Sheffield United. We told them not to cup-tie him, after all...

I can see why they'd be tempted, but seriously, a top L1 team is his level. He'd be adding to the chaos at the back, not to mention he's somehow worse than Batth at his worst on the ball.

Small time Thelwell will undoubtedly put forward a load of league 1 dross for Lambert to look over and reject. No good buying players if your scouting is garbage, may as well ask Mendes for his recommendations.

I reckon we could do with 2 centre halves.

That would be my priority. The longer Lambert has to assess the current squad the more likely it is he will come to this conclusion and 6 weeks will be more than enough. Another forward would be nice but if Lambert can bring the movement off the ball he managed at Norwich I think he might persist with what we’ve got in midfield. In the unlikely scenario that by mid January the POs are a realistic proposition we might bring a midfielder, otherwise I hope we give the current midfielders a chance to play in a team not intent on defence (KJ) or managed by an incompetent (WZ).

Expect 2 or 3 targetted signings in the obvious positions down the centre of the team. Tarkowski is a great shout.
Outgoings I think we'll take the opportunity to trim a couple of loans (Ola John or Tex and Stears for me) with the sale or release of fringe players like Saville if possible.
I'm also expecting Edwards to get another 12 months in the summer.

Lambert has said our squad is too big.

One throwaway line, that the E&S are hanging about twenty stories on. The squad needs a trim of the useless Jackett shite. Then there is plenty of space for decent incoming players.

A central defender is a must, we only have Hause, Batth and Stearman really as I count Iorfa as a full back as I think he is better there than in the centre of defence.

A proper left back, Doherty is terrible and CBJ is a good prospect but is way too green to play week in, week out.

A central midfielder or even two depending on what formation Lambert decides to play. I don't rate any of the central players we have except maybe Saiss. A player who does the simple stuff and offers stability and passing ability, a player like Price but better.

I think we are fine in attack especially as Dicko is getting fitter and we Graham to come back. Of course if they want to get a lethal goal scorer I wouldn't say no!

I would like a better goalkeeper than Ikeme but I doubt we will get one this window.

I would happily wave goodbye to Saville, Wallace, John, Coady, Evans, Gladon, EEL, Henry, Doherty, Stearman, Batth (not going to happen after signing a 4 year contract) and Lonergan and not give any of them a 2nd thought. I wouldn't object to Edwards and Price sticking around as squad players. Unfortunately I think most of them will survive the season at least.

One throwaway line, that the E&S are hanging about twenty stories on. The squad needs a trim of the useless Jackett shite. Then there is plenty of space for decent incoming players.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of Zengas signings found themselves surplus to requirements.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of Zengas signings found themselves surplus to requirements.

Pretty sure Zenga had little or nothing to do with any of the players we signed in the summer.

Didn't James Tarkowski move to Burnley to be nearer a family member with a terminal illness?

What about Mamadouh Sakho? from Liverpool as they are saying he would be available for loan from January?

If we need a proven goalscorer then we could try Nugent on loan.

Back