• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Well I’d be buying out his sell on rather than wasting money on Trincao or Hwang.
Would be madness to sell him now, he's far from the finished article but he's shown enough development to suggest he could be really good.
That would leave us with Marcal, who's regularly injured and getting on, and Jonny, we just don't know if he will be as good as previous.
It's a position we're ok in, why mess with it?......unless Fosun really do see us as a 'buy cheap' sell on club

Would be madness to sell him now, he's far from the finished article but he's shown enough development to suggest he could be really good.
That would leave us with Marcal, who's regularly injured and getting on, and Jonny, we just don't know if he will be as good as previous.
It's a position we're ok in, why mess with it?......unless Fosun really do see us as a 'buy cheap' sell on club

From what I understood we’ve paid £10m but have an option to buy out the sell on for around £8m, bringing it back up to the previously agreed fee. I agreed with the strategy in the summer as there were still some doubts, but now It’s a low risk investment for a player with a few years of top flight pedigree, now playing at a consistent good level, at his age. We paid over double that for someone with no pedigree at any senior level.

He’s not realised his potential yet so would be too early in the “buy low, sell high” strategy.

RAN linked with a £30m move to PSG.

That would be a mistake for us.
If PSG seriously want him, PSG will obviously get him - he’s French and they’re one of the biggest clubs in world football.

Let’s be realistic.

What would probably be the best scenario would be to get as much as possible for him, also throwing in a couple of the PSG “fringe” players as part of the deal.

It’s fantastic that our players are being mentioned as targets for clubs like PSG - means that (a small part of) our recruitment is doing it’s job.

If PSG seriously want him, PSG will obviously get him - he’s French and they’re one of the biggest clubs in world football.

Let’s be realistic.

What would probably be the best scenario would be to get as much as possible for him, also throwing in a couple of the PSG “fringe” players as part of the deal.

It’s fantastic that our players are being mentioned as targets for clubs like PSG - means that (a small part of) our recruitment is doing it’s job.
A) The club will get what they can and £30m isn't enough imo.
B) PSG have been watching him for years
C) Our recruitment is laughable.

A) The club will get what they can and £30m isn't enough imo.
B) PSG have been watching him for years
C) Our recruitment is laughable.

Laughable in recent times yea. Hard to argue with it before the last couple of windows mind if you look at the whole of recruitment during Fosuns tenure.

Laughable in recent times yea. Hard to argue with it before the last couple of windows mind if you look at the whole of recruitment during Fosuns tenure.
Last 4 windows in reality. Not sure what's going on but it's more than just one duff window.

We haven't improved our CB's or CM since we've come up, that's not good.

Last edited:
Last 4 windows in reality. Not sure what's going on but it's now than just one duff window.

We haven't improved our CB's or CM since we've come up, that's not good.
O I agree. I previously mentioned our starting 11 in our first season is arguably stronger than our strongest 11 now. For ant team looking to progress, or even maintain their position then that shouldn’t be the case

I wonder if it's ever happened before where a team has smashed their record transfer fee signing a player they have no intention of actually playing.

I wonder if it's ever happened before where a team has smashed their record transfer fee signing a player they have no intention of actually playing.
Can’t recall in premier league times. I’m still optimistic that hopefully Silva will contribute more than afonso Alves or Van Wolfswinkel. Might be a fools optimism, but those two are atrocious record signings

I still think Silva might become a really good player, the weird thing is buying him and then having to wait 3-4 years to find out. As has been pointed out on here before, strikers usually mature later than other players. Think it was said even Shearer didn't score hardly at all before his early 20's, Fabio is still 2-3 years off that.

I can just imagine him having a breakthrough season and then us having to sell him for a cut price fee because he's only got a year left on his contract and refuses to sign a new one.

I still think Silva might become a really good player, the weird thing is buying him and then having to wait 3-4 years to find out. As has been pointed out on here before, strikers usually mature later than other players. Think it was said even Shearer didn't score hardly at all before his early 20's, Fabio is still 2-3 years off that.

I can just imagine him having a breakthrough season and then us having to sell him for a cut price fee because he's only got a year left on his contract and refuses to sign a new one.
Shearer had a First Division hat trick at 17

But pretty much nothing else.

87/88: 3 goals in 5
88/89: 0 goals in 10
89/90: 3 goals in 26
90/91: 4 goals in 36

Total: 10 goals in 77

God knows what would come Silva's way with that record.

£3.5m was massive then, believe me (you whippersnapper). Record British fee and Blackburn were newly promoted. Would be like I dunno, Coventry coming up this season and spending £50m on a striker who hadn't scored all that many goals.

Sounds ridiculous but £35m isn't a ridiculously huge figure these days (you can argue the rights and wrongs of that). Hefty for sure and nowhere near value in this instance - at least as far as we can see so far - but it's not an astronomical number in and of itself. I mean Villa spent around that on three separate players this summer and none of them are world beaters.

Back