• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

I think they've come to the conclusion that Adama isn't going to sign a new contract, so whether it's this window or the summer (more likely), he'll be off. Circa £20m in the bank for Adama and £3m going the other way for a lad who *might* turn in to a special player is the Fosun way, isn't it?

The Athletic confirmed a few days back that he'd be part of the first team squad straightaway.

I suspect decisions on Hwang/Trincao will be made in the summer. Trincao is the more difficult of the two, because he's on big wages and will cost £25m, but in terms of output, he isn't showing much so needs a good second half of the season. It's hard because there's obviously a talent in there. We could turn him down and then in 2-3 seasons he could kick on and be out of our reach. Tough decision there.

Can see us loaning back to Estoril if we keep Adama this month. Agree with Dan though, may mean we are less sure about signing Trincao and Hwang.

He looks quite interesting though, just got into Portugal U21 squad and we know how strong they can be.

In other news linked with Riqui Puig. I don't even know if it would work but it would still give me an erection (fnarr). He's a wonderful footballer

Can see us loaning back to Estoril if we keep Adama this month. Agree with Dan though, may mean we are less sure about signing Trincao and Hwang.

He looks quite interesting though, just got into Portugal U21 squad and we know how strong they can be.

In other news linked with Riqui Puig. I don't even know if it would work but it would still give me an erection (fnarr). He's a wonderful footballer
With Puig, I wonder if we're having regrets over Vitinha and still want a João back up, which Puig would be.

If we can get him on loan with a view to buy that would be tremendous business.

With Puig, I wonder if we're having regrets over Vitinha and still want a João back up, which Puig would be.

If we can get him on loan with a view to buy that would be tremendous business.
The famous "swap deal" that never seems to happen? Traore to Barcelona with Puig and a little cash coming to us?

I refuse to believe for even a second that Puig would ever come here. He's a superb footballer.

I refuse to believe for even a second that Puig would ever come here. He's a superb footballer.
he needs to play though! Can see a loan to someone in La Liga mind you.

Here's the article on Puig.

Say's we wouldn't include a "buy" option and it would just be a straight loan.

I know him in a football manager/Fifa kind of way, but I haven't seen too much of him. He's only scored 1 goal in 40 or so senior appearances - is he a defensive player or do the stats not tell the true story?

Never heard of Puig. Whats the scoop on him aside from the aforementioned comparison to Vitinha/Mou?

Not sure if there’s any point to a straight loan these days. We’re not in so much trouble that I’d want us playing someone who will never be a full Wolves player by design.

Never heard of Puig. Whats the scoop on him aside from the aforementioned comparison to Vitinha/Mou?

Not sure if there’s any point to a straight loan these days. We’re not in so much trouble that I’d want us playing someone who will never be a full Wolves player by design.
We had to play Leander Dendonker in midfield on Saturday. There's the point.

I might be on my own but I don’t want us loaning players that we have no intention/chance of ever owning.

Developing another club’s player makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever - especially when we have our own “fringe” players (Jordao springs to mind) that none of us know are good enough yet?

I understand it if you’re in Newcastle’s position (fighting relegation and wages no issue) but can’t see that it would be beneficial for us, one little bit.

In the abstract I see the argument, but Puig is far better than anyone we have lurking behind the scenes.

We could be a small handful of points off the Europa/Conference League come the end of the season. If we can improve a position for half a season then we absolutely should. We're in the fight for Europe and marginal gains are what make the difference between success and failure. If we were 10-15th I'd be fully on board with concentrating on our own youngsters, but not when there's a big prize at stake

I might be on my own but I don’t want us loaning players that we have no intention/chance of ever owning.

Developing another club’s player makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever - especially when we have our own “fringe” players (Jordao springs to mind) that none of us know are good enough yet?

I understand it if you’re in Newcastle’s position (fighting relegation and wages no issue) but can’t see that it would be beneficial for us, one little bit.
Would you say No to Connor Gallagher?

We could be a small handful of points off the Europa/Conference League come the end of the season. If we can improve a position for half a season then we absolutely should. We're in the fight for Europe and marginal gains are what make the difference between success and failure. If we were 10-15th I'd be fully on board with concentrating on our own youngsters, but not when there's a big prize at stake
Agree with this.

I'd add that we may have a player lined up but can't get him until the summer so if Puig fills a need for 6 months why wouldn't you do that?

If we do get the prize of Europe and Puig helps then I'm sure that puts us in a very different position to purchase players this time around.

Also, none of our CM's at youth level are remotely good enough (piss poor recruitment) for PL football and probably never will be.

If its only a loan but there's a chance to entice a young would-be star to this country and our club, then it might be worth it. But its a risk.

If he's a success in this country it might turn his head, but on the flip side it'd mean Barca would increase his permanent price and a bidding war might ensue. Which we'd probably shy away from ultimately.

If he's as good as the highlights look, 3m for him makes 14m for Hwang look like a mugging.

And I like Hwang.

If we are paying his wages, developing him as a player and then giving him back to Chelsea to start all over again……

Then yes - absolutely - I would say no to Conor Gallagher on loan, with no purchase option.

100%.
Would you say no to Phil Foden in the same logic?

Back