• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Jeremy Corbyn

I'd be interested to know peoples ideas of what an effective opposition would look like. The current opposition opposes the govt pretty much across the board. Under Ed they essentially agreed with austerity and the horrible anti-immigrant $#@!e and I'm sure under Cooper, Kendall or Burnham they'd have done the same.
Pretty much every independent report suggests that Brexit is bad for this country. The same reports suggest that the areas that will be hardest hit are Labour's heartlands. Rather than an education process in conjunction with the unions Corbyn et al have decided to ignore this and tacitly support the Government's position. It's spineless and treacherous to the people they claim to represent.

Obviously that's not me criticising Corbyn.

So why did this forum fail to recognise the failure and hypocrisy of Jez-fest. Had the Conservatives conducted themselves in a similar fashion then the swords would have been out for them.

As pointed out - I think a lot of people simply weren’t interested. I haven’t followed it at all, and I’m one of a few people on here who have supported Corbyn

Equally, where were you when Chope and Davies acted so despicably last week? Double standards me thinks

Well, essentially everything in the last two years has been about Brexit (try listing any other major legislation in that time) and they don't oppose that.

True enough. He's trying to play a game with brexit as I think he fears losing working class votes to ukip or the tories. The tories did pretty much hoover up the ukip vote at the last election.

True enough. He's trying to play a game with brexit as I think he fears losing working class votes to ukip or the tories. The tories did pretty much hoover up the ukip vote at the last election.
The game he's playing is getting what he wants, Brexit, without getting the blame. Acting in his own best interests if you will.

The game he's playing is getting what he wants, Brexit, without getting the blame. Acting in his own best interests if you will.

Kier Starmer’s tests of any agreement should, if carried through, prevent the Labour Party continuing to support Brexit and at the very least push them into supporting a second referendum on the deal. As yet, I don’t think they have spelt out what would happen if an agreement doesn’t meet their test.

The tories did pretty much hoover up the ukip vote at the last election.

I know, amazing innit.

I'd say he shouldn't be trying to win unwinnable arguments or trying to come up with undeliverable solutions and should instead concentrate on the more straightforward task of ramming home the message that in its current form Brexit is always going to be disastrous, and the way the Government are dealing with it means we'll be towards the more severe end of the disaster scale. But what do I know.

Loads of Labour MPs will refuse to vote against Brexit due to the way their constituencies voted in the referendum. There aren't enough Tory rebels and Labour remainers to affect any meaningful change. Best they can hope for is getting something on the final 'meaningful vote'.

Brexit is no good for Labour- half the Labour vote are leave and half remain. The members on the other hand are almost all remainers whilst the PLP are split. No easy path forward here.

What Edmund Burke said nearly 250 years ago still holds true.

I don't care what Barry from Billericay thinks, he isn't trusted to hold ministerial office. Those who are should not be driving the country off a cliff.

Brexit will make poor people poorer. I don't give a fuck how many voted for it, Labour shouldn't support it.

What Edmund Burke said nearly 250 years ago still holds true.

I don't care what Barry from Billericay thinks, he isn't trusted to hold ministerial office. Those who are should not be driving the country off a cliff.

You're paraphrasing, of course. ;)

Fucked up the antisemitism... again
b33e94f102778df1045f9c3c6e4b2186.jpg

How is there so little discussion on a politics forum of racist old jezzas latest catastrophe?

Lack of interest, already assume he’s pointless or only noticing the fuckups of one side? Genuine question...

I notice there’s not been any commments on Teresa’s one for a couple of weeks either, general disingagement apart from Brexit?

I've just had enough of the twat now tbh. The Tories are getting away with murder because this bloke will never, ever be elected PM. He'd rather stay as opposition leader than have a different Labour PM, and it's a selfishness that's going to cripple politics for a few years yet

Because he's not in Government and has little support generally on here. There isn't anything really new about the anti semitism storyline just Corbyn's continued hamfisted/incompetent handling of it.

The Tories are getting away with murder because this bloke will never, ever be elected PM. He'd rather stay as opposition leader than have a different Labour PM, and it's a selfishness that's going to cripple politics for a few years yet

This. The Tories are tearing themselves apart but not worse than Labour and in particular the very left wing (communist?) Momentum section of the party. They seem intent on a split of the Party and Corbyn is as left wing as they get so is going along with this. He's an anarchist, anti-establishment MP that is the flip side of the coin to Farage/ Rees-Mogg. Completely undetectable and so the malaise will continue for a good while yet.

Probably until the Brexit date goes and both leaders get the boot.

Agree with all that - our politics is in a right mess, across all parties.

May, Corbyn and walking dead vince, with support from bojo, McDonnell, sturgeon, hunt, Watson et al - unelectable pygmies all, and a system that lends itself to nastiness across the board rather than sensible debate and practical change.

Does being anti-the state of Israel make one automatically antisemitic? I'd have thought antisemitism is akin to racism, whereas anti-the state of Israel is an arguable political viewpoint. I'm no Corbyn apologist but I sort of feel the antisemitic thing has gone a bit OTT. Not that I'm particularly bothered TBH.

I think that is a fair point. I happen to think the Palestinians got somewhat of a raw deal when Israel was created. And the creation of that state was always going to ruffle a lot of arab feathers, and Israel is somewhat less than diplomatic at many opportunities.

It’s a pain as antisemitism is always confused with antizionism - often purposely.

It is clear that there are swathes of the Labour Party which are antisemitic rather than just anti-Israel. I do think, though,m a lot of this is further whipped up by a right wing media desperate to paint labour as bad and ignore the hatred of Islam in the Tory party too.

Read David Baddiel's Twitter timeline on any given day to see the number of people who either can't distinguish between the two or think one justifies the other

Back