• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

So easy to resolve too. Raynor writes out a cheque for the disputed sum says that she'll gladfully send it off to the HMRC, should they deem that it is due, or send it to a charity if its not. She can state that she wants to pay all taxes due, had previously been given advice that on this occasion there was nothing to pay, will publish all her tax returns and challenge every Tory MP and journalist at the Daily Heil to do the same.

I’m not sure it’s as easy as that. The retrospective tax advice confirming there is nothing to pay is only true on the basis that what she told HMRC was the truth. She’s clearly bent some of the rules and if a little more digging is able to tip the balance to a blatantly fraudulent return then she’s in big trouble.

The disparity in scale between her (alleged) offence and the number of obviously crooked and morally corrupt Tories to a large extent becomes irrelevant. Labour have to be seen to be squeaky clean and if the Tories can nail her on this one her credibility is shot and it massively undermines Labour too.

I’m not sure it’s as easy as that. The retrospective tax advice confirming there is nothing to pay is only true on the basis that what she told HMRC was the truth. She’s clearly bent some of the rules and if a little more digging is able to tip the balance to a blatantly fraudulent return then she’s in big trouble.

The disparity in scale between her (alleged) offence and the number of obviously crooked and morally corrupt Tories to a large extent becomes irrelevant. Labour have to be seen to be squeaky clean and if the Tories can nail her on this one her credibility is shot and it massively undermines Labour too.
She was a care worker at the time so not sure if she was required to complete a self assessment tax return. Fitting a kitchen in the property or other improvements could reduce the possible £1500 tax owed down to nil
The optics of avoiding tax will be damaging but I’d hazard a guess there’s 400 similar tales if you do enough digging into the tax affairs of MPs. That doesn’t make anything right but if the story would have been buried for £1500 then why let it rumble if there’s any doubt with the advice given.

She was a care worker at the time so not sure if she was required to complete a self assessment tax return. Fitting a kitchen in the property or other improvements could reduce the possible £1500 tax owed down to nil
The optics of avoiding tax will be damaging but I’d hazard a guess there’s 400 similar tales if you do enough digging into the tax affairs of MPs. That doesn’t make anything right but if the story would have been buried for £1500 then why let it rumble if there’s any doubt with the advice given.

The CGT process gets triggered at completion. She’d have had 30 days to pay that (it used to be 60 so may well have been so at the time), but if she was self-employed/SA then she would’ve had until the following year to pay that way.

The big story though is not about the tax avoidance or her tax advice, it’s about any dishonesty and attempts at tax evasion. It’s a bit of an interest area of mine, and as I see it she’s ’played the game’ and I think there’s definitely something worth looking into (From the Tories perspective) and could be a game changer (reasons above).

Hers is a classic case. A couple meet, one (or both) have properties, they want to live together but know you can only have one principal address exposing the other property to CGT.

This is where it gets interesting. When she moved in with/married MR she didn’t sell or rent the property on the open market - she moved her brother in ‘rent free’. (There is some discussion to be had around tax needing to be paid on the ‘open market’ rate irrespective of what she actually receives (supposedly £zero.) Those doing the digging for the Tories will be all over that but we’ll park that as this is CGT for now).

She was 3 years into ownership when she moved in with MR. Her right-to-buy was heavily discounted and there would’ve been conditions around that:

Firstly, discount to be repaid if sold within x years (I think it’s generally around 5 years now (will council’s retaining first refusal buy-back for a further 10 years after that (at open market value (which they never do coz they’re skint))).

Secondly, there are rental restrictions too (normally no HMO’s)

As I see it it’s clear the big bucks were to be had by holding the property as long as necessary to draw out the discount and avoid repaying it which she has done. She’s been very cute for sure.

‘Some’ (an awful lot of) people put family members into such properties in this situation to bypass any conditions and manipulate the £zero rent/open market tax ramifications). I’m sure Angela would never do such a thing of course.

Then of course she’s playing everyone for a fool in saying “As with the majority of ordinary people who sell their own homes, I was not liable for capital gains tax because it was my home and the only one I owned.”

She married in 2010 so irrelevant that it was the only one she owned (see couples/principal address), and she’s desperately floundering when suggesting she was resident there after 2010 (avoiding CGT) when she was married, living at the other address and her brother had moved in.

In my view she’s lying on at least 2 fronts. She’s hiding behind a smoke screen of her being advised she paid the correct tax (based on false declarations or naivety, you decide) and it won’t wash.

The damage to Labour also lies in the (lack of) morality behind this - the ‘made-good working class hero’ who abused the system for her own gain.

No doubt may of us would’ve done the same, but for someone of her standing who lectures in morality it’s incredibly stupid to have left the back door wide open

Tricky times for her and Starmer and it’s not likely to get any easier.

Last edited:
The CGT process gets triggered at completion. She’d have had 30 days to pay that (it used to be 60 so may well have been so at the time), but if she was self-employed/SA then she would’ve had until the following year to pay that way.

The big story though is not about the tax avoidance or her tax advice, it’s about any dishonesty and attempts at tax evasion. It’s a bit of an interest area of mine, and as I see it she’s ’played the game’ and I think there’s definitely something worth looking into (From the Tories perspective) and could be a game changer (reasons above).

Hers is a classic case. A couple meet, one (or both) have properties, they want to live together but know you can only have one principal address exposing the other property to CGT.

This is where it gets interesting. When she moved in with/married MR she didn’t sell or rent the property on the open market - she moved her brother in ‘rent free’. (There is some discussion to be had around tax needing to be paid on the ‘open market’ rate irrespective of what she actually receives (supposedly £zero.) Those doing the digging for the Tories will be all over that but we’ll park that as this is CGT for now).

She was 3 years into ownership when she moved in with MR. Her right-to-buy was heavily discounted and there would’ve been conditions around that:

Firstly, discount to be repaid if sold within x years (I think it’s generally around 5 years now (will council’s retaining first refusal buy-back for a further 10 years after that (at open market value (which they never do coz they’re skint))).

Secondly, there are rental restrictions too (normally no HMO’s)

As I see it it’s clear the big bucks were to be had by holding the property as long as necessary to draw out the discount and avoid repaying it which she has done. She’s been very cute for sure.

‘Some’ (an awful lot of) people put family members into such properties in this situation to bypass any conditions and manipulate the £zero rent/open market tax ramifications). I’m sure Angela would never do such a thing of course.

Then of course she’s playing everyone for a fool in saying “As with the majority of ordinary people who sell their own homes, I was not liable for capital gains tax because it was my home and the only one I owned.”

She married in 2010 so irrelevant that it was the only one she owned (see couples/principal address), and she’s desperately floundering when suggesting she was resident there after 2010 (avoiding CGT) when she was married, living at the other address and her brother had moved in.

In my view she’s lying on at least 2 fronts. She’s hiding behind a smoke screen of her being advised she paid the correct tax (based on false declarations or naivety, you decide) and it won’t wash.

The damage to Labour also lies in the (lack of) morality behind this - the ‘made-good working class hero’ who abused the system for her own gain.

No doubt may of us would’ve done the same, but for someone of her standing who lectures in morality it’s incredibly stupid to have left the back door wide open

Tricky times for her and Starmer and it’s not likely to get any easier.

That's probably as good an explainer as I've seen/heard, ta. On face value she's definitely gamed the system to save herself a few grand, and 95% of us would've done the same, but it's definitely not helpful politically. That's why I said yesterday the only way over it is to 'whatabout' them to death; "look, it's fine for them to steal millions through avoidance and corruption but as soon as working class mom games the system for a few grand, they're all over it" kind of thing. It's either that, or investigate and sack her

As the elected deputy leader, I dont believe she cam be sacked from that role anyway? Whip removed might be the one way, and an extreme solution that won't be a vote changer - perhaps the opposite from those on the further left

As the elected deputy leader, I dont believe she cam be sacked from that role anyway? Whip removed might be the one way, and an extreme solution that won't be a vote changer - perhaps the opposite from those on the further left
She shadows the levelling up cabinet position which could be removed. I'm not saying he should, but pretending it doesn't exist is making it a bigger political event than facing into it

That's probably as good an explainer as I've seen/heard, ta. On face value she's definitely gamed the system to save herself a few grand, and 95% of us would've done the same, but it's definitely not helpful politically. That's why I said yesterday the only way over it is to 'whatabout' them to death; "look, it's fine for them to steal millions through avoidance and corruption but as soon as working class mom games the system for a few grand, they're all over it" kind of thing. It's either that, or investigate and sack her

Difficulty for SKS is morally superior AR capitalising on a Tory policy in such a sensitive area as housing whilst evading tax on top is a terrible look.

Without going too off-piste, it also shows how the right-to-buy is abused and how low-cost social housing falls very quickly into the private sector with any well-intended discounts offered to the tenant squirrelled away as juicy profits (hello Angela) with negative consequences for everyone else. Not a problem if you put your pocket before your morals but Angela Rayner of all people doing precisely that is gold dust for the Tories, never mind the tax evasion.

She’s also undermined any attack on Tory housing policy so despite being very difficult to defend, Starmer has also got to ask himself if it’s beneficial to do so.

I just can’t make sense of why getting married means you have to pay tax on a house sale.

I can't make sense of why when someone dies tax is paid on what has already been taxed.

I just can’t make sense of why getting married means you have to pay tax on a house sale.

You don’t if it’s your primary residence. If you own more than one then the other is effectively just an asset and not a home.

Couples used to play the system to avoid CGT by saying they lived independently. They could gain also by buying a 2nd home as their individual primary address, thus avoiding ‘additional home’ Stamp Duty’ at time of purchase. CGT and Stamp Duty evasion in one go is something most people would want stopping.

With a ‘couple’ (married or otherwise) now only being able to have one primary address that loophole ‘should’ be closed (hello Angela).

The laws are changing rapidly and there’s logic behind discouraging property to be stockpiled and treated as assets rather than housing. There’s a similar drive against landlords too, the consequences of which are still to be fully realised but that’s a longer story.

Some whataboutery regarding couples playing the system. Legitimately taking £39k in 2 years from the public purse to rent a flat whilst owning a property a mile or two away.

As for Starmer does anyone think that he's comfortable with the Raynor situation as he can keep her in her positions until anyone produces charges otherwise, but sack her if such charges arise. It's widely reported that he wanted to demote her a couple of years back.

As alluded to previously I thought the deep digging could see the tricky part lay beyond the CGT issue. Didn’t take them long it seems and this bit from the article is very telling:

“Tax experts have estimated that, while Ms Rayner may not have owed anything in Capital Gains Tax following the sale depending on her residency situation, there are circumstances in which she could have owed as much as £3,500 to HM Revenue and Customs.”

Won’t be long before we can see the beads of sweat on SKS’s brow now.

That misses the point. Probably the only realistic thing that can damage Labour now is 'they are all the same' this unfortunately will be amplified more than any of the Tory corruption. Not enough to change the overall result, but could reduce turnout.

I don’t think it will have any significant affect on votes but it’s the complete undermining of Labour’s advantage in condemning Tory sleaze whilst presenting as the polar opposite.

It’s a chronic own-goal and you can’t blame the Tories for going both barrels.

Back