• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Kenny Jackett: Are Wolves his Titanic?

The thing that has frustrated me the most this season is that Jackett can clearly see the same problems we're seeing, he just doesn't seem to be doing much about it.

I really don't want to turn against KJ but he's in real danger of losing me. His recent quotes about Ameobi have really worried me, talking about his size, how he can hold the ball up and 'offset some of our other forwards'. Recently we've looked poor going forwards because the movement in midfield hasn't been intelligent enough and our defenders have had to launch the ball up to strikers who can't really contest high balls. The answer isn't to double down on the turgid long ball stuff by buying in a target man, it's to get us playing through the thirds so we can get into positions where we can play Afobe and le Fondre through on goal, that's where the true strength of our side is. Alongside Iorfa and Martinez, those are the only two (fully fit) premium quality footballers in our squad right now, play to their strengths, don't drop one of them for Shola Ameobi.

Seeing as it's the exact philosophy that KJ has been preaching since he arrived, we should have the players to play good football by now, if we don't then it's his own fault. There's no reason for the team to be in such a state of flux so far into Jackett's tenure at Wolves.

If we just miss out on the play offs again do people think that's time for a change?

No.
If we end up in the bottom 6, then yes.
All of his limitations will have become exposed and he'll be all washed up and forever be known as a Div 1 Manager.
Or middle of the road if that's too specific.

KJ is seemingly desperate to get in a big lad up top, see Sagbo, Leon etc. It worries me as these players don't fit into the winning formula he (accidently?) Stumbled upon.

I will take last weekends draw as a starting point and I hope he can turn it around, but I have a feeling he won't and we will be searching for a manager sooner rather than later.

Also this team should not be in the bottom half of the table, as a minimum it is good enough to be pushing for the playoffs.

KJ is seemingly desperate to get in a big lad up top, see Sagbo, Leon etc. It worries me as these players don't fit into the winning formula he (accidently?) Stumbled upon.

I will take last weekends draw as a starting point and I hope he can turn it around, but I have a feeling he won't and we will be searching for a manager sooner rather than later.

Also this team should not be in the bottom half of the table, as a minimum it is good enough to be pushing for the playoffs.

i will commit blasphemy here............ If you have the players to play successful hoofball then play it and win games. If that means a big man up top fed by 2 wingers and a solid midfield then that too would be fine by me if the right players fill the right positions. My issue is we may as well play Ikeme on the left wing as Dave Edwards and if Doherty is a Championship full back then I am an international Goalkeeper

Of course we would all like fast attractive flowing football and we were approaching a good style of play in league one and the second half of last year so I am sorry to see the change. But stop bloody shoehorning the wrong players into the wrong style in the wrong games.... See Tony Pulis- knock him all you like but it works.

We are where we are. We can stop bemoaning the squad depth and now should play to our strengths and that injury to Dangerous Dave could be a blessing in disguise with reagrd to selecting the right team to match the style of play.

i will commit blasphemy here............ If you have the players to play successful hoofball then play it and win games. If that means a big man up top fed by 2 wingers and a solid midfield then that too would be fine by me if the right players fill the right positions. My issue is we may as well play Ikeme on the left wing as Dave Edwards and if Doherty is a Championship full back then I am an international Goalkeeper

Of course we would all like fast attractive flowing football and we were approaching a good style of play in league one and the second half of last year so I am sorry to see the change. But stop bloody shoehorning the wrong players into the wrong style in the wrong games.... See Tony Pulis- knock him all you like but it works.

We are where we are. We can stop bemoaning the squad depth and now should play to our strengths and that injury to Dangerous Dave could be a blessing in disguise with reagrd to selecting the right team to match the style of play.

BURN THE FOOTBALLING HERETIC!

I care more about Wolves winning than purity, the problem is we play the big man in a no. 10 role and that doesn't work! Also the physical big lad up top and lump it is not the ethos that has worked well for us for the past 2 seasons.

The problem is the hoofball isn't working, nor will it prepare us for life in the prem.

We aren't set up to play long ball. We don't have the players for it. At the moment we are playing hoofball because the players are panicking not out of a tactical choice imo.

For the record my preference is not to watch longball football!

We were hoofing it on Saturday because the central midfield was completely devoid of any creativity, neither player is capable of picking the ball up deep from the back four and they never show for it in those areas, and the centre halves aren't great on the ball so can't bring the ball out of defence or pass it with any great accuracy themselves. Poor selection regarding the midfield, how obvious is it that pairing Coady and Edwards there limits you.

KJ was brought on when Wolves had suffered a double relegation. He then got us back to the championship with a record points haul, and came within a whisker of reaching the play offs last season. And now because of a slightly stuttering start, questions are being asked. He will sort it out, hopefully the fans give him the backing he deserves for the excellent job he has done at Molineux. I find it sad that there is talk of replacing him.

KJ was brought on when Wolves had suffered a double relegation. He then got us back to the championship with a record points haul, and came within a whisker of reaching the play offs last season. And now because of a slightly stuttering start, questions are being asked. He will sort it out, hopefully the fans give him the backing he deserves for the excellent job he has done at Molineux. I find it sad that there is talk of replacing him.

The trouble is, he needs to recognise the mistakes HE is making. His selections and style of play has far departed from the style that got him the record points and the whisker!

We were hoofing it on Saturday because the central midfield was completely devoid of any creativity, neither player is capable of picking the ball up deep from the back four and they never show for it in those areas, and the centre halves aren't great on the ball so can't bring the ball out of defence or pass it with any great accuracy themselves. Poor selection regarding the midfield, how obvious is it that pairing Coady and Edwards there limits you.

This is the crux of the problem for me. The hoofball isn't a tactical choice, it's a reflection on having no ball playing centre half and no one on midfield who wants to have the ball at their feet for, the two together are stifling our attacking play and healing pressure on our defence. This is not a winning formula!

The trouble is, he needs to recognise the mistakes HE is making. His selections and style of play has far departed from the style that got him the record points and the whisker!

I think he does recognise the mistakes he's making, I just think that so far he's been unable to do anything about it.

This is the crux of the problem for me. The hoofball isn't a tactical choice, it's a reflection on having no ball playing centre half and no one on midfield who wants to have the ball at their feet for, the two together are stifling our attacking play and healing pressure on our defence. This is not a winning formula!

I think we do have the players to play that way. Hause, EEL, Golbourne, Iorfa, even Doherty, they should be much better with the ball at their feet than they've shown this season and with the exception of Edwards the same goes for the midfield as well. We don't have many cloggers, this team has been assembled with the desire to play decent passing football. Kenny said at the FP that he hadn't found the right mix yet and that's shocking with the players we have at our disposal.

The real star in our team is Benik Afobe, his pace to get in behind defences and his clinical finishing when one-on-one with the keeper. That should be our greatest strength but as far as I can recall we've not managed to play Afobe through on goal once so far this season. We should've been basing our entire style of play around putting Afobe (and Dicko) in that situation as many times as possible.

Kenny is not at his last chance by any stretch of imagination he does need to look at why he has abandoned what worked last year & not really settled on what we are trying to be this season.

Yes we lost Sako & whatever Moxey said we were never going to be able to replace in the same way. We just needed to get the best replacement we could afford/entice (which so far Ojo has not shown himself to be)rather than messing around with weird formations & players out of position.

The worry I have now with the young & talented from our own stable policy is that that if we end up mid table (or worse) then anyone of any quality, potential or current, will become targets at the season end. Afobe, Iorfa, Hause reputedly looked at by Everton and even our U18s being talked about with Ennis. We are not likely to hold onto them without some success, or at least serious hope of it.

Attendances are also likely to be hit - certainly for me a trip to a home game costs approx. £100 once I add everything in & I would want to travel with some possibility of success or a least a decent home performance.

Will need to revise my signature as regrettably I don't now think it will happen, just looking for a measure of improvement from where we are.

Afobe was put through a few times against QPR but missed!

I think selling Stearman has also affected us going forward. Yes a lot of the time his long balls would end up in the stand, but he has also hit some great balls to spread the play. At the moment it's just hoofs down the throat of the CB

Afobe was put through a few times against QPR but missed!

I think selling Stearman has also affected us going forward. Yes a lot of the time his long balls would end up in the stand, but he has also hit some great balls to spread the play. At the moment it's just hoofs down the throat of the CB

Still can't fully understand the logic of that - not as if the money has done us any good

Stearman decision all about money and we have and will miss him. I like EEL but you can't deny he has made some bad decisions that have cost us. But tbf our general play has been lacklustre at best.
Danny Batth is not the Messiah despite almost coming from Gornal and people expecting him to turn it around on his own forget it!!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone expect Batth to turn it around on his own. We'll surely be stronger for not having one of EEL or Golbourne in the team though.

Back